As we all know, the LOD exporter we can get at present can only support the old versions of 3dsmax and blender;

So being used to using the newer version of 3dsmax (2018) I ran into some troubles.
First of all, I can’t install max2009 because of some system reasons. I don’t want to describe it in detail. In short, I can’t, so I have to consider doing most of the work in 3dsmax first, such as splitting parts, setting axes and generating animation layers, and then Pass it to blender in FBX format.

Okay, let's end the bedtime story,

After importing the FBX file in blender, my axis settings and animation layers are all lost, damn, do I have to make it from scratch in bledner? Or am I simply overlooking some step?

Basically, my approach is, 3dsmax2018 → latest blender → blender2.79, or directly 3dsmax2018 → blender2.79, the result is the same

Or will any capable friends consider making an exporter based on the new version of 3dsmax? (I'm just saying)

By the way, upload one picture to prove that I am really working on this, lol

img00021.JPG

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 1

Nice, is it a Su-30? Or is it a -27UB?

I thought THIS was the modeling help you needed!!!:biggrin:

helpfull_model.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Nice, is it a Su-30? Or is it a -27UB?

kind of , it's chinese J-16, but I did modify it based on a Su-30, the model comes from a model trading website
After all it seems that the Su-27UB for torno already exists, I guess I won't do a duplicate

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wrench said:

我认为这就是您需要的建模帮助!:biggrin:

有用的模型.jpg

Really helpful thanks lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plus, I'd love to be able to make the mirror-like skin that the F-35C uses, there are photos showing VX-9 test squadrons using it, but the currently available mod doesn't include specular maps, so there's nothing I can do about it.

So the recent plan, after solving the problem of this thread, use new resources to make a new F-35B/C mod.

I think FastCargo did a great job, he and most of you are my seniors, it's just that the F-35 first entered the military in 2015 (it was only the Marines then, the Air Force and Navy got them much later) and his mod was last updated in 2010 , which is amazing.

Due to the limitations of the age at that time, there are many missing details in the mod, just like the F-35C actually has two wheels for the nose gear.

At the same time, Menrva is also redoing the cockpit details of the F-35, which fully aroused my enthusiasm for creation.

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wrench said:

I thought THIS was the modeling help you needed!!!:biggrin:

It's so beautiful! look at the tip of it.. even its not so big, it has amazing nook and cranny.. and nice foliage too.. (Is it GermanyCE.cat?)
thanks for Sharing!     

Just a thought aloud... assuming the limitations, if you have the model ready in 3ds with all and fries... why not ask a member with max 2009 to export it to lod?

PS: if it is feasible I can help with that.
PS2: When you see that it was a success, you can do the KnAAPO version??? (with the tip of the vertical stabilizer straight)

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PeacePuma said:

Just a thought aloud... assuming the limitations, if you have the model ready in 3ds with all and fries... why not ask a member with max 2009 to export it to lod?

PS: if it is feasible I can help with that.
PS2: When you see that it was a success, you can do the KnAAPO version??? (with the tip of the vertical stabilizer straight)

PS3: No it's not success , although I successfully imported the model into the game, I still lost all axes as well as animation layers, but I think you're right, there is always someone to help

PS4: Actually the original one is KnAAPO Su-30M2  (with the tip of the vertical stabilizer straight and and have a pitot tube)

PS5: Even with help, I still want to be able to figure this out on my own, I can't always ask for help, especially since we all might be on opposite sides of the world lol

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 3

Ladies and gentlemen, I have to come back to this thread.

I've tried searching on CAs regarding this issue, but or just don't know the keywords, and found nothing so far.

The white background picture is what I checked in the LOD viewer, everything looks correct, but in the actual game, it is obvious that the fuselage is invisible.

Does anyone have an idea, this has been bugging me for almost 2 days now.

1.png

img00025.JPG

Edited by simonmiller416

P.S. After about a week, I finally got the max2009 available again, and the import problem of the animation has almost been solved. The only problem that has no progress at this stage is the previous
(Apparently I've also had problems with smoothing group after switching to max2009, I hope I can fix it myself, but if any sir or madam would give me a light bulb of wisdom, I'd appreciate it)

Still on the way to learn more!

