Just some shots to show the progress. As you can tell, I got the Laser Designator on the bottom section of the nose and some kind of avionics hub in front of the cockpit. Now as you can see, the smoothig doesn't look real clean on the bottom side of the nose and the rear area of the main sings. That's because of the cuts made for the front gear doors and the flaps. I also did some more shape refinement on the ventral side of the fuselage (probably won't be able to tell from the shots).

post-2441-1173848710_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1173848750_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1173848783_thumb.jpg

O.K., here are 2 pics. One shows the landing doors hidden, and one shows them unhidden so that you guys can see what I actually did so far with the gear bays. Yes, I know I forgot to make a lip for the front bays. I will fix that later on. Also, if any of you have some advice on what it actually looks like (cause I couldn't find any reference material to show exactly what the inside of the bays look like) that would be very helpful. I have many save of many versions of this plane. So it is easy for me to go back and re-do some stuff the right way.

post-2441-1173916215_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1173916251_thumb.jpg

She's lookin' pretty hot :smile:

This will be my last update for the night. Weapon bays complete. Just need the hinges for the doors and pylon mounts - which will be taken care of during the final construction phase of the aircraft. Next to do will be the speed brakes and puting a dashboard and seat into that cockpit with the roll bar. After that... ugh... landing gears. Once that is taken care of, I'll be doing the asymetrical cosmetic features, such as the cannon, and some other feature on the opposite side of the aircraft. Here are the picks of the weapons and landing gear bays (don't worry, doors are there, I have them hidden so you can see the bays).

post-2441-1173937159_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1173937231_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1173937250_thumb.jpg

Next to do will be the speed brakes

The production versions do not have a unique surface for a speed break, like the two CDA aircraft. It's done with a combination of the rudders and flaps.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

So this pic that I have here, those "flaps" that are being deployed right behind the rear landing gears, that's not part of the production model?

post-2441-1173985947_thumb.jpg

So this pic that I have here, those "flaps" that are being deployed right behind the rear landing gears, that's not part of the production model?

Correct. They were on the two X-35's, but will not be on any of the F-35's (A, B, or C). For the F-35's, the "speed brake" will be the rudders both comming inward, and the flaps going down. I can't remember if the LEF's have a role or not. I can try to look tomorrow.

In the first pic here, you can see they've been removed.

http://www.lmaeronautics.com/f35firstflight/

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Please do, cause I already modelled them in (the LEFs). Well, this will definately cut some time since I don't have to do those speed brakes. I guess I'll work on the pit then. Been looking forward to do that. BTW, in regards to the LEFs, do they rotate downwards, or do they "slide 'n roll" out from a sheath inside the main wing?

Edited by serverandenforcer

Please do, cause I already modelled them in (the LEFs). Well, this will definately cut some time since I don't have to do those speed brakes. I guess I'll work on the pit then. Been looking forward to do that. BTW, in regards to the LEFs, do they rotate downwards, or do they "slide 'n roll" out from a sheath inside the main wing?

They just pivot about the back edge.

Building the dashboard for the cockpit. Got a ways togo with panneling, rivets/screws, buttons, switches, knobs, control devices (i.e. joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals), and some smaller displays. Unless you think that's over the top, please say so now and I'll stop while I'm ahead.

post-2441-1174022057_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1174022091_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1174022124_thumb.jpg

Building the dashboard for the cockpit. Got a ways togo with panneling, rivets/screws, buttons, switches, knobs, control devices (i.e. joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals), and some smaller displays. Unless you think that's over the top, please say so now and I'll stop while I'm ahead.

post-2441-1174022057_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1174022091_thumb.jpgpost-2441-1174022124_thumb.jpg

Great work! I have a few pictures that might help you with your panel. As you can see it is a complete push-screen panel except for the MFD below the main screen.

The stick is a side stick with a large throttle on the left console (like the F-16)

Here is a great website for reference materials.

https://www.teamjsf.com/

I hope that this helps.

Skelator

Lots of detail is always good- unless it kills your machine.

Great work! :good:

Based on Skelator56's pics, it doesn't seem like too many polys will be a problem, but how will you simulate the panel?

Lots of detail is always good- unless it kills your machine.

Great work! :good:

Based on Skelator56's pics, it doesn't seem like too many polys will be a problem, but how will you simulate the panel?

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Don't worry, I'm not going to release this thing until this jet can simulate the real deal as best as possible.

Hopefully with TK's release of "another jet sim", there'll be the avionics upgrade that allows the implemation of a lot of this stuff.

