Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

Operation Eagle Claw

hi people !

i have one question about the Operation Eagle Claw...does it has the participation of any combat jet?

one friend said me yes, some A-7s and F-14s, but dindt said what they do...

somewone can light me?

he said the A-7 of this operation use one special mark.. anywone have pictures of the A-7s and F-14s used?

thnaks :good:

hi people !

i have one question about the Operation Eagle Claw...does it has the participation of any combat jet?

one friend said me yes, some A-7s and F-14s, but dindt said what they do...

somewone can light me?

he said the A-7 of this operation use one special mark.. anywone have pictures of the A-7s and F-14s used?

thnaks :good:

The Nimitz was on station with its Carrier Air Wing to provide support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eagle_Claw

Here is a general look at it.

Thanks i read it =)

so, they didnt enter in action, just stay on alert?

and somewone have pictures about the C-130 they "improve" for this mission, that Hercules with RATO, but VTOL !

Discovery channel show it, but dint show photos..

The C-130 mod was for a second attempt, but the tests didn't go as plan, and the second attempt was canceled.

The plan was that if needed CVW-8 off the USS Nimitz and CVW-14 off the USS Coral Sea would make a hole in the Iranian defenses so that either the RH-53's could get back to Desert One or that the C-130's could get back to Oman. To aid in Visual ID of aircraft an orange and black stripping was added to the A-7's and F-4's of CVW-14's aircraft and some of CVW-8's aircraft. Here is an example on an A-7 of VA-27 off the USS Coral Sea:

va27a7iranpaintbh.jpg

This was done since the Iranians had F-4E's they look very similar to the F-4N's that were being flown by VF-21 and VF-154 off the USS Coral Sea. The A-7's at a distance look like some of the other tactical attack aircraft the Iranians had in thier fleet.

Here are some shots of the RH-53D's arriving to the Nimitz and then the morning that they took off for Desert One.

DN-SC-82-00725.JPG

DN-SC-82-00628.JPG

DN-ST-82-00631.JPG

The plan was that if needed CVW-8 off the USS Nimitz and CVW-14 off the USS Coral Sea would make a hole in the Iranian defenses so that either the RH-53's could get back to Desert One or that the C-130's could get back to Oman. To aid in Visual ID of aircraft an orange and black stripping was added to the A-7's and F-4's of CVW-14's aircraft and some of CVW-8's aircraft. Here is an example on an A-7 of VA-27 off the USS Coral Sea:

va27a7iranpaintbh.jpg

This was done since the Iranians had F-4E's they look very similar to the F-4N's that were being flown by VF-21 and VF-154 off the USS Coral Sea. The A-7's at a distance look like some of the other tactical attack aircraft the Iranians had in thier fleet.

Here are some shots of the RH-53D's arriving to the Nimitz and then the morning that they took off for Desert One.

DN-SC-82-00725.JPG

DN-SC-82-00628.JPG

DN-ST-82-00631.JPG

WOW! Where did you get these awesome pics from?

It makes me wonder though...Why didn't the Americans make use of the HH-53B/C/H's? They can be refuelled in mid-air. What made the RH-53D AMCM variant so special that it was used? How different are the AF Stallions compared to the Navy/MC variants?

Spec ops variants of air vehicles often have far more specialized and complex equipment on board than a standard CH variant would need.

If you're penetrating hostile airspace under cover of darkness and evading radar sites to insert/retrieve personnel it's a VERY different mission from just hauling troops and/or supplies around.

The reason that they used the RH-53 Sea Dragon instead of the HH-53 was that the HH-53 was about camouflage. The RH-53 looked externally very similar to the CH-53D and RH-53D variants that the Iranians had in use at the time. So the thought was that if the Helos were happened upon by an F-4 or F-5 of the IIRAF they might just ignore it as one of their own, letting the team escape to make their rescue.

The website that I used to find the pictures of the RH-53's was this one, www.dodmedia.osd.mil or the Defense Visual Information Center.

Thanks Jedi Master and Southernap!

I find this whole episode in history very interesting. That and I love the H-53. It's a beauty.

Guest 531_Ghost

Ummmmm hellooooo...

0008.jpg

0041.jpg

0043.jpg

0062.jpg

0064.jpg

0065.jpg

0106.jpg

0111.jpg

0112.jpg

0113.jpg

:yes: I was there...

Southernap, that A7 picture you have posted, was on the Coral Sea. The two F4 Squadrons on the Coral Sea, as you can see were VMFA-531 and 323. Another first for Marine/Navy Aviation 2 Marine F4 squadrons on the same ship, at the same time.

