Sign in to follow this  
bortdafarm

Bit of work on an Eindecker

I have to download the beta, but will ASAP! REALLY looking forward to it BTW... fun to watch it in progress, and hats off to you, take a bow!

RE: the undercarriage, I was wrong in prev post. As I mentioned there, the pic of the later Eindecker was front 1/4, so the perspective hide the shape of the pipes. You've got it correct, my mistake entirely...

Man that is sweet.

Ok, I scored a kill flying this - where is my prize? :haha::pilot:

:wink:

r_img00353.jpg

r_img00355.jpg

r_img00356.jpg

Lol it climbs like a freekin rocket at the speed of 76km/h.... thats hillarious... ;)

Tex

is every-one round here an idiot???

Well, of course it climbs vertically...

EmptyMass=094.5

Pilot, his breakfast and his clothes :crazy:

But. The point is that if you adjust that, you'll have you dig a lot into wing FM... which is not top priority for now...

same place it allways is...

The Wound Badge I always get while flying E.III... makes me feel like a test pilot.. :ok:

Anyway, the model looks fine and we're not testing anything else yet. I'll start looking into MG problem if it is .ini-fixable

I know it isnt ballanced yet... just thought it was hillarious that I carefully throttled like when I take off my Dr1 on hard settings and then it goes zooooooom and Im up at 2000feet.. ;)

So no pun intended at all just that it was fun...

Tex

WOW Bort! You're off to a GREAT start! Methinks you need to work on a thicker skin though...I'm sure the fellas are just jokein' around. :haha: Anyway its a "torquey" little bugger ain't it? Are you guys flying this thing on normal or hard? Definately a handfull on hard FM. Keep up the good work Bort, much appreciated. :good:

I hope this one will be ballanced for hard as the others released are ballanced on normal and hence unplayable on hard without reballancing...

Id rather see ballanced on hard.

Tex

I'm flying on hard and torque isn't that bad - let go of the handle and you'll see that plane just rolls about 30 degrees to the left and rolling stops.

'Watch your six' post-21726-1167862508_thumb.jpg

SPADs are XII... luckily they never use that cannon.. but I've taken plenty of hits(I removed steel armor from the pilot) and ended up gaining yet another Wound Badge.

:clapping: once you get the hang of that you can use it to your advantage ...it just doesn't respond in the same way as an aircraft with normal airelons..the entire wing flexes so it has to feel different than the other fighters...the entire wing is a flexible unstable constantly bending surface (even a string gust of wind would have twisted it cause-ing loss of control for a second) the climb rate is dorked for sure but that can be tweaked...increase the weight abit..( i had to remove a wing from the FM remember..it woudn't fly at all with only the one wing so i needed a quick way to get it airbourne to test other things out...etc)

it's not a deadly serious job i hate editing FM's with a passion...but when it comes to modelling a dangerous WW1 fighter aircraft that was a not exactly precision engineering when it came to areodynamics..(the entire wing flexes remember...it really was an old kite!) it provides some sort of challenge which having flown radio control scale models of WW1 fighters i have to say that it's not out side the ball park for difficulty..it's not twist and go...you actualy HAVE to fly it...which was what i was after ...(the AI seem ok with it allso)

just edit it to suit ..i have no idea what it's like on easy or normal settings it is mean't to be hard or at least tricky to fly you'll see it canm perform really very realistic maneuvers once you've gotten used to it's quirkyness and time lapse control response..

Hi Bort...

I really love your bird.java script:emoticon(':clapping:', 'smid_1')

:clapping:

However, it's a bit to fast (150+ kph). So I checked in my books, and apparently, the EIII (and EII) were fitted with a 100 hp Oberursel engine, and were rated for about 134 kph.

I had a look in your data_ini file (I need to reverse your rudder setting anyway) and I noticed you gave it a 200 hp engine. I downgraded it to 100 hp and guess what ... I got 135 kph (flat and level; congrats for your FM).

Just FYI, TK uses International System in his INI files; so the value is in Watt:

SLPowerDry=74570.0

Hi Bort...

