Sign in to follow this  
ravenclaw_007

421st TFS F-4E , hard wing with TISEO

2 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

interesting is that on both pictures is the same aircraft bud in the upper one the ejection seat & canopy warning is just in red on the picture below it is with the white outline

i have this  version ( F-4E with hard wing and MIDAS 4 nozzle ) in the F-4E pack including the squadron , i just think about the shark mouth should i make a new one for this squadron ???

I personally prefer the style of shark teeth you are using. However, the photos in this thread clearly show a much different style that not only has more teeth, but is partially blocked by the air intake scoops. The eyes are different, too.

Interestingly enough, the 1/32 box art more or less shows the correct teeth clipped by the air intake, but the actual decal sheet comes to a point. They eyes are not quite right on both the box art and decal sheet.

Also note: in the last photo I posted, the radome got replaced with one that didn't have shark's teeth on it. The camo aft of the black area clearly does not match the rest of the aircraft.

2 hours ago, streakeagle said:

Also note: in the last photo I posted, the radome got replaced with one that didn't have shark's teeth on it. The camo aft of the black area clearly does not match the rest of the aircraft.

yap :good:  and the green color on the radome is different than the one on the aircraft , looks like as if they aircraft got a new radome 

an other question what year did this reinforcement plates on the stabilizers appear ???  i have them now on the F-4E_72 onward except for the hard wing birds

Image1.thumb.jpg.f6da60f1b1a90c7b4e6ffd56ee02dbfe.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.9203bf3304b73eb17e93ce6db0ee816a.jpg

thats how the look now on the F-4E_72

img00001.thumb.jpg.d1588f6fcac6fc53d0116c48f4a6cd85.jpg

img00002.thumb.jpg.7d2b9a58efe0b06e93ee151e2b5cc753.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

You might as well, or the "historical accuracy " gang will be on your back mate. :wink::drinks:

The re-enforcement plates started to show up in late 72  .

Edited by Sundowner
Cos I wanted to..
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

i mean i'd tell you to go tga route as most would know :biggrin:

if you want, gimme a day. i dont have a template for the shark mouths i've, but i can whip up a template that has guides, highlighing where the major parts are (nose intake, radome, gunbay  etc).

nice thin about that method is say you have a squadron where 19 have sharkmouths, 1 has a partial, and 4 dont.  shark.tga becomes your main, lets say shark013.tga is your one off, and the other 4 get 12px blanks so nothing shows. 

also useful in those circumstances where only a couple in the unit have one

but its just my two pennies on the matter

edit:  response was to the start of the sharksmouth conversation. aaaand i lost power for a bit, so there were some new replies i didnt read before hitting send

tga route would also help with the clipped art/new radome bit

img00048.thumb.JPG.62ce4639c7f23fe338d6e6459a3762c1.JPG

two styles of radomes (ok 3 to keep Ant happy :biggrin:) the lighter one is tga overlay, darker one the base skin

so defineatly go tga route, and will work up that guide system for you

Edited by daddyairplanes

Took a quick unarmed flight around a free flight mission, and found it more maneuverable than the stock TW birds. you can actually maneuver around and it feels natural. It looks good too in the cockpit, didn't pick up that much of an issue, and the framerates were good (I mean it was just me flying around too).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 9:11 AM, ravenclaw_007 said:

an other question what year did this reinforcement plates on the stabilizers appear ???  i have them now on the F-4E_72 onward except for the hard wing birds

From "The Modern Phantom Guide":

Beginning in the late 1970s, many F-4s received an arrow-shaped reinforcement plate on the stabilators. They are found on the top and bottom of the stabilators of nearly all F-4Cs and F-4Ds, many RF-4Cs, F-4Gs, and early F-4Es. Most late-model F-4Es (fy72 and later) did not receive them, while some received only the top plates, but not the bottoms, or vice versa. They were also applied to export F-4s, including many F-4Fs and most F-4EJs and RF-4Es, but not all aircraft received them.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1