Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Computer freeze

Always if i crash a plane or I was shot down my computer is hanging up.

The only help is restarting the system.

Has someone an idea, how to fix it?

Config

Intel2,8MHz 2GB RAM Radeon X850XT

Always if i crash a plane or I was shot down my computer is hanging up.

The only help is restarting the system.

Has someone an idea, how to fix it?

Config

Intel2,8MHz 2GB RAM Radeon X850XT

Hi, Gepard. I've had this happen a couple of times in the past. Sorry to say that the only cure for me was to uninstall, do a clean install, and patch again. If this happened after patching, I'd download the patch again, you might have a corrupted file.

Guest Charles

Gepard:

FE gives problems (a freeze or a CTD) for some PCs with some graphics cards. There is a fix to a file which almost always solves this.

Extract the file Flightengine.ini from FlightData.cat in your "Flight" folder. Find the part where it says:

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=8192

MaxIndexCount=12288

MaxTextureCount=4096

MaxModelType=1024

MaxMeshPerScene=1024

MaxModelPerScene=1024

MaxLightPerScene=256

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

Change this to read:

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

That should get you flying FE reliably.

Edited by Charles

Charles ...

By makin' those changes you suggest , what do they actually do to help game play ?

I'm wanting to learn !

Thanks ~

Charles. It does not help.

But the gameplay itself is stable. It freezes only after plane crashes. There is no way to leave the program with ESC or Alt+Q. Only help is to pull out the plug from the socket.

Gepard..try the uninstall,I mean get rid of all folders left after uninstall..and then reinstall and repatch.try it then.

Now it becomes funny. The computer freezes now not more after crash, but if i press ALT+N after accomplished mission. Strange!

Edited by Gepard

Now it becomes funny. The computer freezes now not more after crash, but if i press ALT+N after accomplished mission. Strange!

Same thing I experianced last nite after patch, Actually that was the first time ever, that I had ALT=N'ed

It locked comp. up tighter than a drum. I havn't tried it since.

JimC.

did you'll have ANY mods installed?I mean just one could cause problems.

Same thing I experianced last nite after patch, Actually that was the first time ever, that I had ALT=N'ed

It locked comp. up tighter than a drum. I havn't tried it since.

JimC.

I am having the same problem with Alt-N after I installed the patch but only so far with the missions that came with the game and NOT Create a Mission option. The only mods I have are "Smoke Effects Pack - V2." .

Hitech

...The only mods I have are "Smoke Effects Pack - V2." .

Hitech

Mine's not locking up, but the game crashes after ESC to complete mission when flying the SPAD 7 3rd party a/c, and will not recognize or credit any activity (kills, hits, nothing...) with any other stock a/c as well...

I too have smoke effects 2 loaded, but a few others as well: Heck's army...

Just ran a test with my Spad 7. Didn't have any crashes but I saw a bunch of German two-seaters start doing loops until they crash into ground. As if their elevators were stuck or something - they wouldn't stop loops even after flipping to side when their wings were about to touch the ground.

Edited by Gr.Viper

Dagger, i have a clean installation of FE, no mods. I guess it could be a graphic card related problem. I have a Radeon X850XT.

When the problem appered the first time it always happend on german planes. Perhaps the game engine hates german planes ;-)

I just uninstalled, fresh patch download, and used the archived zip of my first FE downld (solid install), and it ran smoothly on stock AC. Yes, there were some odd enemy activities, somewhat better AI, but no loopy looping...

I then added A-Team Camel, first 3rd party anything, and it crashed the game on the load screen consistently. I then made the recommend FLIGHT INI mod mentioned above, and it got better, but crashed the game everytime I tried to fly more than 4 Camels [and I have a very powerful computer] with X1900XT vid card.

ATI issue??? 3rd party???

Definately something screwy with 3rd party A/C and AI. The AI flying EmlD's Nieuport does the loopy loop/stall/crash thing, and I've got a post patch flight model "plugged in" the data.ini. Thought it might help but it didn't. FWIW the ATeam has already acknowledged a problem with their planes post patch and are supposed to be working on it. What this has to do with CTDs? :dntknw: The Nieuport hasn't caused any CTDs. I don't have the ATeam's planes.

Dagger, i have a clean installation of FE, no mods. I guess it could be a graphic card related problem. I have a Radeon X850XT.

When the problem appered the first time it always happend on german planes. Perhaps the game engine hates german planes ;-)

Whats your system specs?and drivers up to date?We'll get it figured out.

Start > Run > Type in "dxdiag" > hit enter ... check to make sure you don't have an directx issues and drivers are all windows compliant.

Could be the way open GL is handled on your machine as well. That's in the ATI panel. You'll be able to see any errors there by clicking through the tabs.

Also might check your screen resolution and possibly what you have the game set up to run. If the game wants a resolution your system won't handle that might cause an issue.

I'd suspect a video issue or video related, but it could be video memory or system memory.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Erik

Post Patch - my game play is fine - until i crash\or occasionally when I shoot down an enemy - at that point my PC reboots. I will try a complete new install and test before and after patch again.

I think it runs now.

I uninstalled the game again, then i made a completely new installation.

Then i tried it again, but now with graphics set only to medium and now it seems to be a stable game.

It pity, that i cant use the high graphic quality, but i think better a lower quality and a stable game than in opposite game.

Thanks for all advices.