I really love your bird.java script:emoticon(':clapping:', 'smid_1')

:clapping:

However, it's a bit to fast (150+ kph). So I checked in my books, and apparently, the EIII (and EII) were fitted with a 100 hp Oberursel engine, and were rated for about 134 kph.

I had a look in your data_ini file (I need to reverse your rudder setting anyway) and I noticed you gave it a 200 hp engine. I downgraded it to 100 hp and guess what ... I got 135 kph (flat and level; congrats for your FM).

Just FYI, TK uses International System in his INI files; so the value is in Watt:

SLPowerDry=74570.0

ok many thanks Froggy glad you like it!

i'll make the change to the HP....

Hm... Is it possible to make the whole wing just a large aileron and give it bending animation? :dntknw:

Tried playing with muzzle position, looked at other settings... no luck... The gun shoots from the upper wire joint. Is there something in the LOD at that spot?

Hm... Is it possible to make the whole wing just a large aileron and give it bending animation? :dntknw:

Tried playing with muzzle position, looked at other settings... no luck... The gun shoots from the upper wire joint. Is there something in the LOD at that spot?

yes i can't figure out what has gone wrong with the aiming...i'm working on it...if all else fails i'll make a custom gunsight for it.. :dntknw:

i've tried using the airlons for the wings with the eindecker in other sims and it never looks right ...i think it would be possible to animate it using some very advanced modelling stuff..but that's way out side my capabilities!!! :sorry: but you got the jist the wings are the airelons on the eindecker..now that has to be a scary way to fly! :crazy:

Great job Bortafarm. Terrific details. I am looking forward to flying the Eindecker against the Airco and the Niueport 11. You are very talented. The guys are just ribbing you. We all love your work and look forward to seeing more!!!

- MJ

By the way does anyone know when the Nieuport 11 is going to be released and where?

Cheers MJ!! :good::ok:

guys yeh the N11 looks great i see tho i'm not the only one who finds the FM and DM extremely hard work...!!

the more early war stuff the better IMO!!

heck i went back and re-read Capun's advice on the gun sight issue...and he had it nailed.. :good:

(i was just too distracted by the DM problems to pick up on what he saud at the time)

adjust them to this in the data ini and it's bang on again..

AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

tell you what tho i am having a strange issue...i can't get the DH2 and my Eindecker to appear in the same mission...one or the other turns up but never in the same mission..that's baffling...obviuosly it's not universal as the screenshots GR posted show but it's another one of those computer technical fiddle faddles that drive me mad lol! :crazy:

Try setting year to 1916, enemy activity to heavy, mission type to intercept and make sure you don't have any of my early SPADs installed. Or even adjust availability dates so that Dh2 and E.III greater chance to meet each other :)

Cheers MJ!! :good::ok:

Hey Bortafarm. The Eindecker got me thinking. You and Gr. Viper made good points the other day about realism. I get caught up in accuracy and I forget that you and all the other guys are just trying to add some fun in the mix. I also forget how much work you and the others put into these projects. Thanks a lot for the Eindecker.

-MJ

Edited by MJmorrow

:good: cheers again MJ ! it's getting a balance

Gr :ok: i got the DH2 and the eindecker together at last in game lol...id di as you said (left the spad 7 in tho.. i like it) is set bth the dh2 and eindecker to appear in 1915 same availability etc,,and start a mission in 1915 ...

Guest Charles

Nice start on the Eindecker, Bortdafarm. The 3D model looks good.

When doing FMs it is important to get the basics right before doing too much tweaking, though.

The Fokker Eindecker had an empty mass of 399 kg, not 094.5 as you have it. And as Froggy has pointed out, it had a 100hp Oberursel engine - you have it with SLPowerDry=149140.0 or 200hp. The wingspan was 9.5m, not 8.13, and the wing area was 15.4 square metres, not 24.77. Once you get all the objective stuff right, the rest usually falls into place.

It's easy to find these figures - figuring out what, for example, 'Lift due to control surface deflection' should be is much more difficult.