The recent redux version of Zur's PZL P.11 made me wonder if we have ever had a terrain for the German/Polish 1939 campaign.

I had a vague recollection that a while back someone (Gepard perhaps?) was working on one, but I have had a good look in the various discussion forums and the download section but can't find anything like it.

Do we have such a terrain?

I don't think there is a Polish Terrain available but I sure would love to get one. There are a surprising number of polish aircraft out there but they are on other sites and not available here . 

Posted (edited)

Found the reference, it was a proposed terrain from Terrainmeister Gepard a few years back:

It would be great to see this one completed at some stage.  :smile:

Edited by Gatling20
  • Like 1

No unfortunately there is no Poland Map, I dont think even on Crapuns site there is one either. I hope you are enjoying my PZL reworks.

• Like 1

Poland is a big country with heavily changing borders. It would be a big challenge to make this terrain. This is not done in few weeks.

• Like 1

Understood, making a terrain is way beyond my skill, and I appreciate the work of those who can do it.

It could work as a 1945 scenario, with Germans in left side against Russian at right side. A never seen late-war map.

Posted (edited)

The polish border problem. The movement of the borders after 1945 would it make difficult to create a correct target setting. You would need two or three different terrains to cover all changes.

Ostpreussen_screenshot_000.thumb.jpg.f081a17ec9d418fdd44e56ea69de18e2.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 2

Well, if you are asking for opinions, my vote would be for a terrain based on the 1939 Polish-German borders and cities (since we already have terrains for the 1941-45 Russian Front,  and for WW2 Finland and Murmansk).  Not much room for a few Soviet airbases to the east of Poland in that Ostpreussen TFD, though.

• Like 1

Hmm... on second thoughts, I am not sure that a Poland 1939 terrain would be all that challenging. I have been playing around with some test missions on the stock desert terrain, using the available 1939 Polish and German aircraft (PZL P.11c, Bf-109D and E, Bf-110, Ju-87B, Do-17P and He-111), and it is all fairly one-sided. The Polish fighter is completely outclassed by either variant of the Bf-109, and even by the Bf-110, and the only German aircraft it can (sometimes) catch is the Ju-87.  So I think it would be an interesting terrain from the historical point of view, but unless you like lop-sided contests, it would not get much regular use.

• Sad 2

It was mostly one sided in real life as well, polish made some interesting tactics to overcome that, like flying patrols at higher altitudes to use diving speeds to catch bombers. Or try to exploit at maximum the maneuvrability of the PZL.11 against the enemy fighters. But If you feel that the PZL.11 is outdated try to attack a nazi column with a PZL.23.

• Like 1