Posted (edited)

I'm currently in the process of adding some refinement and updates to the Formosa Freedom campaign to take advantage of various Century Series and ROCAF mods that have been released since this campaign first came out. I've been given permission by JonathanRL to upload them. Always thought it was a solid campaign but it's started to show its age in a few places. Still in the process of working out some kinks here and there and trying to find issues of my own making. I've found just about everything I've needed for USAF and ROCAF aircraft and just need to update the F-104A, B-57, and Skyraiders (no more Korea era dark blue!) Below are the changes/additions/improvements I've thought out to this point. Please let me know if there's anything you think I've missed or should change. NOTE: I don't plan on uploading this as an all-inclusive

Terrain: Now uses Wrench's recent Formosa Revamp

Aircraft Updates: F-100A and F-106A updates by paulopanz, F-101B by Yakarov79, ROCAF F-84G and F-86F-40 from Wrench
Aircraft Addition: RF-101C by Yakarov79, B-47E by Coyote Aerospace
Aircraft Removal: F-101A/C, B-52D

Edited by Viggen
  • Like 6

which B-47 units are you using?

i did skins for all of them, although it was far enough back that i dont recall who was regulars to the Pacific

I have the 509th on it now while I wait to see a B-47 actually show up in the campaign. Sorry, I meant to include that I was using one of your skin packs!

• Like 1

nah its all Coyote Aerospace

v2k built em up, and i dressed em up purty :lol:  ravenclaw did the conventional bombs iirc, and GKABS the big boy (Mk15s)

i believe 509th went to England semi regular. all the units rotated 6 week alert duty at forward locations. i didnt keep the books on them tho, and dont recall who went to Guam, Alaska and Korea on the regular

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Viggen said:

I'm currently in the process of adding some refinement and updates to the Formosa Freedom campaign ....

Just tell us what else we can improve, maybe some modders have still some stuff that has not been unearthed yet. 

and how we can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Appreciate the offer. I'll try to think of anything. More data on the 1959 ROCAF ORBAT is all I can think of right now. I also wouldn't mind a CIA skin for the P-2H to stand in for the ROCAF Black Bats but I'm going to try that one myself. You modders have done so much over the years and for almost 20 years I've done nothing but say thanks and download the work. About time I try to really give it a shot.

• Like 1

don't forget the terrain's been revamped, too. just in case you hadn't noticed ... <gr> :wink:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Way ahead of you! Terrain revamp is what got me doing this. Had to go through and change the airport names in the campaign ini to reflect the new names in the terrain targets ini. Checking town target names right now to see if they match the campaign base areas.. So far Gaoxiong and Makung aren't reflected, luckily I still have the 2012/2013 era terrain installed. (Note to self check these tomorrow)

I haven't dug through SF2 ini files in forever, but it's coming back quickly.

Update: Makung is now Magong and Gaoxiong is Kaohsiung.

Edited by Viggen
  • Like 1

Like riding a bike. ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is quickly becoming more than just a simple upgrade as I dig further into the internet to find more and more little details. I told Jonathan this and he said he trusts me with it. Big praise!

I have no idea how accurate this is but I found this to be interesting. If PACAF was sending task force rotations to Taiwan that changes some of the dynamics of the campaign. I doubt ADC would commit any aircraft but I'm a sucker for the One O Wonder and the Six so they'll remain. I'll be looking for alternate data to back up any claims before I would add any squadrons http://taipeiairstation.blogspot.com/2011/10/history-of-us-air-force-in-taiwan-part_30.html?m=1

Additionally, a rough (very rough) mod of the P-2H to become an RB-69A has begun. Still need to make the CIA skin, I'm just doing ini stuff right now, like remembering how weapons stations work. I only have the wikipedia article to go off of, but apparently the RB-69s and EP-3s used by the CIA Black Bats carried Sidewinders for self defense. The RB-69 would be little more than eye candy in the campaign but I find it a very interesting story. https://www.key.aero/article/lockheed-rb-69a-spy-plane-cia-used-over-china

img00001.thumb.PNG.b6714a458bca0ef6de59c88c5b3e4b02.PNG

Edited by Viggen
  • Like 5

I may have something worth sharing. I recall that many years ago I modified JonathanRL's 1959 campaign to happen during the 1958 Taiwan Strait Crisis. Basically, grounded on this RL event but still keeping US involvement. I can't recall if I had fixed the OOB as well, but it's worth considering.

Also, my Nations & Medals Expansion add-on fixes the insignia for the RoCAF. Due to an oversight by TK in the Nations.ini file, it was using the later '92 roundel instead of the proper one for Cold War years, despite the correct roundel texture exists in the game's files.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s definitely worth sharing! The 1958 crisis was in the back of my mind. I’d love to take a look at it or include it. 

Nations & Medals Expansion is something I definitely forgot about but would definitely be to the benefit of anyone who wanted to fly ROCAF in the campaign. 

(Notes to self for later today: Nations & Medals, check integration of campaign ini changes made yesterday) 

@Viggen This is what I had, definitely not good enough since it was an early work in progress dating back to almost 10 years ago or so: CampaignT1.zip

The OOB might be pretty wrong. What I recall is that the Chinese navy ships that JonathanRL used for the campaign actually are anachronistic. I don't know if we have more period correct ones. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

I haven't gotten around to checking the PLAN ships yet, still focused on other assets for now. I'd imagine the fleet would still be comprised of former ROCN and IJN ships in the 1950s and maybe the earliest of Soviet or domestic designs? Questions for later.

Running into an issue where the USAF units I want to appear a couple days later are shown on the planning map on day one. Campaign start date is October 2, I have these units starting on October 5 and 6. Not sure why that isn't working.