Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Charlie Daniels, a true American

I heard on the radio this afternoon that Charlie Daniels had written some open letters to those who oppose our efforts to oust Saddam Hussein. I went to his website at:

http://www.charliedaniels.com/

Charlie's most recent letter is towards Sean Penn. I guess he would be called the "Jane Fonda" of today's anti-war movement among celebrities. At any rate, Charlie's letters are a patriotic shot in the arm, after listening to the rants of Susan Sarandon, Martin Sheen, and Mike Farrell.

The only reason Jane "Commie" Fonda was not charged with treason was because the Vietnam conflict was not officially declared a war.

Chief W.

It makes me puke to watch Pearl Harbor and see Jimmie Doolittle played by Alec Baldwin.

It makes me puke to watch Pearl Harbor and see Jimmie Doolittle played by Alec Baldwin.

PASS THAT BUCKET THIS WAY QUICK!!!

Always liked ole charlie, glad to see he's still given 'em what fer.

Ditto FE bein back, glad ta see it. :D

yeah kind of like a prostitute talking bout the virtues of virginity..... :roll:

And what will this proposed war accomplish? Will we gain more oil, oil we should have found ways to stop relying on back during the Energy Crisis of the '70s? Will we devastate Iraq, its cities and its people? Will we further destabilize the knife-edge political climate of the Middle East?

World War II was a just war because the Nazis and Japanese were quite clearly militarily active in their invasions and attacks.

Desert Storm was a just action (it was too inconclusive to be called a "war) because Iraq was quite clearly being militarily belligerent in its invasion of Kuwait.

Unfortunately, we didn't kick him out back then when we had a clear reason to, and we are itching to "rectify our mistake". The problem is that doing so at this point is somewhat self-righteous, unfounded, and morally shaky. Saddam and his weapons are monsters WE created by supporting his regime and supplying him with chemical weapons back in the '80s. In fact, it was good 'ol Rumsfeld who encouraged Saddam's use of these chemical agents in attacks.

Thus we cannot claim to be much better morally than Hussein without showing ignorance of our own past.

that this is an unjust war?..and that we are as morally wrong as he is?..well son all I can say is you have a very short memory...we are at war with terrorism,he supports this and offers safety to those that would attack us and kill innocent Americans.Oil?? no I don't think that is the main reason for it,and even if it is we as Americans should support our fighting men and women in the field...now as for those anti-war people yes this is a free country and they have every right to be against the war but Don't disrepect the troops! those stars are COWARDS that didn't have even guts to do their duty and serve their country,and now they in all their pamperd and over paid lives find it in their hearts to say things against out military?I guess even chicken sh*t cowards have rights...and to the french and german governments...let cut ALL support for them.No more money,no more troops,no more anything,and the British have proved once again they are one of the few countries with a set and deserve our full and unwaveruing support

Now as to us supporting him in the 80s? maybe but that was then and this is now...yes we should have killed him in desert storm,but his so called elite army was so badly trained and lead I believe a cub scout troop with a new den mother could have over run them..btw...wanna buy a good iraqi rifle? never been fired and only dropped once.

The only thing that people are afraid of is that they might actually be called on to show courage and heart..something the younger generation seems to be missing.

Ditto, Dagger. Well put.

Perhaps our dealings with Saddam many years ago were wrong, but we cannot ignore the problems we currently have.

This war against terrorism is just that....a true war. If we do not take care of Saddam now, we will have an even larger threat, here on our

"doorstep".

It is time to spank Iraq, and spank very hard.

Chief W.

