swambast

Vietnam-Era Lovers: Vision for Unification

Posted (edited)

Here in the U.S., it is the day after Memorial Day.  Still fresh in my mind is remembering and reflecting on the ultimate sacrifices made.  And another reminder of how important it is to set aside our differences, and unify our thoughts and prayers around a common purpose.  And then each year as Summer heats up, it gets me re-energized around Vietnam as the August Gulf of Tonkin anniversary comes around that escalated everything.  And all that got me thinking…

The old glory days of widespread Vietnam interest have faded away, and today a much smaller and fragmented approach remains.  In my humble opinion, while individual projects and personal initiatives arise that are commendable, it no longer makes sense to continue to stand-up siloed projects.  We have eBurger’s legendary SF2V Air & Ground War, YAP and Revamped YAP, When Thunder Rolled, Capun’s Vietnam creations, individual project efforts and more.  Every one of these projects for various reasons have decided to “go at it alone” with a select group of participants and insiders.  And yet every one of them is re-creating the same things over and over again; offering different flavors/versions like the terrain, aircraft, ground objects, etc.  Can we consider a new and perhaps better approach this year?

I would like to propose joining forces and the unification of all these projects.  Bringing together, where it makes sense and is mutually agreeable, all available Vietnam project components, assets and team talents for those willing.  And we set a new quality and ethical baseline, a fresh start, collaborating to ensure we use only purified assets - those that have received proper permission and credit. This ethical approach not only honors the original creators but also upholds the integrity of the new unified vision.  One initial plan and consideration could be to deliver the project in phases.  Starting with the most important aspects of the war, obviously for me that is Operation Rolling Thunder.  And then expand to cover additional campaigns/strategies such as the Tet Offensive, Lam Son 719, and more.  Along the way we expand and cover what is needed – such as supporting/major helo operations (LZ X-Ray a must), Search and Rescues including BAT 21 Bravo, Recon aircraft such as Bird Dogs over the A Shau Valley and more.  We compare assets, we leverage what is best available from across the projects and where appropriate create a trusted sharing arrangement.  And it’s done in a controlled and manageable “piece by piece” approach broadening out the scope covering more and more aspects of the war.  I don't have all the answers on the nitty gritty how and what about this, or what about that - I'm just trying to first assess the possibility and potential interest.   

Let me also say, that I have been blessed and trusted by many modders with literally countless source files, permissible contributions and assets related to Vietnam.  Being a Vietnam fanatic, I have meaningful relationships in some capacity with every one of these separate Vietnam-era projects underway, including all project leaders.  I am already reaching out to them to further explore this idea and others as well.  In full transparency, having access to and being a major contributor to the When Thunder Rolled project opens up incredible new options and considerations no longer exclusively payware and many more options for freeware and donation-based approaches.  For example, instead of creating yet another terrain foundation, perhaps the WTR terrain that already included the ground-breaking original/enhanced version with rail lines, Ho Chi Minh trails, NVA camps and countless other details could simply be leveraged - and then simply enhanced for accuracy and "updated" vs. having to “do it all over again.”  Obviously just one example, but when scaled to the entire scope of possible assets becomes a major accelerator to enhancing Vietnam-era assets with better options available today.        

I am wondering if we could set aside and work through our past and differences, and look towards a different future.  By coming together and unifying our efforts, we can combine the best of our resources, talents, and ideas.  This unity not only becomes a rallying point, but also fosters a sense of community and love for a shared purpose among all participants. We can create a cohesive and powerful tribute that far surpasses anything we could achieve alone.  

Could this be a possibility; what are your thoughts?

image.thumb.png.96b55c46c47a5d58b2e4912399dfedc6.png

Edited by swambast
  • Like 11

Man, thank you very much.
That's all I need to say.
You have my unconditional support.

• Like 2

I haven't (and I'm sure others) haven't seen eburger around so there's that issue, but it does sound like a good idea.

27 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I haven't (and I'm sure others) haven't seen eburger around so there's that issue, but it does sound like a good idea.

Yeah, but I've already personally collaborated/supported them in the the past and contributed to that project and likewise they in return permissions to WTR, so I don't really see that as an issue unless I'm overlooking something.

like you said, its a wide spread of interests and alot of the Vietnam focused people have bowed out or reduced their activity greatly

others arent too interested in Vietnam itself, but sometimes interests intersect with South East Asia (or at least get within visual range) and they can have things to offer as well.

if you could get a group together of those that still have major interest, teamed with those that have made stuff over the years thats socked away on hard drives, with quality contributions from anyone willing to share whatever will improve it,  that could be a beautiful thing

a mega mod on the scale of what your talking about (or what WTR could have been and YAP should have been) is kind of like inception.

its not impossible. its just bloody difficult

• Like 4

Recently I've had the desire of working on a project like ODS 30AE again, but based on the Vietnam War. I'm all in for this, we have many talented modders in here who are still active, most of them I had the pleasure to work with for ODS 30AE. Next year it'll be the 60th anniversary of Rolling Thunder, so how about ORT 60AE? If I'm on it, I can guarantee my best to make it happen with care and passion, just like we managed with ODS 30AE. :drinks:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, swambast said:

Yeah, but I've already personally collaborated/supported them in the the past and contributed to that project and likewise they in return permissions to WTR, so I don't really see that as an issue unless I'm overlooking something.

Okay

Not a modder but I wholeheartedly support this endeavour. 

Vietnam is what got me interested in SF2 and it's still my go to when playing the game (although Korea is cool too).