Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

F/A-18A and F/A-18C

Hey guys, for you US Navy fans, I got a question.

Looking at various sources, it seems there are very few external differences between the A and C model of the Hornet, except for a few new fairings (bumps) and some new antenna.

I know internally there was an upgrade in avionics, allowing carriage of newer missiles, targeting pods, and AG weapons, plus an upgraded cockpit.

Can anyone give me the differences in thumbnail? Basically, I've been flying around in SFP1/WOV/WOE, building a 'C' model by mostly just adjusting the data.ini to change loadout capabilities.

Maybe another way to ask...what can one model do the other model could not do.

FastCargo

As far as cockpit's go, the fuel quanity indications were completely changed. Later model "C" 's had night vision cockpits (lot 14 and above. Data recorders were upgraded along with GPS, etc etc.

Outside not much besides the "humps and bumps" was changed. Internal, avionics bays changed some.

"C" models even had different antenna setups depending on the "lot #" it is.

Weps wise...... i only worked on and taught "C" and above, so your loadouts depend on what time frame your flying in I'd say.

I think it amusing that the F/A-18A and C were closer together than an F-16C Blk 30 and Blk 50.

Guest Saganuay82

I have been hoping that the MF would release the D model as a B. I have seen the D model in a screenshot once. That way I can have it for my CANFORCE install. The D uses the ground radar which is holding it up for the patch but it doesn't matter for the B.

The C was modded here and released but due to the wrong procedure and not asking for permissions, it got hauled off again.

Perhaps you could upload your C mod if everything is done right ? :)

I have been hoping that the MF would release the D model as a B. I have seen the D model in a screenshot once. That way I can have it for my CANFORCE install. The D uses the ground radar which is holding it up for the patch but it doesn't matter for the B.

The C was modded here and released but due to the wrong procedure and not asking for permissions, it got hauled off again.

Perhaps you could upload your C mod if everything is done right ? :)

I've got a C model block 36 (with the new engines installed in 91) but have held off uploading it at the request of some of the MF guys who have been working on a C and a D (both of which look really great!) I haven't seen any new movement on that front for awhile.

I've been using my C and the MF WIP D in a Libya campaign modded to the 92 time frame. Works great.

I got a sheet of info from my VFA son on the changes to the F18 blocks. They generally referred to the F18s as blocks rather than A or C models because, as noted above, the real differences were all in the installed equipment and new weapons and avionics upgrades. The E and F, of course, are a different issue.

Guest Saganuay82

So you have the MF D? Can you tell me if the skins from the A fit the D? Or will the D need new skins instead of modifying the current ones?

Just a short sidekick-question:

What does a "lot" number indicate? Is it similar to the "Blocks" on F-16s or is it a whole new thing?

Also, you guys talked about Blocks on the F-18.

Is there any source where I could read and collect unclassified data about that?

Just a short sidekick-question:

What does a "lot" number indicate? Is it similar to the "Blocks" on F-16s or is it a whole new thing?

Also, you guys talked about Blocks on the F-18.

Is there any source where I could read and collect unclassified data about that?

LOTs on F/A-18s are the same as Blocks on Air Force aircraft.

The only difference is that when you number LOTs, you use Roman Numerals..... :ok:

i.e., LOT X, LOT XIX, etc. :biggrin:

So you have the MF D? Can you tell me if the skins from the A fit the D? Or will the D need new skins instead of modifying the current ones?

I don't know. I can try one on for size and get back to you.

Guest Saganuay82

That would be great so I know whenever it gets released if I have to redo the CF188 skins to fit.

That would be great so I know whenever it gets released if I have to redo the CF188 skins to fit.

I didn't test the CF188 skin, but I did install the Marine skin from the released F-18A into the wip F-18D and finished a modified Libya campaign last night. Worked fine.

not trying to hijack the thread.....

hey typhoid... what ship is that pic from in your profile?

They should have the super hornet but anyway the F/A-18c has more advansed electronics and targiting systyms if you have any more Qustions lick this you should go to FAS.com (don't put this in the address bar yahoo or google it)

Hi FastCargo

Did you ever put FLIR pods on your Hornet C? If you did could you post your weapons and data files?

Cheers

Snapper 21

Hi FastCargo

Did you ever put FLIR pods on your Hornet C? If you did could you post your weapons and data files?

Cheers

Snapper 21

the F-18A already have it...

// Weapon Stations ---------------------------------------------------------

[LeftSparrowStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=14

StationGroupID=4

StationType=SEMI_RECESSED

AttachmentPosition=-1.3,-2.418,-0.95

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-0.5,0.0

MissileRollAngle=45.0

EjectVelocity=0.0,0.0,-2.0

LoadLimit=500

DiameterLimit=0.4

AllowedWeaponClass=SAHM,EP,AHM,LP

AttachmentType=NATO,USN,ISRAEL

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

[RightSparrowStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=15

StationGroupID=5

StationType=SEMI_RECESSED

AttachmentPosition=1.3,-2.418,-0.95

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-0.5,0.0

MissileRollAngle=45.0

EjectVelocity=0.0,0.0,-2.0

LoadLimit=500

DiameterLimit=0.4

AllowedWeaponClass=SAHM,EP,AHM,DLP <-BTW, what is it? DLP, i've never seen it before :blink:

AttachmentType=NATO,USN

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

Edited by Silverbolt

the F-18A already have it...

DLP is a data link pod.

DLP is a data link pod.

does it real works in game?

i've never saw or used that...

if it works in game how can i use?

does it real works in game?

i've never saw or used that...

if it works in game how can i use?

Don't think it is, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Silverbolt was under the impression they went on special pylons.

Cheers

Snapper 21

Externally, the main difference are in the number of lumps/bumps that are on the vertical tail. The A-model only had two, while the C had three.

A-model tail:

sheb0520a.jpg

C-model tail:

sheb0516a.jpg

The bumps on the back of the spine were added to all Legacy Hornets:

23.jpg

Jeff

My old book on the Hornet asserts that the easiest way to tell an A from a C aside from the new bumps are the vortex generators on the LEX (curiously present on the Mirage Factory A model) and some strengthening brackets on the tail:

f18-fin-fix.jpg

My old book on the Hornet asserts that the easiest way to tell an A from a C aside from the new bumps are the vortex generators on the LEX (curiously present on the Mirage Factory A model) and some strengthening brackets on the tail:

IIRC those vortex generators were retrofitted on the A models.

IIRC those vortex generators were retrofitted on the A models.

Yes.