Im not exactly pleased with the way our President has went about preparing for this war. I would have liked to see more of a concensus built like his dad did prior to the Persian Gulf war. However, I wonder why it isnt clear to so many the danger Saddam and his kind present to all of us. Saddam has been the aggressor in the Middle East, not the Americans. We didnt start the Iran-Iraq war, Saddam did. We didnt start the Persian Gulf war, Saddam did. Saddam was only a few months from making a nucleur weapon when the Israelis demonstrated the guts to destroy Saddams' plant back in 1980. SAddam has gassed his own people, not to mention his enemies during HIS wars, killing 10's of thousands. Dictators like saddam want nothing but power, the kind of power that comes from complete CONTROL of other humans. He takes peoples dignity. Since he isnt over here, so many feel he isnt a threat. They make excuses for him. Does anyone here really beleive what he says? Ask the people who used to live over there before you condemn this war. Ask an Iraqi-American what he thinks. Ask a Kurd what his opinion of Saddam is. Ask a survivor of Saddams occupation of Kuwait and his torture what he thinks. These people were there and endured his terror. Your claim of big oil and our thirst for it is simplistic, naive, and myopic. You say that we used to support Saddam and so we did. So that makes it ok now to allow his evil to continue? If I suffered from drug use in my youth and say nothing when I see a young person starting the habit, I am wrong bottom line. Just because I used to do drugs, doesnt make it ok to not try to save someone from the same mistake. It doesnt make it ok for them to do drugs just because I used to. The same idea can be applied to our past relationship with Saddam. If anything, we know he is a scumbag even better now. Its time to take him out. DOWN WITH DICTATORS!

And what will this proposed war accomplish?  Will we gain more oil, oil we should have found ways to stop relying on back during the Energy Crisis of the '70s?  Will we devastate Iraq, its cities and its people?  Will we further destabilize the knife-edge political climate of the Middle East?

hate to rain on your doubts,but taking that guy out would STABILIZE NOT de-stabilize the area,after all his regime is paying for homicide mass murder..

Unfortunately, we didn't kick him out back then when we had a clear reason to, and we are itching to "rectify our mistake".  

it was no 'mistake' as you say,I do NOT ever recall President Bush dad say we were going to baghdad to take out the regime..he said saddam was to give up kuwait or be made to give it up..no more no less.Mr Bush the son is doing what he Swore to do,PROTECT..as a personal thing Id be pissed off myself if someone had tried to kill my daddy,as saddam tried..

The problem is that doing so at this point is somewhat self-righteous, unfounded, and morally shaky.  

self righteous..no, more like self protection..unfounded? gee guess saddam has been co-operating all along? as for morally shaky..

how so? saddam has no morals..

Saddam and his weapons are monsters WE created by supporting his regime and supplying him with chemical weapons back in the '80s.  In fact, it was good 'ol Rumsfeld who encouraged Saddam's use of these chemical agents in attacks.

and just HOW and WHEN Did Mr Rumsfeld do this????as for supporting the regime,yeah we just might have,we were in a little problem with iran...

Thus we cannot claim to be much better morally than Hussein without showing ignorance of our own past.

sure we CAN claim it..we have NOT gassed our own people,we have NOT harbored terrorists..our past? oh you mean like having a US Navy man o'war blown outta the water and NOTHING done about it? or the khobar towers? both of which in my oppinion qualify as Acts Of War against us

(Saddam gases Kurds, and shia's, they are not his people just because they live within the borders of Iraq. )

you missed the point......Yeah they DO live within the country..kinda like WE have our minorities,but we dont go around gassing them...

(Dont repeat what the media says, they dont know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to Middle Eastern history, and or interpolitics and religion.)

might be time to say something...I do NOT I Repeat I do NOT just spout off without a few FACTS,do NOT patronize Me..I did 2 tours off of beirut and 2 to Camel Station back when the peanut farmer got upset and told the russians to get out of afgan land or the us would not go to the olimpycs....

Nobody likes the Kurds not even our Ally Turkey, the Iranians kicked them out long ago. They are the equivalent of western gypsies (no home, no nation, no nothin), all they have is themselves and the no-fly zone. As for the Shia's, consider that Saddam is just trying to finish off the Shia's in his own country... since he couldnt finish off his Shia neighbor.

The point being made was NO ONE deserves to be gassed...

(Here's how an Arab views his politics. 1st: Islam, 2nd: Tribe, 3rd: Nation.)

kind of like the folks along our bible belt huh...

