Sign in to follow this  
mppd

Simulating more weight on nose gear

Has anyone had any luck simulating more weight on the nose gear of planes in the TW series? The F-4 stands about 12 inches too nose-high in any model. I have tried varying the three relevant entries on the nose gear in the data.ini, and even tried changing aircraft CG but with no effect (well, there was an effect of course, but not more gear strut compression...) I cannot really cheat and change the strut length since the scissors link will contact the fwd gear door bottom edge. And most know how long the strut extends as weight comes off the nose on an F-4 - it gets really long. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike D.

Mike, try reducing the spring factor entry, the stock levels look awful dont they ?

[NoseGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=2

DragArea=0.25

HideGearNode=TRUE

ModelNodeName=gear_strut_front

InsideNodeName=

ShockAnimationID=5

ShockStroke=0.40

SpringFactor=0.05---------------------------This Line................. :grin:

DampingFactor=1.5

WheelNodeName=wheels_front

RotationAxis=X-Axis

ReverseWheelRotation=TRUE

RollingRadius=0.26

CastoringWheel=TRUE

CastoringNodeName=gear_swivel

Steerable=TRUE

MaxSteeringSpeed=41.15

Locking=FALSE

MaxSteeringAngle=45.0

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ControlRate=2.0

HasBrakes=FALSE

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=128.61

MaxLoadFactor=5.0

O.K. I'll try again - I think I tried going up and down by a factor of 2, 10, etc. - some put the nose into the dirt, some bounced the thing 100 feet into the air, but nothing I tried compressed that darned strut about 8 inches or so.....which is what we need. The TW F-104G has similar issues also I think.

I'm ready to cheat the size of the fwd nose gear door just to shorten the strut a bit.

The MiG-21's should sit A LOT lower to the ground then they do. You can see that in this video at about 2:22

Nope. Could not make any visual difference with the .INI edits. Did it in the animation slot for the nosewheel leg. Now for some revised .LODs...

Are you absolutely sure that you've tried every .ini parameter?

Only nosegear ShockStroke, SpringFactor, DampingFactor and aircraft CG. I went up and down, tried 0.00 and even a negative number for most. Shockstroke gives dramatic effects, but not strut compression.

If anyone can come up with a value I'd be interested - the whole F-4 CA community probably would if using stock/MF aircraft! Thanks for the interest.

Mike

Isn't this an SF2/2nd gen value? Is there anything comparable in the 1st gen sims?

Isn't this an SF2/2nd gen value? Is there anything comparable in the 1st gen sims?

It should be there since the '08 patch. BTW, it goes in the AircraftData section of the data.ini

Just take it easy on the values... (-90 degrees shpwn....)

post-5735-023530200 1294596315.jpg

Just take it easy on the values... (-90 degrees shpwn....)

:lol: hard to take off right :rofl::heat:

O.K. thanks, I'll give it a try.

:lol: hard to take off right :rofl::heat:

Just a little bit difficult :smile:

Perfect! Just outstanding. Exactly what was needed. Try OnGroundPitchAngle=-2.0 for any stock F-4. Looks 100% better. Thank you everyone.

By the way, is there a listing somewhere of any other not-so-well known (by me at least) new data.ini features of the post-08 Patch era? Thanks again.

Mike D.

Edited by mppd