Sign in to follow this  
Lexx_Luthor

NightWatch

I've stumbled into a peculiar x 3 insightful news and analysis source called NightWatch, run by, I think, Kforce Inc.

~> http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/NightWatch.aspx

NightWatch is an internationally acclaimed nightly newsletter that tracks and assesses threats to US national security. It has an edgy, executive style unlike any other product of its kind.

:good: Indeed. I noticed that style the first time, and had to keep going back ever since. Its fun to read and a fast roundup every day for those without time. Best, the NightWatch is presented in a simple text page without all the distracting flash and colours. I've always said one word is worth a thousand pictures.

Today's report, NightWatch 20101208, is especially fascinating (Japan, China, NK, etc...).

...although I made the mistake of allowing auto-update to FireFox and now have to scroll right to read the full text. I hate automatic software updates. Oh well.

They're pretty good. I've subscribed to them for about a year now. Short and to the point. I like them much better than Stratfor.

You do have to keep in mind that they are adding analysis which is only as good as the analyst and his or her biases.

But I like Nightwatch, sitting in my inbox in the morning.

By subscription, do you mean the author offers more stuff? I couldn't find anything. I've noticed a lack of humour since the ME started protesting, but its coming back I think. :good: I figure so much is happening and stress maybe, or real life. I was catching up on the news over the weeks since Tunisia and this blew my hair back (but I would add; impoverish local business and wealth creation as well).

Nightwatch, 9 Jan::

The IMF is notorious for prescribing economic austerity measures that benefit bankers, but impoverish workers. Nothing has changed.

~ http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/NightWatch/NightWatch_11000007.aspx

:salute:

--

Typhoid, I found something un~really interesting in a related topic, in the forum discussion following one of Karl Denninger's recent "Market Ticker" poasts, on Iceland. Alot of ex~military (and airline) souls poast over there and among some Iceland stories, one poaster on page 2 tells about being able to track Tu-95s across the ocean with the hydrophones. Ever hear of this?

PROSECUTING! ~> http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=177996

discussion page 2::

:

:

My claim to fame then was figuring out how capture and to triangulate the signatures of the Tu-95's flying over the water creating acoustical signatures for the hydrophones. We stunned the radar guys by tracking them non-stop all the way to Cienfuegos!

:

:

Were the Bears that loud?

I liked the report on Afghanistan and shows the Kunar is in the words of my Team Leader, the "badlands"

Nice find thanks!

--

Typhoid, I found something un~really interesting in a related topic, in the forum discussion following one of Karl Denninger's recent "Market Ticker" poasts, on Iceland. Alot of ex~military (and airline) souls poast over there and among some Iceland stories, one poaster on page 2 tells about being able to track Tu-95s across the ocean with the hydrophones. Ever hear of this?

PROSECUTING! ~> http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=177996

discussion page 2::

Were the Bears that loud?

I know I've got the BS flag around here somewhere.....................

I think someone up there has been dipping a little to heavily into the imported Vodka!!

Eric :good: it is a fast almost daily "roundup" with humour for those without much time.

Tyhpoid::

Vodka

:rofl: lol hehe

Darn it, well it sounded really cool though. I've found a few things, but not much at all. Some papers that's it. Here's one (PDF) BOUNDS FOR AIRCRAFT TRACKING USING A HYDROPHONE ARRAY with some interesting sources including IEEE paper and something called Tracking of airborne acoustic sources using an undersea hydrophone array. Australian Acoustical Society Conference (Acoustics 2000), pages 79–86, November 2000. Perth.

Oh well

While I have no doubt that under the right circumstances a very low flying aircraft could be heard by hydrophones, the idea of tracking it "across the ocean" is silly because no one would fly at very low level "across the ocean"!

I dunno. It may depend on the "uniqueness" of the signature, and if different enough, even at low sound strength, could be filtered from the soup. Tu-95s are loud but I don't know what they sound like. They say B-36s at their ceiling produced an unforgettable deep sound at ground level (prop sounds mixing together I think), and they had a good ceiling. If a distinctive enough sound can cross the media, even at low strength, it might could maybe be filtered out. The guy in that thread claims to be a software guy. Hydrophones are all about software and the US NAVY was universes ahead of everybody else in sound software back then. So, who knows lol.

