Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Man 12 Hours Day Shifts

are LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I second that.

My 12 hour shifts are done solo. I am the only one there for 12 hours straight. Talk about long!

I second that.

My 12 hour shifts are done solo. I am the only one there for 12 hours straight. Talk about long!

I got another controller with in case WWIII starts. But alone would suck big time!

when I was running rescue I worked a 24 hour shift..24 on/48 off,talk about long.

Yeah...I think that takes the cake.

I work 3 on/4 off so it isn't too bad

Try 16hr shifts several days a week...needless to say I'm looking for another job.

No thanks.

Guest Tazkiller

Try 10 plus hours a day.

Working with women, with attitudes that make P.M.S, seem like Christmas Day!!!!!!!! :crazy:

Try being the guy you work with.

Try being the guy you work with.

Fates 1 | USAFMTL 0

Besides it's not like they're on a tank crew.

Fates 1 | USAFMTL 0

Besides it's not like they're on a tank crew.

:haha::rofl:

Ha ha very funny.

However there isnt alot of space in this Command Post. 4 crew positions. 2 MOC controllers and 2 EA controllers. But the MOC isnt always there. When I was a TI, in 1995 I worked 271 days in a row averaged over 15 hours a day. Being a rookie basic training instructor was hell. That was a year I didn't think was ever going to end.

I'll ask my son in Iraq if a twelve hour shift is long.

We work 12 hours 0600-1800 2 days and then 1800-0600 for two nights then off for 4 days

Hey Bulldog, you sound like an airline pilot.

For Me, ...

Fed Aviation Regs (FAR) say No flight time may be schedualed more than 8 hours, but can go over due to circumstances (weather, ATC delays, etc) if the flight was already started.

No duty day may exceed 16 hours for any reason.

Company policy....

No duty day may be schedualed longer than 14 hours, but may be extended to not more than 16 hours due to reasons beyond company control (weather, maintenance, ATC delays, etc.)

What this means....

a schedualed 8 hour day of flying = roughly 14-16 hours of duty

I only get paid if the left engine is running (flight time) not duty time.

Think about that (your flight deck crew) the next time you get on a regional, or commuter airliner :biggrin::sorry:

I'll ask my son in Iraq if a twelve hour shift is long.

And he will tell you yes. I am not complaining. Just on the weekend here in my command post its usually quiet. During the week its chaos and easily can run into 14 to 16 hour days. I do not want to get into a peeing contest on who does what. Not the point, I am just killing time.

... ok so I have to ask

Let's say the left engine quits for any reason does that mean your off the clock?

lol, no. That is the generator that the system which tracks the times and other aircraft data is plugged into. If the engine fails, they know where we are when it happens, and will be expecting to be told when to stop worrying.

Dave, my only point was that I can relate to how you feel. It gets really hard to land even the easiest airplane when you are approaching that 16 hour limit. Frankly I don't see why the FAA allows it for anything other than trans-oceanic flights.

... no aux generator running off the PTO starboard? You fly for TED don't you?

LOL

:rofl:

No, but close..... Until yesterday I flew the Be-1900D, Tomorrow I start transition training to the EMB-120 Brazilia

Dave, my only point was that I can relate to how you feel. It gets really hard to land even the easiest airplane when you are approaching that 16 hour limit. Frankly I don't see why the FAA allows it for anything other than trans-oceanic flights.

Undrstand, I was responding to firehawkordies remark.

about 11 hours into a 12 hour mid-shift, one gets the thousand yard stare...............

I did severak stints as the Shore Patrol Officer in Hong Kong where we split up the shifts that way. But then, Shore Patrol in Hong Kong has sailors and Marines coming up with incredibly interesting and innovative ways to catch the attention of the Shore Patrol..........

on one occasion though we (the carrier group) bailed out of Hong Kong on an emergency sortie to avoid a typhoon. I was the only E-2 Mission Commander to make it back to the ship so I spent the next 4 days on the alert crew (after the typhoon got tired of beating the stuffing out of us....)

those were long hours........

And he will tell you yes. I am not complaining. Just on the weekend here in my command post its usually quiet. During the week its chaos and easily can run into 14 to 16 hour days. I do not want to get into a peeing contest on who does what. Not the point, I am just killing time.

You and I have been friends here for a long time so you're right, no contests. I just like to poke sharp sticks at sleeping dragons occasionally. I know all about long shifts, and extreme boredom so it's fun when it happens to some one else. After all the Vets and Active/Reserve guys stay rather tight here, as it should be.

Stay bored aned stay safe.

Edited by firehawkordy

You and I have been friends here for a long time so you're right, no contests. I just like to poke sharp sticks at sleeping dragons occasionally. I know all about long shifts, and extreme boredom so it's fun when it happens to some one else. After all the Vets and Active/Reserve guys stay rather tight here, as it should be.

Stay bored aned stay safe.

rgr that! :biggrin:

Try 16hr shifts several days a week...needless to say I'm looking for another job.

WTF?? Do you work at EA or something?? :tongue: If so, I'm surprised they let you home!

"...When I was a TI, in 1995 I worked 271 days in a row averaged over 15 hours a day..."

Just curious, but did(do?) you get some kind of bonus for that kind of marathon?