Sign in to follow this  
TexMurphy

Nieuport 24

Tailspin

The Cndc is one of the things Ive still got to sleep on.

In generall I would say that most planes so far have too much rudder authority both yaw and induced roll. This is not just the N24 and N28 but all of them. Though the N´s are at least imho in line with the rest of the planes. What could be done is to increase yaw and reduce the induced roll. Problem with this though is that this will require increase in aileron authority and in return you get a plane which rolls pretty much pefectly without the need of rudder. Atm you really need to induce the roll, maybe not a high end skill but minimizing the importance of it would result in a more easy mode FM which I dont want.

What Im trying to say is that part of me IS happy with the FM that is on the table atm but some part of me feels like Im missing something and that something could be done better.

But then again one has to reach the "good enough for release" at some point. Especially since Im goning away on my 3 week sking trip to Fernie BC on Saturday. ;)

Tex

Hmmmm....I was always under the impression that, due to the lack of aileron authority, without the additional induced roll from rudder input these planes would not roll very well at all. I think using the rudder to induce roll is an essential part of manoevering so rudder authority is important. In fact, in the original pre-patch game, doubling all the rudder Cndc values just about made the FM perfect, IMHO. Post patch, with the exception of the SE 5a which has far too touchy a rudder, I think most planes are pretty good in this respect.

Good evening. So far so good. Everything done. Please make a last BIG check on FM and MODEL.

N24 with 3 LODs, damage nodes and textures.

Ailerons shorted, thanx to v.Deutschmark, he gave me idea to make an N24 (non bis) with two Vickers. What do you think about it?

Skin makers, who got the LINK, please download template again, there are some changes, and damage textures added.

Cockpit comes soon.

Tex, about FM, i started on the ground with hard FM, i am in the air, the N24 seems to response to the rudder very bad...ist ok so?

Thanx for help and advises.

EmlD

N24.rar

Great job EmlD. ...keep up the great work you guys!!

Tex,

Wow!!! Very interesting ideas on compression, but that FM is a handful... (:blink:!) I had read the posts here regarding it, but still wasn't prepared when I got behind the stick with your previous version (not the latest FM release). Do you think you could write up a brief "tutorial" on flying it to our advantage and include it with the final-polished CA Dwnld? You've got fine advice here, but many will miss this thread and besides, a bit more explanation would help out a lot. For instance, I like to know why things behave the way they do so I understand...

It is just sooo different from any of the current AC FM (revolutionary perhaps in its own way) that many folks are going to be pulling their hair out at least in the beginning... As mentioned above by others, throttle control has NOT been a real factor in the game thus far, and I admit, I generally have it at 100% trying to climb/run/ or close in on a target, unless in cases of tight stall-fighting.

I know for me at least, it will require a near complete change in mind-set of how to fly this AC. Finesse!!! Maybe that's because of the available AC and their FM's to date (or the ones I've chosen to fly anyways...). A challenge to be sure, but this game keeps showing different flavours all the time. Isn't it wonderful?

Edited by B Bandy RFC

B Bandy, you should try the last version. It is far less "slippery" than the earlier...just needs more rudder, IMHO. :good:

Latest and most likely final version of the N24 FM...

EDIT: EmlD I forgot the dates... could you please adjust them... ;)

N24_data.txt

Edited by TexMurphy

Good news. N24 done....NON bis

Find differences! :biggrin:

Emld

post-21833-1172092407_thumb.jpg

Blimey that's tough. Can you give us a clue lol :search:

EmlD

The Rudder? And did it really have 2 Vickers?

Edward

Edited by Edward

OK, HWG!!!

We have now 2 Folders: (If you not have, create :))

1.N24bis folder with N24bis (1 Vickers, Rudder like by N17, no VertStab)

2.N24 folder with N24 (2 Vickers, round rudder like by N28, Vertical Stabilizer)

This post adding N24bis.

N24bis.rar

With this post adding N24.

Enjoy and don't forget about feedback (good or bad) :tomato: :)

Thanx!

EmlD

N24.rar

Hi,

The N.24 had only one vickers gun mounted on fuselage. The 2nd gun was optional Vickers gun on wing mount. Its the old, wrong thing which was common in the stock RedBaron3D where N.24 had 2x vickers on fuselage. RFC used N.24/24bis (and N.27 which should be very easy to rework from N.24) with ONLY Lewis gun on Foster mount.

If we are speaking on N.27...

The tailskid had diffrent construction and there were some changes in the axle. And N.27 was slightly longer and used totally diffrent airfoils since it had reworked wing ribs.

Cheers!

Edited by Lucas81

And one more thing according of FM.

I dont know id its possible here or not, but this plane should have huge rudder control. Now, she has almost none of it :sorry: What is more, she doesnt stall now. I was able to climb on normal FM on 90 degree zoom with speed of 35-40 km/h (about 20mph) without no further loss of speed. When i decreased the angle to 80, the speed started to increase.

I dont know if these are game engine limitations, but you should try to do something with the rudder reaction. Currently, pure boom n zoom dogfight looses its sense, since i cannot perform hammerhead because i have no rudder reaction at low speed (but i should have a lot then)

Hope it will help a little bit.

Best Regards!

She stalls around 30-35mph in Hard FM mode, same as all other FMs . It has been written for that mode..................

Edited by peter01

Hi, little update is here. Cockpit is ready, textures must be applied.

After that, i will upload N24 and N24bis with cockpits and update N28 to give it an own cockpit too.

Shall i change here something? (it is not too late)

EmlD

post-21833-1172744409_thumb.jpg

post-21833-1172744448_thumb.jpg

If this is the cockpit for the N.24, she should have it round from inside with ribs. This one is excellent but for N.17/21 or 23.

There is a small problem with the N.24 pit, because we dont have pictures of it. there is only 1 picture of cockpit in N.24bis replica, which has modern gauges. But many things should be similar to the earlier Nieuport models.

If you have painted 3d ribs on the outside of the fuselage, they shall be inside in the cockpit, too. Anyway, looking very nice!

Oh yes Lucas, you are right ..

I was making this cockpit after pictures of Nieuport 23...

As for ribs, i wont to let them out, because my fuselage has 2 walls and it isn't round :)

what makes a cockpit small.. if i place the ribs into it, it will look too small..

But anyway, thanx for advise.

Cockpit finished and placed into N24, N24bis, N28

N24's will be uploaded now and N28 updated to v1.02

EmlD

Excellent EmlD :clapping:

EmlD

Wonderful work on the Nieuport 24 and 24bis :clapping: I just love both of them. And the cockpit is great too :biggrin: We really needed these Nieuports in First Eagles. Thanks so much for doing them.

Edward

Edited by Edward

Hi, do you wont Lewis MG?

If you wont it, tell me:

1. Do you wont additional Lewis on top of N24bis?

2. Is it possible to make Lewis to be chosen in loadout menu as gun pod? How?

3. If no gun pod is possible, do you wont 2 different N24bis planes (one with Vickers, one with both)? Or should i just add the Second gun on the top wing?

4. What about N24?

The best solution is gun pod... but how?

I please you to tel me your opinion (not only Lucas81), is he the one who cares? Due to download quantity ..he is not the one.... :crazy:

EmlD

I'm another who'd like a Lewis on the top wing, either as well as or instead of a single Vickers, for the RFC variant.

How easily can it be done? Would the weapons editor be able to handle it?

(S!) ALL hi ;-)

I like a Lewis also!, :biggrin:

If it can not be done by LOD out then 2 planes installs,

One with and one without.

your friend in the FE sky

v. Deutschmark