Sign in to follow this  
eburger68

SF2 Falklands '82 - Fixes & Updates

The 500Ltr supersonic tanks on the Mirage are non-droppable as they don't cause problems for the aircraft. So the tanks staying on the aircraft is correct.

Would you by any chance have either ChrisBV's layered templates for his magnificent Sea Harrier skins, or UV/wiremesh maps of the new Sea Harrier models ?

Also, on the "bugs" list :

- Sea Harrier FRS.1 : The pitot tube of the Sea Harrier is skinned outside-in. The tailfin antenna should not be hollow.

- Harrier GR.3 : They were part of No. 1(F) Sqn. not No. 3 Sqn. (some came from No. IV(AC) Sqn. and the OCU).

On the things I'm working on, with no guarantee to finish it on time, so don't count too much on them from me and use it as suggestions :

- Harrier GR.3 : Modifications to use TW SF2E stock one, historical planes, including AN/ALE-40 and Blue Eric fits.

- Sea Harrier FRS.1 : Corrected skins for the new model.

- Skyhawks : Modifications to use TW SF2 ones as a basis rather than SFP1 ones.

Gunrunner:

The Harrier GR3 squadron is an easy fix. Any ETA on the other things you're working on?

Eric Howes

If you really need/want it, I could stop pixel pushing on the Shar (takes a long time and a lot of trials and errors for every change to be seamless) and focus and the GR.3 and Skyhawks, that would make them ready between the coming week-end (almost sure for the GR.3) and the next (depending on my patience and real available free time and for the Skyhawks).

The FRS.1 skins, without a layered template or UV/Wiremesh guide is in "2 weeks" territory for my level of expertise (somewhere low) and availability (varied and prone to interruptions).

Gunrunner:

If you're willing, I say go for the GR3 mods and the Skyhawk skins. The time-frame you suggest is completely reasonable.

Keepin mind that the 3rdWire GR3, like the Nesher-based Dagger, would be an optional install for those with access to those models. Once I have your GR3, I can adjust the 3rd-party data to match it, though.

Thanks,

Eric Howes

Being able to use the stock Gr.3 from SF2E would be nice.

Any chance to also be able to substitute the Mirage IIICJ cockpit from SF2I for the Mirage IIIEA in the mod?

I also have another issue/question. I have been playing around with high altitude air-to-air missions. In the real war, the Mirage IIIEA, which carried out most of the air-to-air missions generally flew at 35,000 feet where they would have a high speed/good fuel economy and be out of range of the SHAR which generally flew around 15,000 feet.

In the mod, a Mirage IIIEA with a standard long range loadout (2x1700ltr drop tanks/2xshafir2) can't maintain a steady speed at 35,000 feet even at full military power and will gradually lose speed until it stalls. In SF2I however, a Mirage IIICJ with a standard long range loadout (2x500ltr tanks/2xshafir2) will easily cruise at 35,000 feet at mach 0.90+ without using full power. Admittedly, the Argentine fighter is carrying a heavier load, but there does appear to be a large discrepancy in performance.

• Like 1

2ltJoch:

You can substitute the cockpit. For us to do it would require a change in installation requirements. I'll consider making it an optional substitution, but we would ship only the INIs to do it.

FWIW, the MirageIIIEA is already using a 3rdWire flight model from SF2I. I'll look it over again -- esp. draggy surfaces.

Eric Howes

2ltJoch:

I've now compared the Mirage IIICJ (Shahak) with the MirageIIIEA. For starters, the flight models are pretty much identical. As I said, I transplanted an SF2I delta flight model into the MF Mirage IIIEA. So why the performance difference?

1. Empty weight of the Mirage IIIEA is 1000kg greater.

2. Mirage IIIEA carries 800kg more internal fuel.

3. Your comparison used 1700 tanks vs. 500L supersonic tanks. That's another 1900kg additional weight for the Mirage IIIEA.

So, all told the Mirage IIIEA is carrying 3700kg more weight than the Shahak. That's a large difference.

Does someone have good numbers (empty weight, internal fuel, engine thrust, etc.) for the IIIEA? That would be something to double-check.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

You can substitute the cockpit. For us to do it would require a change in installation requirements. I'll consider making it an optional substitution, but we would ship only the INIs to do it.

well, I was able to put the cockpit in by changing the DATA INI to point to the Shahak data, but there is a line in the HUD I cant get rid of. Any ideas?

img00011b.jpg

2ltJoch:

I've now compared the Mirage IIICJ (Shahak) with the MirageIIIEA. For starters, the flight models are pretty much identical. As I said, I transplanted an SF2I delta flight model into the MF Mirage IIIEA. So why the performance difference?

1. Empty weight of the Mirage IIIEA is 1000kg greater.

2. Mirage IIIEA carries 800kg more internal fuel.

3. Your comparison used 1700 tanks vs. 500L supersonic tanks. That's another 1900kg additional weight for the Mirage IIIEA.

So, all told the Mirage IIIEA is carrying 3700kg more weight than the Shahak. That's a large difference.

Does someone have good numbers (empty weight, internal fuel, engine thrust, etc.) for the IIIEA? That would be something to double-check.

Eric Howes

Eric,

thanks for checking. it makes sense, but the fact remains that the Argentinian Mirages preferred to fly at high altitude and it does not appear possible in the sim. I will see what I can find out.

John.

so I ran some more tests. Using the 1700ltr drop tanks was not the right benchmark. These tanks were not supposed to be used in combat, but only in long range ferry operations. The Argentines used them because the 500 ltr drop tanks designed for combat did not give them enough flight time over the islands. However, both the 500 and 1,700 DT were used in combat.