BTW, I would like to clarify that I will not release the Sukhoi model in the picture. The model does not belong to me and it is unethical to release it. I am only using it to learn the necessary modding skills

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 1

to many polys in one node can cause the wrong presentation in the game...if your fuselage is one mesh then I can see from here that it is too many polygons indeed. You will have to divide it into a few nodes - just do it smart and 'cut' pieces in 'smart' places.

smoothing groups will work but I gues you have unwelded vertexes, then it means you have double or triple count of polys. Select by drag and click one vertex - if it will display vertex  (example ) 235 selected than it is ok...if menu will display '3 vertexes selected' than you have to  Select vertexes in area and click target weld and set range to 0,001 this should solve problem. And you have to do it probably to whole model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

to many polys in one node can cause the wrong presentation in the game...if your fuselage is one mesh then I can see from here that it is too many polygons indeed. You will have to divide it into a few nodes - just do it smart and 'cut' pieces in 'smart' places.

smoothing groups will work but I gues you have unwelded vertexes, then it means you have double or triple count of polys. Select by drag and click one vertex - if it will display vertex  (example ) 235 selected than it is ok...if menu will display '3 vertexes selected' than you have to  Select vertexes in area and click target weld and set range to 0,001 this should solve problem. And you have to do it probably to whole model.

Exactly the solution! Thank you very much!

• Like 2

Hmmmm every thing work fine but

Shadow line bug happened...

According to my previous experience, this should be caused by the broken surface of the model?
I tried to fix the model in some areas, but instead of solving the problem, there is an extra shadow line,damn!:stars:

P.S. It seems to only appear at certain angles?

Ladies and gentlemen, can you give me more tips?

I've only heard in some other threads that this is a problem with the model, but no one seems to have explained it further.:clapping:

img00070.JPG

img00072.JPG

• Like 1

If you move around in game you can average/pinpoint which mesh gives the problem, and correct, multiple veritces on the same location or the broken mesh. Same created when a vertice goes to a position where it is crossing into a neighbouring polygon. You will have to weld these up the same way you did above or reposition if required. 
When you get a model from other makers, this thing can happen as not all is game ready. First thing to do usually is to weld "almost" everything or look for double surfaces which will create similar shadows. Depend on the model can be lots of work to make it into a condition where the game does not give glitches. 

Based on the above pic, you have several mesh in the castor mechanism area and one in the right intake.

Edited by logan4
  • Thanks 1

Or this is also a project teaser,while this J-16 is not available for public release for ever(as I said before), so far a brand new F-35C mod is almost for sure.

My guys are planning to buy some simple commercial models for mod making, F-35C and its cockpit is on the top of list

Edited by simonmiller416

Oh that sucks as I would probably just shoot it down, but a better F-35C I can go with.

4 minutes ago, simonmiller416 said:

While this J-16 is not available for public release for ever(as I said before), so far a brand new F-35C mod is almost for sure.

My guys are planning to buy some simple commercial models for mod making, F-35C and its cockpit is on the top of list

From modelling point of view, irrelevant if released or not.  You will have to suffer through the same thing with your fatAmy project too, like you go through now with the above bird. So learn, observ, remember, correct where needed. Rinse and repeat..

10 minutes ago, logan4 said:

If you move around in game you can average/pinpoint which mesh gives the problem, and correct, multiple veritces on the same location or the broken mesh. Same created when a vertice goes to a position where it is crossing into a neighbouring polygon. You will have to weld these up the same way you did above or reposition if required. 
When you get a model from other makers, this thing can happen as not all is game ready. First thing to do usually is to weld "almost" everything or look for double surfaces which will create similar shadows. Depend on the model can be lots of work to make it into a condition where the game does not give glitches. 

Based on the above pic, you have several mesh in the castor mechanism area and one in the right intake.