Due to the contrarotating turboprops, Bears are loud. Intercepting planes from the F-4 to F-14 to F-15 have all noted it's one of the few planes you can hear from inside THEIR plane, over all the noises they already hear.

Can subs hear a Bear on ASW patrol? Yes, as was demonstrated in HfRO. Hydrophones, however, are on the ocean floor and can be literally a mile or more below the surface. I don't know how well a surface noise would propagate straight down, but my gut would say unless the plane literally overflew the hydrophone they'd not pick it up. Sort of like a MAD has to be very close to a sub to sense it.

Jedi::

but my gut would say

:drinks: yea I have the same feeling. Butt, think about sound propagation vs magnetic lines of force propagation. Mag lines fall off inversely with the cube of distance, no matter the medium -- air or water -- same behavior. This is the big problem with MAD which requires close proximity.

Sound is a world apart. My gut tells me otherwise, but I'm wondering if in theory the *best* way to detect an aircraft acoustically at a very long distance would be if the sound were propagating through water. Assume you, in air, can faintly hear a (high altitude) Bear at 50 miles away, slant distance. Now, that Bear Sound would hit the ocean directly below at only 8 miles say, and be much louder, although probably greatly diminished somehow when it changes medium. Once in the water, any surviving piece of diminished Bear Sound can then propagate with less attenuation than in air for maybe a thousand miles if software can pick it out. I don't recall ever hearing anything from air when I swam underwater though, but then I never really paid attention.

Also, if I recall :grandpa: , some, maybe alot (most?) NAVY hydrophones are on the ocean bottom in shallow water (continental shelf and islands?) to stay within the acoustical restricting layers of potential targets at shallow depths (Soviet subs won't dive to 3 miles -- I hope). But I don't know about the distribution of the phones so I'm guessin' here. Anyways its fun to think about. Anything is more fun than banking.

I've heard about this, but not so much in mainstream media (MSM): Chinese building mining operations in Afghanistan.

For the Night of 18 July 2011::

:

:

Iraq-China: Iraq has asked China to set up a fund to aid in the country's reconstruction,...

Comment: If the Chinese accept the Iraqi invitation, they stand to profit handsomely from the American investment in lives and treasure to restore security, just as the Chinese have done in northern Afghanistan.

:

:

I dunno. An idea I've seen before is a behind the scenes power finance shift, like London to NY after WW2, shifting bank debt creation to Asia and 2+billion untapped potential "credit" consumers. The manufacturing factories have already been relocated there, in an operation dwarfing the USSR moving factories beyond the Urals in late 1941. Maybe that's a good analogy. :good:

lolz

For the Night of 9 August 2011::

China rejects that the Indian Ocean is Indian. India rejects that the South China Sea is Chinese.

This is a fascinating quick read on the two navies.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

I know, its impossible, but it does get worse than Terrain Editor(banghead.gif)

NightWatch, 16 August 2011::

:

:

Afghanistan: A US report has found that $360 million in development aid for Afghanistan has leaked to criminal and anti-government forces during the past ten years.

Comment: The actual figure is probably up to ten times higher, if the leakage total included amounts lost in Pakistan in shipping supplies from Karachi port. The significance of the statement is the implicit admission that the US is funding both sides of the counterinsurgency. The yearly average of $36 million a year will buy a lot of small arms and ammunition and IED supplies, the main weapons of the Taliban.

NightWatch has reported on multiple occasions that one of the laws of counterinsurgency is that the wealthiest combatant usually finances both sides of the insurgency.

:

:

~ http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/NightWatch/NightWatch_11000168.aspx

Crissy-kopfpatsch.gif

Maybe this is one example of something Eisenhower tried to warn us about, but I don't recall him talking about giant banks or "finance." Need to look up his MiC speech again. The one thing I recall, it was very hard to read. Never listened to it. Maybe I really do need sound on my computer.

You can't make this up.

For the night of 27 November 2012

Egypt:

:

:

Protesters stormed offices of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party in three cities on 27 November, according to witnesses. The Muslim Brotherhood called on the army ...

:

:

lol

--- -- -

There seems to be a building purge in NK, going beyond the military, "to the population at large." Read about it at the Nightwatch.

*thump*

0BANG.gif
Nightwatch humour is BACK.  ...concerning the Mystery Airstrikes against islamic militia in Libya.

For the night of 26 August 2014::

Libya: The US asserted that fighter aircraft from Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)...

:

:

Egypt denied its air force participated. The UAE has been silent...
:

:

In a joint statement, the United States joined with Britain, France, Germany and Italy in expressing its concerns, saying "outside interference in Libya exacerbates current divisions and undermines Libya's democratic transition."

The diplomats did not specify what democratic transition is happening in Libya and where it is taking place.

~ http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/NightWatch/NightWatch_14000181.aspx

Emphasis added. The last line, pure fact (non commentary), having no need of being stated, but added for a tad of cynical humour. A wea bit of humour is needed these days. I'm learning something.
Heart.gif

Nightwatch humour is BACK.  ...concerning the Mystery Airstrikes against islamic militia in Libya.

For the night of 26 August 2014::

Libya: The US asserted that fighter aircraft from Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)...

:

:

Egypt denied its air force participated. The UAE has been silent...

:

:

In a joint statement, the United States joined with Britain, France, Germany and Italy in expressing its concerns, saying "outside interference in Libya exacerbates current divisions and undermines Libya's democratic transition."

The diplomats did not specify what democratic transition is happening in Libya and where it is taking place.

That also cracked me up!  I have to thank you LL for sharing Nightwatch.  I've been a religious reader ever since I ran into this thread several months back.  

What changes do you think are coming after the survey they sent?  Will the daily email require a subscription fee?

Blue::

What changes do you think are coming after the survey they sent?  Will the daily email require a subscription fee?

I don't know. Not subbed up. I just visit the web page, which is fast, neat, and of course, at times funny. Typhoid is the soul to ask if subs offer more info, and offer a possible fee.  Neither is advertised on the site...ah...as far as I saw anyway.

The survey seemed to be leaning towards a pay for service

Typh I figured that, more later been thinking about it.

This came up...For the night of 11 September 2014

Iraq:

:

:

Reaction to the US President's speech. The so-called moderate Syrian Islamists announced that they are allied to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

:

:

~ http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/NightWatch/NightWatch_14000195.aspx

I haven't seen this announcment anywhere else, although I've read there are hundreds of "moderate"©® Syrian rebel groups and CIA is trying to take more active control of them. I take it our "war" against ISIS is a setup for another go at bombing Syria. Is this Correct Thinking? At least the Nova Russia rebels don't defect with weapons to headchopper units like our rebels do. lol

The only correct thinking is to follow Vizzini's advice and never got involved in a land war in Asia.

Found a few things, but nothing concrete about alliance, and with what. For example...

Int'l Business Times:: 2'>US-Backed Moderate Group In Syria Signs Truce With ISIS

Which group? They don't know, and truce is not exactly alliance, at least my understanding of alliance, and of ISIS for that matter lol. Apparently, they truce so they can fight against Syria.gov rather than fight among themselves -- for now. After that? I found a close confirmation of a much earlier Nightwatch prediction of what happens after a Syrian fall to these types...

Col. Pat Lang, US Army (ret) over at SST. 12 Sept 2014

The coming multi-sided war in Syria

:

:

Supposedly there are 1200 separate rebel groups in Syria.  IMO delivering weapons to the "moderates" is simply making a delivery of materiel that will eventually end in the hands of jihadists.  

The fortunate final recipients will use this equipment to fight until they are destroyed by some of the bigger groups or merged into others, probably jihadist.

Let us say for a moment that some constellation among the galaxy of rebel groups succeeds in destroying the SAG.  What we will then see, IMO, is more genocide.  This time it will be against Alawis, Shia and Christians and a focus will emerge on Lebanon and Jordan.

:

:

~ http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2014/09/httpwwwwashingtonpostcompoliticsthe-emergence-of-arm-and-train-approach-one-measure-of-islamic-states-rapid-rise2014.html

WretchFest Maximus