Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

IAF Jaguars ‘sink’ USS Nimitz

What exactly, in estimated damage, does it take to "sink" an aircraft carrier in an exercise?

Aircraft carriers USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) and USS Nimitz (CVN 68) are taking part in the exercise with Indian Navy aircraft carrier INS Viraat (R 22).

In addition to the three aircraft carriers, other ships taking part in the exercise are: Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyers JS Yuudachi (DD 103) and JS Oonami (DD 111), Republic of Singapore Navy frigate RSS Formidable (68), Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Adelaide (FFG 01), Indian Navy destroyers INS Ranvijay (D 55) and INS Ranjit (D 53), Indian Navy frigate INS Brahmaputra (F 31), guided-missile destroyers USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG 54) and USS Higgins (DDG 76), and attack submarine USS Chicago (SSN 721)

web_070907-N-8591H-122.jpg

An F/A-18F Super Hornet assigned to the Diamondbacks of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 102 makes a final pass before landing aboard USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63)

web_070905-N-8591H-310.jpg

Aviation Warfare Systems Operator 3rd Class Christopher Bast, from Temecula, Calif., watches as ships from India, Australia, Japan, Singapore, and the United States join for a group photograph in the Bay of Bengal during Exercise Malabar.

web_070905-N-9076B-231.jpg

Republic of Singapore Navy frigate RSS Formidable (68) steams alongside the Indian Navy frigate INS Brahmaputra (F 31) in the Bay of Bengal.

*ALL Photos from Navy News!*

Edited by {FL}Hausser

I don´t care what they say, but those colors belong to THE cat not to a bug on steroids! :biggrin:

Best regards

Prowler

I don´t care what they say, but those colors belong to THE cat not to a bug on steroids! :biggrin:

Best regards

Prowler

Agreed! Although the VFA-103 and VF-# Bounty Hunters CAGs do look good on the Super Bug.

I gotta find ount how many kills the Chicago got! I hope it did better than in Red Storm Rising!

What exactly does it take to "sink" an aircraft carrier in an exercise?

All I know is it must be in water deeper then the height of the ship.

That's a sharpe looking little firgate...wonder what the RCS modifier is??

In the shot with the carriers, I assume the Viraat's in the middle? Damn, but she looks small compared to the KH and Nimitz!

What class is she? Some old RN one, isn't it??

Wrench

kevin stein

In the shot with the carriers, I assume the Viraat's in the middle? Damn, but she looks small compared to the KH and Nimitz!

What class is she? Some old RN one, isn't it??

Wrench

kevin stein

INS Viraat(R22) is the former RN carrier HMS Hermes(R12),a Centaur Class aircraft carrier. She was sold to the Indian Navy in 1987 and was meant to replace/compliment the ageing INS Vikrant, which again was a former Royal Navy Majestic class aircraft carrier. The Viraat is due for retiremnt in 2015 and may be replaced by the Indigenous Aircraft carrier called Air Defence Ship(to be named INS Vikrant)

Air Group:

Fleet Defense: Sea Harrier FRS.Mk.51/T.Mk.60 (Capacity for 30)

Airborne Early Warning: Ka-31 Helix-B

ASW/ASV: Sea King Mk.42B and Ka-28 Helix-A

Cdo. Assault: Sea King Mk.42C

Edited by ghostrider883

Sadly, on the last day of the exercise, the Navy lost a Sea Harrier FRS.51.

Lt Cdr A. Jain’s aircraft was “being recovered” — about to land — after a sortie with US aircraft during a drill on the last day of the war games. Lt Cdr Jain felt a loss of power in the aircraft even as he was poised for landing.

He managed to veer away from above the flight deck of the Viraat and ejected as the aircraft plunged into the sea. Jain was picked up by a Sea King helicopter within minutes.

The incident is an embarrassment for the Indian Navy because it happened in the presence of contingents from the navies of Japan, Australia, Singapore and the US.

Sea Harriers from Viraat's 300 'White Tigers' squadron took part in a wide range of airborne maneouvres such as air defence, air strikes, interceptions and maritime surveillance alongside the F/A-18 Super Hornets catapulting off the decks of supercarriers USS Nimitz and Kitty Hawk. The Super Hornets refuelled the Sea Harriers in-flight.

Well, calling it an embarrassment is a stretch unless the maintenance crew was negligent, which I doubt. Planes fail all the time, all over the world. Older planes tend to fail more often, yes, but even newer ones will.

More like bad luck. However, the pilot ejected safely, so that should be counted as a good day.

Well, calling it an embarrassment is a stretch unless the maintenance crew was negligent, which I doubt. Planes fail all the time, all over the world. Older planes tend to fail more often, yes, but even newer ones will.

More like bad luck. However, the pilot ejected safely, so that should be counted as a good day.

concur. One could ask what navy had NOT had an aircraft go in during an exercise. The answer is - only navies that don't operate aircraft!

:yes: