Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
MarkEAW

Win10, and EAWPRO not working for me.

Sorry I didn't want to give you a price for your previous comment but was hoping to copy the mad laughter icon into my own thread somehow by linking it. I'm now going to pull my hair out and wait for the straight jacket to arrive.

VonBeerhofen

Glad you got too the flight screen!!!

On Win10, I know if you place the game in the programs files sub folders on C drive (your main drive I guess) it will have key/controller issues. Because it moves or duplicates the eaw.ini into a Appdata folder under the user name on the C drive. Its in a hidden folder I think.

I don't know for sure all the details, I've been running eaw under a 2nd drive to avoid any WindowsOS entanglements/security issues. But It could be something else too......

I recently disabled the UAC user account control on win10 just long enough to test out the eawpro, but no dice. Put it back on..... I also turned off DEP data execution protection on everything but windows os and services...still no luck. This one protects the system from incorrect use of memory i guess.

What ever is going on my system, it sucks. Its like your exe is targeted....why would the other exes run natively or in a wrapper, and yours will not. Makes no sense that it ran perfectly before. I just can't remember the last time I ran eawpro. Could be a number of times in the last year as I only ran each type or version of EAW for performance tests and thrills. old Log files are long gone too, I cleaned out my system a few times since.

Alright, oh I see them coming with the jacket now....... :|

Okay, guess what, Its running fine now.

I turned off all the Security for eaw.exe under Windows Security>App and Browser Control>Exploit Protection. I have 23 overrides. I configured your game exe and folder path I think to just ignore all the system settings and it ran to the flight screen and locked up and crashed....ha ha haaaa.....

I then remembered something about your game needed a joystick so in the wrapper program I checked virtual joystick on and the flight screen loaded up fine and played. I had to Hook direct input first.
I'm using the DXWnD Wrapper for fog supported gaming and high performance fps. I can send you my config file for the game settings in the wrapper.

Now I have to narrow down which function/security settings I can turn back on and still run your game. :) ugh. and then determine other issues if any.

Edited by MarkEAW

I'm digging the "targeting sight" when i move the mouse. and the indicator on it when i push one of the buttons on the mouse.....

Also flames out of the guns, from cockpit view. :)

Edited by MarkEAW

Alright well, one setting was preventing the game from loading.

Something called "Force Randomization of Images" Something about stripped images can't run with that on or something. So 1 system override, I see other programs have the same thing....and override for this one setting.

Anyhow, I wonder how the setting correlates with eawpro?? and not the stock eaw.exe.

Edited by MarkEAW

Absolutely brilliant Mark, Thx for being so persistent. Perhaps the main difference with Stock is that I bypassed the CD and OS check entirely. I'm also curious as to how Windows can ask for the CD when the check was bypassed. Is there perhaps a failsafe routine, I mean we've all happily been moving the game from one system onto another, including the mods we installed and it's never ever bothered us with that question ever again (fortunately).

Anyway, it's almost impossible to answer that question to the fullest satisfaction, I mean there's hundreds of changes and it could be anyone of those. Glad it's working again though, that's all that really counts. Good Job, you earned the prize after all!

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Yeah, CD Check....not sure. I know there's a database on windows with settings=fixes and modes that eaw.exe iis configured for. One of those is something about replacing the eaw.exe from the CD if something was wrong with it. However it doesn't have a way that I know of to know which eaw.exe is being used since all have the same name and company name (except the gog) release. They didn't bother with CRC checking the eaw.exe for any official version in the compatibility database. (opens with ACT toolkit).

I'll keep any eye on that until hopefully sometime , I'll figure it out.

So anyhow......WinVista and up have this Exploit Protection setting, I think Vista defaults to ON while Win10 is off. I had turned mine on again a few months ago :( oops.

But I think your issue was, since your brothers Win10 system loaded upto the flight screen and crashed, and also the controls where greyed out....probably except keyboard. it kicked the game out. 
I think this is the Direct Input not working correctly and or a Joystick needs to be plugged in.

So I hooked DirectInput and selected virtual Joystick in the wrapper and selected keyboard again for flight controls in eaw. Otherwise since the virtual stick is not there it kept firing..setting to keyboard fixed it.

Anyhow. It has fog support!! Finally I did mention that before.:) 

Don't thank me Mark, it's you that people should thank, just let me shake your hand there, lol. I think it's best to leave it as is for now, as I said nothing has changed. I only wanted to put the 3 patches together to make it 'easier' on players, you already have all the information on your site. However there's a few more things from my own version which I would like to add but I first need to compare the 2 different versions and figure out what's different and what to keep or not as it's not all finished. I hope I can find the time for it, so no promises. Thx again!

VonBeerhofen

No promises is what I live by :) lol. Well not totally true, but with EAW and figuring whats up with it today, is exhausting. :)

Alright well I know I haven't kept details of your mentioned changes on public forums in the past year or two. I was disengaged from EAW almost 98% of the time then.

okay. Well see you on another thread later? :) I think we figured it out, well me mostly ;) If you didn't give it a try on win10, i would have left ithe crashing issue alone for alot longer...but i jumped right back when you gave feedback.

Your welcome. (Now I have to explore more things in EAWPRO)....

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By johntitor
      So I'am playing this strike fighters 2 black sea crisis addon and I believe I did everything right . The campaigns work for all factions except United States air force . When I select them and a specific squadron of aircraft and click on generate campaign ,the game just crashes to desktop . The same thing does not occur for Russian , ukrainian air force  and united States navy . What could I be missing here . ? For some reason , the USAF aircraft are easily flown in single mission scenarios . Like the F16 will fly in single missions but when I try to click on its campaign . The game just crashes . 

Your help is needed!
    • By Pampero5
      Hello! Im creating a custom campaign on ECUADOR-NSA fantastic terrain, inspired on the81' incident between Ecuador and Peru but moved up to a bigger-scale war 
      So, the basics are there, every unit of the two countries, their bases and their characteristics, the aircraft etc. That is ok
      The in game menu too, campaign is choosable, it creates and both sides with their respective squadroons can be choosen. The campaign starts but here comes the problems
      1) In the ecuador side everything works well until the mission is finished= Crash to desktop
      2) On the Peru side, its worse: No matter what unit of what home base you choose, you always start in the middle of nowhere, only blue sky at sight and the game becomes unresponsive, only way out is the desktop. If i look before launching the mission on the map what is odd is this: No matter what unit and whith its home base you choose, the game appears to duplicate it and launch you at the bottom of the map in the middle of the sea
      idk where the problem could be, i copied desert duel's campaign "base" (air offensives, generic targets etc) because i couldnt find much knowledge about this part. 
      If somebody has a clue, let me know, thank you in advance!
      By Guest
      Hi,
      After updating to October 2008 patch, the game hangs and then crashes at 60% while loading an instant or single mission.
    • By Sabre1BR
      Hello, good evening people.
      I was back at playing the game after a while and it keeps crashing on me, especially during the campaign.
      I'm not sure what causes it, but it happens always after i order my wingmen to attack something (my target or not), seemingly happening after they lock onto something.
      I'm currently patching the game through all the official patches (Merged, June 2012 as of now - but going through July 2013 as i'm writing this)
      I'll keep updating this topic as i go on, but if there is no way fixing it by patching, is there something i can do (compat mode, messing around with .cfg, whatever) to correct it?
    • By KJakker
      Thought I would share this video I came across.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..