You got something against the Navy or Hendrix, Wrench?

"Excuse me, while I kiss the sky" == can't get a better line than that, expecially for a flight sim! :wink:

Here's from last night, after a couple more hours work (had to reskin the hump, made a new template for it, adjusted the upper light and changed it's color) New hex-modified lod for the hump in now F-110 only, painted to match.

f110-3.jpg

f110-4.jpg

Tweeked the skin to remove the canopy lines and 'rescue' red triange (F-4b templates are here at CA). Still can't get a decal on canopy...I even tried repainting the existing 3rdWire 'canopyglass'....after expanding in 128% -- the damn thing is ONLY 1 pixel in size. Once that's figgered out...

Want to do up an ADC decal for the tail fin, since the 25 built were only used in CONUS for air defense, remove the AG references, etc.

I have a whole 'What If...' fictional historical essay in my head that I'll write down later. I want to send everything to BadFrank first, since this was his idea/baby to start with. I just picked it up and ran away with it...which is uncool.

So if it gets released, it'll be under Frank's name, with a little help from me.

Wrench

kevin stein

ps: nothing against the navy!

Hey ehh any chance that this could get a '50s aluminum finish?

Hey ehh any chance that this could get a '50s aluminum finish?

ah, no.

check operational dates.... 1962, and they were (would have been???) painted ADC gray

Wrench

kevin stein

Well guys if you are going to augment a beatiful woman like the Phantom why not also make her faster and more deadly by giving her some of the modifications proposed by Boeing and IAI in the late 1980's that would have created the SUPER PHANTOM:

The aircraft were to be fitted with twin Pratt & Whitney (P&W) PW1120 turbofan engines.The PW1120 was a derivative of the P&W F100 used on the F-15 and F-16.

The PW1120 was shorter and lighter than the J79 but almost the same diameter, making installation in the Phantom relatively straightforward. The PW1120 offered 25% more dry thrust and 30% more afterburning thrust than the J79.

The new powerplants would give a marked improvement in Phantom performance, with sustained turn rate being increased from 9 to 10.5 degrees per second and initial climb rate being increased from 42,300 to 51,000 feet per minute.

The aircraft was also to have had a 1100-US gallon conformal fuel tank fitted onto its belly. This tank was to have had hard points on it for four bombs or two Sparrow air-to-air missiles. Such a tank could carry nearly twice the fuel of the standard centerline drop tank of the Phantom and offered only 29 percent of the drag.

The forward nose landing gear was to have folded inside a forward faring in the tank, and the rear fairing of the tank was to have carried an AN/ALE-40 chaff/flare dispenser.

Among the avionics options proposed were the fitting of a GEC heads-up display, a Honeywell 423 ring laser gyro inertial navigational system, and APG-65 radar and

"hands on throttle and stick (HOTAS)" controls.

Now that's a Phantom I would like to fly with only a single seat! :biggrin:

Edited by lazboy

Ahh...Phantom Schmantom !

When you've seen one you've seen em all...you boyz sure got way too much time on your hands. :blind:

Ahh...Phantom Schmantom !

When you've seen one you've seen em all...you boyz sure got way too much time on your hands. :blind:

Getting down and dirty again Flygirl, never insult my old lady as she has given me a lot of pleasure over the years and made many a boy into a man! :angry2:

Damn that sounds good. They should have ordered her instead of the superbug. But what would they designate it? F-4T?

Now, we're really leaning over into the 'what if'....

You're all describing the F-4X as used by the Ace Wrecking Crew in "The Wingman" series. It's a been done thing.

With a lighter, shorter engine, I forsee (places envlope on forehead) all kinds of weight/balance issues, to say nothing of lack of growth space (albeit with modern-ish miniturized compenents, all made in Japan!). And cf course, McD would have lost it's contract on the Eagle.

If you're wanting an updated, late 20th Century Rhino, I'd suggest downloading the F-4EJ-kai, JASDF, located somewhere here at CA. The skins alone are worth it.

What we (ok, me) are looking at here is something along the lines of a single-seat, all weather interceptor for Continential Defense (read: as the originial F-101A was built). I haven't posted any of the newest reskin, but she's carrying ADC badges on the tail, and a NORAD badge on splitter plate. NO a-g loads; just like her stablemates, the Deuce, Dart and Voodo.

Never deployed overseas, excepting maybe Iceland.

etc, etc, etc.

Wrench

kevin stein

That IS kinda funny, when you think about it.

I'm just weird that way....(and several others...) :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

It looks like the spawn of when a Tomcat and a Phantom had a drunk night together, lol

I have been toying with the idea of building this for a while...

Info here: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4_33.html

f-4swingwing.jpg

f4fvs.jpg

If you can built it I would damn well love to fly it, theres plenty of life left and interest in the old lady still and it would be great to see what she would have been capable of had she been developed further.

Edited by lazboy

:shok:

*aviationgasm*

OMG, that is AWESOME!!!!

A Phantom that doesn't suck... *ducks*

Would this be possible by scrapping the F-14 wings and putting them on a F-4 model?

BTW, i would love to see a F-4 single seat metal finish, with a white nose cone and a red lighting bolt on the tail.

A swing-wing Rhino??!!! Oh man, that is seriously off the hook cool!!!

That one would definately be ONLY A-A. Of course, the 'moving pylons' in the lod.....nah, leave it as Fleet Defense!!!

BadFrank: still awaiting the decal stuff for F-110A!!

Wrench

kevin stein

So how would we call it?Phantomcat? :biggrin:

That would fit perfect! :good::ok:

@ Wrench: Email send again!

Edited by Badfrank

Got it Frank! Thanks!!

Ok...

I discovered there's more than one way to skin a ... Rhino...

f110-6.jpg

Reminded myself of something I once read:

Q: where to you hide the evidence of a fire?

A: in another fire

So, hide the hump in plain sight by repainting it and the canopy decal. There's still some shine, but that can't be helped (it'll be explained away in the readme :rofl: )

Also, experimental loadout...

f110-5.jpg

Just for s**ts and grins, of course. After all it WAS designed to stop those hordes of commie bombers that were to swarm over the Pole into the American Heartland...

Wrench

kevin stein