(This is why there are so many problems in the Mid East that we do not understand. We view it as National aggression, when it is usually religious, or some old tribal rivalry that has existed since before western invasions into the area)

or not putting a country in the map perhaps....

Sorry, I started bantering, but it bothers me how the media, puts out the language, and the public just picks it up and runs with it. No one would like to control your views more than the media, and most media is misinformed.

as I said................been there done that got the t-shirt.. I make up my own mind,on my own beliefs and Knowledge.....

Look, it's clear that Saddam is now headed for the chopping block, and nobody is going to shed a tear when he goes - except maybe Jacques Chirac. However, I wish people who are in favor of the war would plz stop mentioning the fact that Saddam gassed his own people as one of the reasons he must stopped.

As has already been mentioned, it was the US who supplied Saddam with his own little Acme bio-chemical weapons of mass destruction starter kit back in the 1980s. Back then Iraq was at war with Iran, the mortal enemy of the US who had humiliated for many longs months during the Tehran US embassy saga. Back then Saddam was a "good guy". The surrounding Sunni Arab nations regarded Iraq as a bulwark against Iranian Shia exapansionism, whilst Western countries also thought of Saddam as the shield holding back what they regarded as a terrorist Iranian regime.

Most of the incidents involving Saddam gassing his own people occured in the north-east of the country. It was generally directed at villages on the Iraqi side of the border that had been overrun by Iranian forces. Saddam was entirely willing to wipe out both the Iranians and his own people - the latter in particular because he suspected them of being pro-Iranian.

When these horrific events were occuring, the West, and in particular the US, said absolutely *NOTHING*. No damning criticism, no demands that Saddam stop these atrocities. Now that he's enemy number 1, it's a totally different matter, of course. Don't make me sick . The guy is a scum-bag and he deserves to die, so don't use lame-ass excuses for why he needs to be liquidated. There are enough reasons to get rid of him without resorting to hypocritical reasoning. The fact he killed a million Iranians is being touted as one those reasons. Jeez, back in the 1980s we were pattin' him on the back for every Iranian body-bag being shipped back to Tehran. Now he's a bloody-thirsty tyrant.

Let's just get this thing over and done with. He needs to go, and the Iraqi people need to be freed, but let's not get righteous about how the West handled Saddam in the past. We should be hiding our heads in shame, not raising them with pride.

Let's not forget George Bush Snr's call to the Iraqi people to rise up against Saddam and that the US would support them. The Iraqi people listened and they obeyed, but as the fighting got hot, the US suddenly decided it wasn't going to help the Iraqi people after all. Are you guys old enough to remember over 1 million Kurd refugees camped on the side of a mountain in northern Iraq trying to escape from Saddam's forces. Thousands dided as the poor wretches had to survive freezing temperatures with nothing more than plastic sheeting supplied by aid organisations. Let's not even talk about the countless thousands of Shia who were butchered as revenge for their uprising in the south. Oh, yeah America, be proud.

If you think I'm picking on the Republicans, Slick Willie Clinton pulled the same stunt in 1995. Rise up, oh Iraqi people, and we will help you to shed your chains and shackles. The result? The Iraqi people were stabbed in the back a second time.

The fact is the US and the West in general support these despotic Arab regimes like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Kuwait et al and the citizens of these countries are all too aware of the fact. To say they are totally disillusioned would be a major understatement. If you travelled to the middle-east in the 1960's you would have found some of the most pro-American people in the world. They bought that whole truth, justice and liberty thang hook, line, and sinker. In return we supported and bribed their undemocratic, blood-thirsty governments to insure their loyalty, screwing these poor people in the process. Gee, and we scratch our heads as to why so many of them dislike or are at least suspicious of us.

Let's just kill this bastard, free the Iraqi people and keep our mouths shut. There's no reason why we should be pattin' ourselves on the back over how righteous and mighty we are. We should be hanging our heads in shame that it's taken this long to get the job done...

Damn straight AmonSul, you hit the nail on the head perfectly (and the best first post I've ever seen... :lol: ). I've been saying this exact thing for weeks.