Avionics80.dll! :crazy:

Just as an info. update. I haven't given up on this project. Real life has finally kicked in. I"m back to work at my old job, and I've been working odd hours, making it difficult for me to do any modeling when I come home. I also have CDCs (carreer level tests) that I have to work on for my job in the Air Force. I'm also testing for Glendale P.D. and been devoting a lot more time at the gym than usual to make sure that the physical test will be a joke. I've started some work on the front landing gear. However, because there aren't really good pictures to show the detailed structure of the thing, I'm sort of winging it (no pun intended). There are a lot of other objects that need to be modeled on. I know that might be over-doing with the detai for this plane, and I might nix doing some of that. The goal is to release a model that at least meets the current standards of jets that are being uploaded for the community and be able to deliver it without haist (don't know if I spelled that right). Hoever, I don't want to give you guys a "rushed" job where I didn't connect all th points or where I have mesh holes in the model that I negligently forgot to fill in. The cockpit for the F-35 is basically done, it needs sme extra detail to the seat (nothing big and fancy) and I also have to figure out what the business is behind the seat - 'cause it's basically a big empty space (maybe the seat reclines or the pilot might need lugage space - I dunno). So that's it so far. Once I'm done with the JSF series, I might think of doing the Firefox from the movie "Firefox" and/or the SR-71 / YF-12 - unless someone is making one?

Edited by serverandenforcer

Just as an info. update. I haven't given up on this project. Real life has finally kicked in. I"m back to work at my old job, and I've been working odd hours, making it difficult for me to do any modeling when I come home. I also have CDCs (carreer level tests) that I have to work on for my job in the Air Force. I'm also testing for Glendale P.D. and been devoting a lot more time at the gym than usual to make sure that the physical test will be a joke. I've started some work on the front landing gear. However, because there aren't really good pictures to show the detailed structure of the thing, I'm sort of winging it (no pun intended). There are a lot of other objects that need to be modeled on. I know that might be over-doing with the detai for this plane, and I might nix doing some of that. The goal is to release a model that at least meets the current standards of jets that are being uploaded for the community and be able to deliver it without haist (don't know if I spelled that right). Hoever, I don't want to give you guys a "rushed" job where I didn't connect all th points or where I have mesh holes in the model that I negligently forgot to fill in. The cockpit for the F-35 is basically done, it needs sme extra detail to the seat (nothing big and fancy) and I also have to figure out what the business is behind the seat - 'cause it's basically a big empty space (maybe the seat reclines or the pilot might need lugage space - I dunno). So that's it so far. Once I'm done with the JSF series, I might think of doing the Firefox from the movie "Firefox" and/or the SR-71 / YF-12 - unless someone is making one?

The Firefox, the Firefox!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

By the way....nice job! :wink:

Yea..a Firefox would be nice!! Plus alot of the systems can be simulated based on knowledge gained from the Talon projects. Just the backward firing missile/radar thing which could post a problem. Got to think in Russian!

I'm really diggin' this thread. The F-35 was one of the first models I ever attempted back when I was first learning to REALLY model. (Talk about your steep learning curves) Back then, all I had to go off of for production F-35s was the little 1/72 Resin model from the Lockheed Martin Gift Shop, and THESE:

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Klavs/F-35a.zip

Maybe some higher resolution 3 views will help you out. They sure did me. And now I want to redo my model again, maybe give you some friendly competition! :)

Anyway, great work. It takes courage to model such a subtly complex aircraft in the face of so much criticism of the aircraft itself. Nice to meet another who appreciates the potential operational value of this keystone aircraft instead of running down the plane based soley on its external features.

Processing power and data gathering is 75% of the fight these days.

Cheers,

-A

Yea..a Firefox would be nice!! Plus alot of the systems can be simulated based on knowledge gained from the Talon projects. Just the backward firing missile/radar thing which could post a problem. Got to think in Russian!

okay have downloaded the file.

the site says it for cfs2000 and fs2004.

i saw a yukikaze jet there too.

can i have instructions how to succesfully incorporate thes FS/CFS jets int thirdwire games?

it will be nice adversary for zur's talon(i dunno what zur thinks about that.)

for some time the talon is unchallenged in FIGURES-skating

you know, hypersonic, stealth, range, detect systems, turn radius, etc.....

if it goes succesfully, then let the fun begin.

Edited by Shin_kazama

Never mind on the Firefox. Just found out that there is one available for Macrohard Flight Simulator located at this site: http://thinkinrussian.org/flightsim.cfm

I'm sure it can be easily converted for SFP1, WOV, and WOE.

okay have downloaded the file.

the site says it for cfs2000 and fs2004.

i saw a yukikaze jet there too.

can i have instructions how to succesfully incorporate thes FS/CFS jets int thirdwire games?

it will be nice adversary for zur's talon(i dunno what zur thinks about that.)

for some time the talon is unchallenged in FIGURES-skating

you know, hypersonic, stealth, range, detect systems, turn radius, etc.....

if it goes succesfully, then let the fun begin.

(sorry to the other guy i had replied this message to.... its for serverandenforcer, soo soorryy)