Ok... so this bug happens when two different polygons intersect ,like A inserts B, if I understand correctly, and what I need to do is weld up A and B into independent C, or simply separate them.

I got it, thanks! will check it out!

4 minutes ago, logan4 said:

From modelling point of view, irrelevant if released or not.  You will have to suffer through the same thing with your fatAmy project too, like you go through now with the above bird. So learn, observ, remember, correct where needed. Rinse and repeat..

Oh never mind, that paragraph is actually a bit off topic, it's just a preview ,lol

I still need to know more, btw thanks for your prompt answer.

10 minutes ago, simonmiller416 said:

Ok... so this bug happens when two different polygons intersect ,like A inserts B, if I understand correctly, and what I need to do is weld up A and B into independent C, or simply separate them.

I got it, thanks! will check it out!

Actually, there are several variations..

First is where you have multiple vertices on the same place that need welding. On the pic, A and B shows seemingly fine mesh, yet on C you can see there are 3 vertices in the same location, this will create shadow if unwelded. Also the same introduces an other problem, as 3dsmax will not weld things that cross into each other. So first have to separate the pin, then weld the double vertices and after that pactch up the hole on the original mesh where the pin come from.

On picture D there lurking a stray polygon, highlighted on E which will also create shadow issue, this either has to be deleted or mated to the correct mesh it belongs too.

Picture F and G shows a bit trickier shadow culprit.. Seemingly everything is fine, but unfortunately depend on the graphic engine how it decides to display a multi shaped mesh, the creation of triangles may cause overlap of polygon - for better illustration look at the part of I and the green circle. In this case on part H the outer vertices (black line) are out of line with the inner vertices (green line) shown on pic which will create a shadow in game. here you can either move the outer vertices to a location that not intersects or connect to vertices that will make the displaying different as it was done on pic J.

These are a few and their variations. a stray vertice also similar to the item discussed with pics F to J.

shadowstuff.thumb.jpg.41ff9fe1863cfe3962b89e9ec2fd5935.jpg

• Thanks 1

So this thread might become kinda personal WIP mini-dev thing, hope this is permitted lol

A recent little question,
1. Do we have a tutorial video about parachute setup?
I set up the scaling animation in 3dsmax, but neither in the LOD Viewer nor in the game, it doesn't work properly. (Actually I tried to animate the supersonic wave, maybe it didn't work for the same reason)
I've tried retrieving the content, tweaking the controllers, and trying to link the invisible surrogate model, but still no success, I think I must have overlooked some steps.
The link to the video I found seems to be dead, unfortunately.
P.S. At the same time scaling is successful for nozzle, which confuses me.

2. The cockpit model that looks normal in the LOD viewer is very abnormal in the game.
(1) According to what yakarov79 said earlier, I first considered that the model had too many faces, so I tried to split different parts as much as possible, but it was unsuccessful;
(2) According to my observation, at some angles I can see the reverse side of the texture, which is similar to the normal being reversed, but all this is normal in 3dsamx and LOD viewer, I have tried to unify in 3dsmax normal, but still no success.

I think I might still need some hints, but I'm in no rush, it's impossible to master everything in a short time, keep watching and learning.

The last image is another project being used for learning,legal model, but it's a little crude for a public release lol.

img00114.JPG

82F2NVPXNRVEJ0V.png

img00119.JPG

RussoUk's tutorial is good in the knowledge base:

Don't forget you do vertex animation not poly or mesh...

---------------

As for the pit problem, if you have flipped faces then you should make them face correctly. If not solves, send me over in PM then I can try to take a look at it, might be material or other settings issue.

Edited by logan4

5 hours ago, logan4 said:

RussoUk's tutorial is good in the knowledge base:

Don't forget you do vertex animation not poly or mesh...

---------------

As for the pit problem, if you have flipped faces then you should make them face correctly. If not solves, send me over in PM then I can try to take a look at it, might be material or other settings issue.

Thanks,

I can see that you are active in many threads discussing technical issues, and provided effective explanations and examples. I am glad to have you here

• Thanks 1