About This File
906th TFG/89th TFS Skin pack for F-4D_78. It covers all schemes used (SEA, Euro and Hill Grey) and uses the actual tail codes the unit flew with.
This skin represents the 906th TFG/89th TFS, USAF Reserve F-4D's from Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton Ohio circa 1982-1989.
The 89th traces its lineage to that of a troop carrier squadron during World War II, flying the Douglas C-47 Skytrain from 1943 – 1945. The 89th earned a Distinguished Unit citation for their efforts in the air assault during the D-Day invasion of France on the 6th of June 1944. The 89th flew throughout the European campaign including the Battle of the Buldge. The squadron was stationed at Baer Field, IN, Sedalia AAFLD, MO, Laurin –Maxton AAB, NC, and various fields throughout the European Theater. The 89th also flew various types of gliders during the same period including the CG-4, CG-13 and the British made Horsa 1-A. Missions included airlift, airdrop, air evacuation and glider towing.
After the conclusion of WWII, the 89th was deactivated. In 1949 the 89th was activated in the Air Force Reserve as a Troop Carrier Squadron (medium). The unit flew the C-45 Expediter which was a military version of the Beechcraft Model 18 commercial transport. The squadron was stationed at Offutt AFB, NE, during the period.
The 89th also flew the C-46 Commando along with the C-45. The C-46 was a variant of the Curtis CW-20 commercial transport. The Commando carried more cargo than the famous C-47 and offered better performance at higher altitudes, but required more maintenance and had a higher loss rate. The C-46 was also flown by the 89th at Offutt AFB, NE.
The C-47 was flown again by the 89th during the same period as the C-45 and C-46 at Offutt AFB, NE. Missions included air, land, airdrop, and air evacuation. The 89th was ordered to active service during the Korean Conflict for a brief period in 1951.
In 1952, the 89th became a fighter-Bomber Squadron moving to Mitchell Field in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The unit began flying the F-51. The F-51 Mustang was best remembered by its former designation as the P-51. The F-51 was powered by a Packard built Merlin V-1650 piston engine producing 1600 hp.
In 1954 the 89th converted to the Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star. The T-33 was the first jet aircraft the 89th flew. Developed from the single seat P-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage three feet to allow for a second cockpit. The squadron flew the T-33 at the same time as the F-51 and the F-80 at Mitchell Field, WI.
In 1955 the 89th transitioned to the fighter version of the T-33, the F-80. The F-80 was flown in conjunction with the T-33 at Mitchell Field, WI.
In 1982 the 89th Fighter Squadron reactivated flying the F-4D Phantom II. The 89th flew the –D model, which had an upgraded radar, inertial navigation and other improvements. Missions for the 89th included air-to-air, air to ground, formation and air refueling. The F-4 was affectionately known as the Rhino and was incorporated into the squadron insignia.
In 1989 the 89th converted to the F-16 Fighting Falcon. The F-16 was the most numerous front line fighters from the mid- 1980’s to the 1990’s. The 89th flew the –A and –B model block 10 series airplanes. The –B model was a two seat version of the –A. The 89th F-16A/B’s were powered by Pratt and Whitney F-100-PW-200 turbofan engine producing 25,000 lbs. of thrust with afterburner.
In 1994, the 89th Fighter Squadron was deactivated. The unit was immediately reactivated as the 89th Airlift Squadron and became half of the newly reactivated 445th Airlift Wing. The squadron took on the new mission of strategic long-range cargo transport starting with the C-141C in 1998. In 2005/2006 it converted to the C-5A Galaxy and in 2011 received its first C-17A Globemaster III aircraft. The mission of the 89th Airlift Squadron is to deliver personnel and cargo, on time, anywhere in the world.
To install just move the folders to your:
Thanks to Sundowner for the skin. Thanks to DA for all the help getting these skins right.