A couple months ago I decided I wanted to start doing some modding and campaign building for the TW series. I have learned the engine decently I think and have made a few campaigns for my own amusement and have decided to build a major mod for the series. The focus of the mod is based on my own tastes for COIN operations, so not everyone will take interest, however I hope to add stuff so that everyone can find it enjoyable.

The Mod will be completely hypothetical entitled:

Wings Over Rhodesia - 1980's

It will explore a "What If" situation in which Mugabe never comes to power and Rhodesia continues to fight on through the 1980's against the ZANLA, ZIPRA, and FRELIMO in Mozambique. I have yet to come up with a backstory as to why this happens, or how Rhodesia is allowed to upgrade it's foces, and this is the least of my worries at the moment, but I will probably come up with something pertaining to Mugabe being killed when Operation Quartz was actually allowed to happen after the 1980 elections and Ian Smith gaining power again, and Ronnie Ray Gun doing some Cold War shady deals to get the Rhodesian Air Forced better equiped to fight the Soviet backed insurgency. Note this mod is not intended to make a political statement pertaining to Africa, it is just a setting to fly a COIN operation in a low tech enviornment.

Things this Mod will include:

Terrain:

All of Rhodesia, parts of Mozambique, parts of Zambia, parts of South Africa, and parts of Botswana.

Aircraft:

(Granted I can obtain proper permission)

Rhodesian specific mods of:

Canaberra B.2/T4

Hunter FGA9 (there is a FGA6 available need to check what needs to be done to change the standard)

(both of these will be upgraded to other units in the campaign)

F-5E (from Chile in 1982 in exchange for aid from the US)

A-4G (Accuired from Australia in 1983)

OV-10A (8 accuired from Thialand in 1981, 8 more accuired from Venezuela in 1983)

C-130H

Rhodesian AC-47 (As well as 4 more accuired from Thialand)

I would have liked to add helicopters, but as most are not readily available to everyone, I will be leaving them out. I might be adding more COIN tailored A/C but not sure yet.

All Squadrons will have skins, numbers etc.

Ground Units:

Infantry units to represent all factions.

Technical Trucks

Rhodesian T-55s

Eland

UR-416

Weapons:

I will be putting together an install specific weapons pack that will only include the weapons in theater

Campaigns:

I want to show the war being long and drawn out with the time period covering 1981-1989. I am considering making a few campaigns of differant phases or operations in the war. I hope to be able to manipulate the system in a way so that there are no "front lines" per say.

So there is interest from people that are not into COIN operations, I will be including a not as detailed campaign in which the Soviet Air Force deploys to Moz and air battles occur so some Cold War dogfights can occur over the terrain, but this will not be my main focus.

Odds and Ends:

All New Menu Screens

Install specific hangar and loading screens

Rhodesian music for all screens

Rhodesian Pilot picture Pack

Comprohensive Read Me in PDF form explaining the War and its phases.(For those interested in my alternate history)

This is a lot of work for one man to attempt, however, I have a lot of time on my hands and will be working on this dilligintly and will keep this thread updated as work is completed.

I will not be asking for anyone to do any work for me, I take pride in figuring stuff out myself. If someone with intrest in this project wants to do some of the little things in their spare time, let me know and I will certainly accpet the help, but I'm not posting this as an attempt to recruit anybody to work on my project for me.

Edited by Jeremiah Weed

depending on my work schedual I may be able to help skin some planes or ground vehicles. if you need them.IIRC Veltro is making a O-2,I think Rhodesia used a few civil versions for CAS and observation.

depending on my work schedual I may be able to help skin some planes or ground vehicles. if you need them.IIRC Veltro is making a O-2,I think Rhodesia used a few civil versions for CAS and observation.

If you want to man, that would be cool, I'm working on the terrain right now, and that is probably going to take a while, I envisioned for the skins the same Rhodesian Camo paint job with the TOE of the Air Force being:

No. 1 Squadron - Hunter FGA.9 (Upgrades to F-5E)

No. 2 Squadron - Vampire FB9 (Upgrades to OV-10A in 1981)

No. 3 Squadron - C-130H, C-47

No. 4 Squadron - OV-10A

No. 5 Squadron - Canberra B.2 (Upgrades to A-4G)

No. 9 Squadron - AC-47

The 0-2 would be a great addition, as the Rhodies used several light observation planes that are not currently available.

The Rhodesian T-55s had the South African Paint Scheme to them, however I'm not sure how to integrate them into the campaign yet, considering they only had 8 of them.

If you do decide you have some time and want to work on any of these just let me know. Appreciated.

I found some references to some Rhodie's ground troop camo uniforms if your interested.Here is what I found http://jasonswargames.blogspot.com/2008/02...t-infantry.html

Might I add,that this is a very thought out idea.Very good intellect on your part and this part of the world is often ignored.I'll be standing in the shadows and watching the progress.

Too bad they never got the Tweet.

If any aircraft ever built screams COIN more than the A-37 Dragonfly, I don't know what it is...

Too bad they never got the Tweet.

If any aircraft ever built screams COIN more than the A-37 Dragonfly, I don't know what it is...

Well, as this is completely hypothetical, I could easily add them, considering in this scenario they got F-5s from Chile, who also had A-37s. I honestly didn't know one was available. But now that I know this...

Edit, I just realized I saw it in a place where not everyone has access...

Edited by Jeremiah Weed

Ah, shoot.

You are right, I had forgotten about where I'd gotten that.

I hate to say it, but this segregation of aircraft is a real drag. It is hard to include an airframe in the INI if some others can 't get to it... :sorry:

What do you mean segregation? I thought that just about everything on this site was open to people with membership? Did something change?

