Sign in to follow this  
Firecage

New Winter Terrain from Tridyed Production

Ok heres a few screens of the winter pack that should be out this week sometime. I am working on the housing right now. I have the terrains and trees done. I had to find a balance between just looking greyscaled and keeping some color to make it look cold.

Hope everyone likes them.

img00061.jpg

img00066.jpg

img00067.jpg

:crazy:

Do I see some snowdrifts at the hedges? That looks good.. but the river is too warm..

Do I see some snowdrifts at the hedges? That looks good.. but the river is too warm..

Yup I am working the building at this point and then I agree the water nees to be more frozen over.

Looks good firecage but it also looks like a blue quilt I would think it would be more of one color. Having been in Europe many times during the winter.

I agree that some tiles are too blue (I doubt there were such severe frosts in Europe). But white tiles and the green tile partially covered with snow look fine... Green's the one several hedges below the landing gear in the third picture.

Will you also supply steam effect from pilot breathing? :wink:

I agree that some tiles are too blue (I doubt there were such severe frosts in Europe). But white tiles and the green tile partially covered with snow look fine... Green's the one several hedges below the landing gear in the third picture.

Will you also supply steam effect from pilot breathing? :wink:

Well of couse it's blue ... sudden climate change in 1917 and High flood tides caused the land to be flooded and the water froze on the ground making it a nice ice blue 8) right? <snicker> well it sounded good in my head when I thought of it ...

Yes I am really torn between a few different looks for the winter set. I think It may be more hand drawn on eah tile before im done. That pretty much what I am running into forthe buildings as well. Still a work in progress. I tried a few whiter ideas but each one just looked to .... well whiteand no color features yet.... oh well more work to follow...

No breathing smoke for pilots... at those speeds it just blew the smoke right back in so it doesn't show up when flying an open cockpit plane :nono: <another snicker>

You're doing good work, nice to see somebody thinking out of the box, and season about terrains.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, and only in that spirit, I pass this along:

1) As an "expert" in cold climates and agricultural land :haha: (hey, I'm off the back 40 in Canada, we get LOTS of the white stuff up there...), most farmers plow fields in the fall when the ground is firm -- just can't do it in the spring. So the ground poking up under the snow is chocolate brown.

2) Grasses in fields left fallow turn tan in colour after the frost, they don't stay green.

3) The blue shadows on snow is a nice observation, but it is VERY subtle, and only happens due to the low angle of the sun relative to the horizon. Less is more in this case if you're going for that look.

4) Snow is white, and white, and white. It doesn't matter how thick it is, or what's underneath it (unless it pokes thru) it is white. period.

And maybe just my opinion, but I find the trees arranged a little too orderly as far as spacing goes. Could use some more "randomness" if possible thrown in for a more natural look.

Just IMHO, take it as you will, trying to be positive and supportive becuase I'd love to use it... Best of luck, Happy New Year

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Well of couse it's blue ... sudden climate change in 1917 and High flood tides caused the land to be flooded and the water froze on the ground making it a nice ice blue 8) right? <snicker> well it sounded good in my head when I thought of it ...

See I knew it was that, see you aren't the only crazy one..... :lol::haha:

See I knew it was that, see you aren't the only crazy one..... :lol::haha:

LOL well both of me agree with that...

Bandy, no worries here on attitude I am aways up for any thing thats as constructive as that is. I agree on the trees thing and there is a problem so far of it (the game) only calling up 2-3 different trees/tileset that I can find. I been running into the same thing painting buildings... man a TON of the same house over and over (not slamming TK he did a GREAT job) is hard to not get caught as repetation.

Yea snows white I agree and each time I work on a ton of white the tiles lack good 3dism (ya I know but its my word). I do like the less hint of the blue as well. Also trying to make water like kinda frozen is getting me some as well.

Well keep the ideas coming anytime Im always open to good input. :clapping:

one could suggest that the reflection of the blue sky is casting the hue on the snow slash ice cover ... lol

Some of the fields would have been fallow, and some planted with winter wheat. In certain light conditions it might look blue. :crazy:

Edited by MajorDB

Maybe they are blueberry fields? :p

Guest IndioBlack
4) Snow is white, and white, and white. It doesn't matter how thick it is, or what's underneath it (unless it pokes thru) it is white. period.

Well water is transparent, so why does the sea look blue ?

Snow doesn't always look white, depending on the atmospheric conditions. That's why in movies, it's one of the hardest things to photograph properly. Just watch the snow scenes in WHERE EAGLES DARE, and note how the snow changes colour from shot to shot, no matter how beautifully graded it all is.

Snow may well be white, and I dispute that too, but it doesn't always look that way. So if you're going for photorealistic terrain, then expect the snow to look a little coloured.

The Winter Terrain pack should be available here in the next 20 mins. :clapping:

I am releasing a bit early and the buildings are not done but pretty much all the rest can be used well.

Edited by Firecage

Nice work Firecage. Have you considered an Autumn version also...