CopperminE

What variants of the AIM-9 were in service in the Middle East countries in 70s?

What variants of the AIM-9 Sidewinder were in service with US-friendly countries in the Middle East (Iran, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc.) in 1972, 1975?

unfortunatley thats true

best i can say is to get comfortable here

https://www.google.com/

image hunts, site searches, contacts with museums in those countries if youre comfortable (and theyre cooperative)

and check your list. Iran would be correct, but i think Saudi was leaning more to Britain in the early 70s, and UAE having moe a mix of British and French gear until the 1980s.

but do your own homework, i only spent 5 mins on my search of the two countries and, being not my cup of tea it, wasnt a deep search at that

• Haha 1

Apparently no one understood me. I have a habit of googling first and then asking real people. I just couldn't find the information I was looking for. The Saudis received sidewinders along with the F-5E in 1974. The question is, what kind of Sidewinders? B, E, J, N? Or may be even NAVY variants D, G, H?
I was just hoping someone on this forum knew this.

i relatively understood you

you've just picked one of those topics that needs alot of research, and you might be teh main one with interest in it (not Sidewinders, but i've been there all the same)

for google searching, break it into chunks and search each piece. Saudi missiles in 1974. Jordanian missles 1974 etc

here is an article i found just wondering if the N was even in service in your timeframe https://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Sidewinder-94.html

a takeaway i get is that most in the Middle East was probably using Bs at that timeframe. nobody there except Iran got the very best stuff upfront in the early 70s, and Iran only got it because the Soviets were next door to them and they paid cash, not recieving Military Aid Progrram goodies but that is my impression, it is not stated in the article

Edited by daddyairplanes

The DTIC has some released information here: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA398882 and the associated research report is here: ADA398882.pdf

Just a start but like @daddyairplanes said you'll have to break the query down into smaller pieces to get anywhere. The likelihood of finding all middle east countries in one research paper or KB is very slim.

• Like 2