About This File
In order to provide an urgent counter to the air incursions, with Saudi towns close to the border being bombed by Egyptian aircraft, an additional interim contract, called "Magic Carpet", was placed in March 1966 for the supply of six ex-RAF Lightnings (four F.2s and two T.4 trainers, redesignated F.52 and T.54 respectively), six Hawker Hunters, two air defence radars and a number of Thunderbird surface-to-air missiles.The "Magic Carpet" Lightnings were delivered to Saudi Arabia in July 1966, with an additional F.52 being delivered in May 1967 to replace a Lightning lost in an accident.
Lightning F.52 Slightly modified ex-RAF F.2 single-seat fighters for export to Saudi Arabia (5 converted - 4 in service).
Lightning F.53, otherwise known as the Export Lightning, developed as a private venture by BAC; while the Lighning had originated as an interception aircraft, this version was to have a multirole capability for quickly interchanging between interception, reconnaissance, and ground-attack duties.The F.53 was based on the F.6 airframe and avionics, including the large ventral fuel tank, cambered wing and overwing pylons for drop tanks of the F.6, but incorporated an additional pair of hardpoints under the outer wing. These hardpoints could be fitted with pylons for air-to-ground ordnance, including two 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs or four SNEB rocket pods each carrying 18 68 mm rockets. A gun pack carrying two ADEN cannon and 120 rounds each could replace the forward part of the ventral fuel tank.[nb 1] Alternative, interchangeable packs in the forward fuselage carried two Firestreak missiles, two Red Top missiles, twin retractable launchers for 44× 2-inch rockets, or a reconnaissance pod fitted with five 70 mm Type 360 Vinten cameras. (35 to RSAF; 12 to KAF)
- 2 planes (F.52 from Spinners & F.53 from Tk/TW) enhanced
- 3 RSAF New Silver Skins for F.52 & decalsets
- 5 RSAF New Silver Skins for F.53 & decalsets
- 1 RSAF Camo redone from J. Fox for F.53 & decalset
- 3 KUAF New Silver Skins for F.53 & decalsets
- sounds, pilot etc.
- canopy openable Key=10 with auto closing
- Tk/Tw for the plane (Exp. 2)
- Spinners for original F.52 data
- James Fox for F.53 Camo Skin base
- Paulopanz skins, decals, edits
- You need Exp. 2 to work
- put objects & sounds folders in your mod folder and overwrite