What do you mean segregation? I thought that just about everything on this site was open to people with membership? Did something change?

That's the problem, B-Head, they aren't on this site anymore.

Sort of like the helos...

It's pretty easy to get access tho, i just sent an e-mail, agreed to the usage statement, and poof, flying the tweet!

What size terrain? Standard 1000km?

500km is possible with 4x the terrain detailing if my thinking is right.

I go larger maps for my stuff, but accept much less detail, so I'm guessing that smaller map would work in a similar spirit.

I love this idea. A-to-G/COIN missions are a ton more interesting than the strictly A-to-A sorties.

Any thought to adding the Impala? South Africa had them and some surplus aircraft could have been sold off.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5937

Good luck.

-S

Actually, I did think of this aircraft, but I'm not sure how willing South Africa would have been to give up some of their operational a/c, even to an ally, with their ongoing operations against the ANC and in Angola. Certainly with more money and support going to Rhodesia during this time period would have caused repercussions in South Africa where they would not want to lose any equipment they were currently using.

However, I do like the a/c a lot and it really fits the role well, so I guess I am at a loss as what to do. Right now I am going through the headache of building the terrain, it is going to take a while!

Thank you for the interest though, I'm glad a few people seem to find this idea interesting.

What size terrain? Standard 1000km?

500km is possible with 4x the terrain detailing if my thinking is right.

I go larger maps for my stuff, but accept much less detail, so I'm guessing that smaller map would work in a similar spirit.

I am working with the standard 1000, however for such a small area of terrain, maybe it would be better to make it more detailed?

It's pretty easy to get access tho, i just sent an e-mail, agreed to the usage statement, and poof, flying the tweet!

Yes, but I envision this being able to be downloaded in one file, without people having to find and download a bunch of other files, I can't do that using those a/c. Not a slag on them for doing their thing, just don't want to make it a pain to use this mod.

Now that's enough on that subject.

How about using the Jaguar/Sepecat?Would be a decent choice maybe?

How about using the Jaguar/Sepecat?Would be a decent choice maybe?

It entered service in 1973, I doubt any operator would be willing to give them up in 1981, especially not the British who didn't exactly support Rhodesia after the UDI on November 11, 1965. The Australian A-4Gs are even a stretch, but more believable than the Jaguar would be. It would take shady Cold War arms deals to get Rhodesia weapons in the 1980's. Nothing, that new anyways, could come directly from the UK, France, the US or any other Western Power.

It entered service in 1973, I doubt any operator would be willing to give them up in 1981, especially not the British who didn't exactly support Rhodesia after the UDI on November 11, 1965. The Australian A-4Gs are even a stretch, but more believable than the Jaguar would be. It would take shady Cold War arms deals to get Rhodesia weapons in the 1980's. Nothing, that new anyways, could come directly from the UK, France, the US or any other Western Power.

I can respect that and truly understand what your looking for.This gonna be hard row to hoe and think your doing the necessary steps too.Thanks for reply!

This looks like a brilliant idea! You have my full support.

Not sure about the A-4s, though. The Aussies don't go in for that sort of shady deal. I'd suggest something French, which would have been supplied through one or other of their client states in Africa, say Senegal or Chad, for example. early Mirage IIIs or Etendards, maybe. Or ex-Portuguese G-91s. Both ideas work better for me than A-4s, and there was a great deal of sympathy between the Rhodies and the Portuguese before Portugal collapsed. The OV-10 doesn't really fit either, although I do like your cover story.

What will fit in for Trojans, Genets and Lynxes? Any ideas? They'd still have been in service. Some still are, in a manner of speaking, with the AFZ.

The SF2 Hunter is first rate, by the way. If you do this for SF2, it should also work in earlier versions, I hope.

Going to do a jungle dustbin for me to shoot!?

Shame that there is no T-28 or maybe an armed version of the old T-6 Texan to use as these would also be pretty good as Coin aircraft and would also be more in keeping with the use whatever you have idea.

Also the G-91's are a good idea as it would be nice or maybe some of the early Dassault stuff provided by Israel. e.g. Ouragan or Mystere maybe even the Sa,ar. Which are on the site.

The SRAF ditched the Harvard in 1954 in favour of the Percival Prentice. It'd be pretty unlikely that they'd then acquire a new delivery - also, where from? The SAAF had no intention of getting rid of theirs, so they'd have to be bought on the open market. No, good idea, but not historically viable. T-28s were ordered via a thoroughly circuitous route, but never arrived. That probably explains why the RhAF ended up calling the Aermacchi AL60-B2Ls Trojans.

Early French stuff wouldn't necessarily be that much more use than the existing Vampires, although Super Mysteres (from Israel? Why not?) sounds good. And they already exist.

Meanwhile, I'm having fun with the Spit Mk22 - not for release, 'cos I haven't asked yet. I want to redo the entire skin, in fact. When it's done, I will ask. SRAF had 18 of them in the early '50s.

Nice Spitfire but I find the Spitfire is one of the most graceful airplanes about.

I thought of th Sa'ar as it was a re-engined Mystere and the Israel's sold them to Honduras or El Salvador.

But good point on the Harvard... But I know they used Reims Cessna's 337. I think and called them Lynxes.

That's right. That's the Lynx. They had a couple of rocket pods under the wings, and twin Browning .303s in a pod mounted above the wing, on either side of the cabin.

Meanwhile - this is one I did with the SF2 Hunter FGA9 as modded by Spinners, using a template I downloaded here. If I'm going to release it, I'll go from scratch, as I prefer to use my own templates. It still needs the ejection seat markings and the serial numbers, but that's all. Very few operational aircraft carried any markings other than the s/n.