I reran the same tests with the 500ltr drop tanks in both SF2I and the mod, making sure the planes had the same weight. As soon as I take off, I use alt+n to warp to the IP at 35,000 feet.

test #1 - SF2I, initial weight 20,690 lbs, 68% throttle. The planes start at 275 knots and quickly accelerate to mach 0.96:

img00014q.jpg

test #2: SF2K, initial weight 20,590 lbs, 68% throttle. The planes start at 279 knots, but are not able to maintain that speed and gradually slow down:

img00013o.jpg

so there is an issue of more than just weight. The Mirage IIIE appears to have less thrust than the Mrage IIIC.

In RL, the Mirage IIIE was powered by the Atar 09c engine which was more powerful than the Atar 09b engine used in the Mirage IIIC, although the diffrence may have been as little as 6%.

John:

As it is currently configured, the Mirage IIIEA does have more thrust than the CJ/Shahak. Here are the numbers:

CJ/Shahak:

SLThrustDry=41635.4

SLThrustWet=58841.1

IIEA:

SLThrustDry=46080.00

SLThrustWet=64840.00

The IIIEA does have a difference in engine thrust position:

ThrustPosition=0.0,-2.0,0.0

Try setting the position to:

ThrustPosition=0.0,0.0,0.0

As for the CJ cockpit, try using the attached files.

Eric Howes

MirageIIIEA_Cockpit.zip

Edited by eburger68

John:

I've just updated the DATA.INI in the MirageIIIEA_cockpit.zip attachment above. With that DATA.INI I have no problems maintaining a steady 0.96 mach at 35,000 ft. at 62% throttle with 2 supersonic tanks and three missiles on board.

Eric Howes

Thanks Eric, all problem(s) solved:

img00017a.jpg

img00018.jpg

...now I can get back to hunting Harriers...:cool:

Guys:

I have put together a beta update pack that includes almost everything that I've received to date (76.2 mb):

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/sf2v/SF2_F82_Update_Beta.7z

A complete list of fixes and updates is inlcuded in the ReadMe, as are installation instructions.

Before applying this update pack you hould replace your old Weapons folder with this newer, updated one (if you haven't already done so):

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/sf2v/SF2_F82_Weapons.rar

This update does contain some "optional" installs in a separate directory.

Please report any bugs or problems that you encounter with this update pack.

Eric Howes

I have updated the lynx from the Falklands campaign with a working search radar and a forward firing door gunner that can be loaded via a dedicated weapons station. I have also added a 360 degrees search radar to the Westland seaking. Would you like me to upload these or is there a reason you left them without working radars etc?

Cheers,

Dan.

Dan:

Please do upload them, and I'll see about incorporating them into the update.

Eric Howes

Improvements to the Falklands mod Lynx and Westland Seaking:

- Search radars for both aircraft

-Weapons positions on the lynx adjusted so the Sea Skua missiles are staggered on the pylons and torpedoes/bombs are carries on the station closest to the fuselage

-Addition of a forward firing door gunner for the Lynx that can be loaded via a dedicated weapons pylon, use the airbrake key to open and close the cabin/gunners door

-Additional crew and seats inside the Seaking fuselage

-Adjusted the Sea skua missile by changing its guidance type to CGR as the way it was it could not hit a moving ship.

To install:

Step 1 -Simply put files in correct location and make sure you over-ride all files when asked.

Step 2 -Because of the size of limit on the size of uploads to this post you will need to download the SF2 Lynx here ( http://combatace.com...2-has3-for-sf2/ ) and copy and past the cockpit folder from the SF2 Lynx HAS2 into the Lynx HAS2 in the Falklands campaign after completing step 1. Make sure you over ride when asked.

Dan.

Edited by dtmdragon

@Gunrunner

Yep, I mistyped 3 Sqn instead of 1 Sqn. Thanks for the catch.

-S

STORM:

Actually I think the squadron misidentification on the GR.3 was one that I inadvertently introduced in the conversion of the original mod to SF2.

Eric Howes

About the latest patch called "objects", I noticed the Argentine Sea King hasn't the same cockpit as the Royal Navy helicopter, is an error?

Greetings,

Ice Man

Teo

Ice Man:

The patch you're referring to is from dtmdragon, who added a new cockpit to the Westland Sea King. I wouldn't call it an error -- just a new cockpit for that one aircraft. If you want to use it for the Argentine Sea King, you're welcome to.

Eric Howes

About the latest patch called "objects", I noticed the Argentine Sea King hasn't the same cockpit as the Royal Navy helicopter, is an error?

Greetings,

Ice Man

Teo

I just checked my game and they are the same, can you post a screen shot?

Folks:

I have refreshed this beta update package with a few new fixes/updates. Fixed/added in this "refresh" are:

- upgrades for the Lynx and Sea King (new cockpits, avionics, and other misc things)

- minor fixes for the campaigns

- front line fix for British ships ending up on the wrong side in campaigns

- change of alignment for Port Howard in TARGETS.INI

- a few other extremely minor tweaks

Download link is the same as before:

https://netfiles.uiu..._Update_Beta.7z

A complete list of fixes and updates is inlcuded in the ReadMe, as are installation instructions.

Before applying this update pack you hould replace your old Weapons folder with this newer, updated one (if you haven't already done so):

https://netfiles.uiu...F82_Weapons.rar

As before, this update does contain some "optional" installs in a separate directory.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68