We are the ones that created the mess in the first place, along with Afganistan and several other places I won't mention. We need to go finish the job we started 12 years ago and didn't have he guts to finish then. But it just irks me to no end that suddenly this is an issue, with no taking responsibility of the fact that we created the mess to begin with. Meanwhile North Korea is blackmailing and threatening us with nuclear weapons and we ignore the problem. If we are going to clean house, lets do it and get it over with, just don't feed me a bunch of bulls**t in the process... Sorry, got a little carried away there, I just had this conversation at a family get-together last night... :lol:

We need to go finish the job we started 12 years ago and didn't have he guts to finish then. But it just irks me to no end that suddenly this is an issue, with no taking responsibility of the fact that we created the mess to begin with. Meanwhile North Korea is blackmailing and threatening us with nuclear weapons and we ignore the problem

again,I do NOT recall bush saying we were going to go to baghdad and take the guy out...never...as for the gassing,folks still miss the point,that guy would NOT hesitate for a ny min to gas americans..to pass along that expertise and ways to make and use it.. the prnk is threatening yes but they also know just how far to push,I dont think we are ignoring them,we just going to talk to them when we READY to,not at THEIR convinience,btw if they use even one nuke,they do know their faminine problem would no longer be a problem..the biggest threat is saddam getting a few warheads,those he WOULD use..so you take out one buyer and then go talk with the dealer....but just curious,why is No One talking about the LAME DEAL that gave the prnk time to work on nukes......back in those days it would not have been so difficult to take out the reactor,kind of like the one in osirak was taken out...as for saddam,yep it was that thing of my enemy's enemy being my friend,im not closed minded to that fact.......

God Damn UN, whole worlds gone Vaginal, god I hope this resolution kills the UN credibility, and then NATO can collapse, then we can just have the ESA (english speaking alliance) since we're the ones that ever do anything. I'm starting to like the Spaniards though, and I've always liked the Turks; they'll get their pipeline back after we send Saddam to Rikers.

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!

ESA.. why not ESAK? and the spaniards are doing good,as is that lady prime minister from lithuania I think...but anyways,had a good laugh..

Up to this point, I have read these posts with an eye towards trying to understand all points of view. That all changed today. Now i see the bigotry the rest of the world accuses us of, may actually be justified. As a Black Male, I have never been to prison, and I take offense to the remarks of putting Hussein/Bin Laden in with one of us so they can be filmed while being sodomized. I consider that and the following post uncalled for, and made me ashamed to have to explain to my friend (who is a naturalized citizen) that this is what/how many Americans think, but NOT ALL. I thought this was a place for Flight simmers who loved the games to pass info and help on to each other. I guess I was wrong, and old prejudices die hard.

Thanks for reminding me of something I grew up with, and thought we were well on our way of putting to rest.

Nightshade, agreed. That post was over the top, and rather offensive in my view.

What do we as Americans accomplish by stooping to Saddam's level? Be should be above the types of things that we accuse Saddam and others of. He deserves a lot of misery for what he's done, but I don't see what your proposing will do to make up for all the pain he has caused. If we are going to kill him, let's drop a bomb on his ass, at least he's a casualty of war that way.

I thought this was a place for Flight simmers who loved the games to pass info and help on to each other

It IS,but you were reading in the wrong area,I definetly have gotten good tips from the boards for modding etc....as for prejudice,yeah as a Puerto Rican I can understand..however if I went around commenting on everytime I read or hear comments bout hispanics Id be one upthight man and THAT I dont owe Anyone..IF you read my post I was ONLY commenting on a few items,DEFINETLY NOT on the jail comment, I figured someone in a highger paygrade would problly notice and Comment on it more likely in private..as a matter of fact the issue COULD have been dealt with in a different matter, IE reply directly to the offensive post,or of course better yet the higher paygrade.....

If we are going to kill him, let's drop a bomb on his ass, at least he's a casualty of war that way.

rather good idea,if we can find the sorry ass LOL LOL,or if we can find all the decoy saddams then do it