On the USS Coral Sea CV 43 CAG 14, a.k.a. USS Oral Sex VD 14 ;) Long story. I launched the Alert 5 from the CAT at 0 dark thirty. When General Quarters was sounded. Our aircraft were launched to support the mission / fly cover. We (our Aviators) chased off 2 Iranian F4s while we were on our way out and back to Gonzo Station. The work up to that point was tremendous. Non stop flight operations. Day in and day out. In November 1979 we set out from our home port, San Fransisco. Our morale was extremely high as we finally had a mission, kick the crap out of Iran and get our people back. We were ready, believe me, we were ready. You can't imagine the let down we experienced when we had to turn tail and run. We, 531 set records during that time, for a Phantom squadron that is. Aircraft, mission capable, readiness... Memories, 102 days at sea, watching our beer get vert repd to the Nimitz (those bastards)...

Edited by 531_Ghost
Had to go troubleshoot an AH1W before I could finish my post.

LOL 531 Ghost! Tell us more about the USS Oral Sex VD. Is it a strictly navy tradition or did the marines get involved :biggrin: *Puts helmet on and takes cover*

Anyways, must have been a very exciting time. Events like these reinforce the value of aircraft carriers! In Australia we got rid of our last flattop in the 80's. Stupid STUPID move. :angry2:

Good to know someone in CA was involved. Thanks for the pics and recollections!

Anyways, must have been a very exciting time. Events like these reinforce the value of aircraft carriers! In Australia we got rid of our last flattop in the 80's. Stupid STUPID move. :angry2:

"...but it's okay, we don't need carriers. We've got airbases to the North we could occupy as we need. I mean it's not like the enemy could use them against us if they got ashore first... could they?" :tongue:

^^That dude who figured you don't need carriers if you have AFBs close by should have been shot! The US and UK have shown for years now the versatility of carriers. I'd like to see how this Op would have been planned minus the carrier element. Good luck!

Guest 531_Ghost
LOL 531 Ghost! Tell us more about the USS Oral Sex VD. Is it a strictly navy tradition or did the Marines get involved :biggrin: *Puts helmet on and takes cover*

Good to know someone in CA was involved. Thanks for the pics and recollections!

Heh, it was a Marine (VMFA-531) thing only. We, Flight Line painted the left side turtleback of one of our Phantoms with USS ORAL SEX VD 14. It flew that way for a couple weeks before somebody noticed, or said something. :rofl:

VMFA-531 has quite the sweet CAG paint job. But how is it that you guys could paint the Phantoms while during Southern Watch the navy couldn't repaint Hornet? Have you seen how dirty they looked near the end of a tour?

Guest 531_Ghost

They were painted before the cruise. Our little modification was done on Gonzo Station, in the wee morning hours whilst some were :sleep: ing. Oh, as for getting dirty, we swept the aircraft every day, it's a pride thing :cool: As for washing, well, there's another story! OY VEH!

Heh, it was a Marine (VMFA-531) thing only. We, Flight Line painted the left side turtleback of one of our Phantoms with USS ORAL SEX VD 14. It flew that way for a couple weeks before somebody noticed, or said something. :rofl:

:rofl:

That's so bloody hilarious! Please tell us you have pics? LOL

"...but it's okay, we don't need carriers. We've got airbases to the North we could occupy as we need. I mean it's not like the enemy could use them against us if they got ashore first... could they?" :tongue:

^^That dude who figured you don't need carriers if you have AFBs close by should have been shot! The US and UK have shown for years now the versatility of carriers. I'd like to see how this Op would have been planned minus the carrier element. Good luck!

We maybe on the way back, with the go-ahead by the govt to build 2 LHDs. The Navy may also be getting a fourth AWD (DDG), which makes alot of sense too. The RAN has been itching to get back the flattop capability ever since it was lost all those years ago.

Guest 531_Ghost

Oh, there's a picture :wink:

Oh, there's a picture :wink:

Oh boy :biggrin:

Just to add fuel to the story :)

http://www.afa.org/magazine/jan1999/0199desertone.asp

A few lines from the story:

When Beckwith ruled out a parachute drop, helicopters became the best option for reaching Tehran, despite the doubts Beckwith and other Vietnam veterans had about their reliability. Navy RH-53D Sea Stallions, which were used as airborne minesweepers, were chosen because of their superior range and load-carrying capability and their ability to operate from an aircraft carrier.

Even the Navy Sea Stallions could not fly from the Indian Ocean to Tehran without refueling. After testing and rejecting alternatives, the task force opted to use Air Force EC-130 Hercules transports rigged with temporary 18,000-gallon fuel bladders to refuel the helicopters on their way to Tehran.

Because the RH-53s were Navy aircraft, the Pentagon assigned Navy pilots to fly them and added Marine copilots to provide experience with land assault missions.

That combination soon proved unworkable, as many of the Navy's pilots were unable or unwilling to master the unfamiliar and difficult tasks of long-range, low-level flying over land, at night, using primitive night vision goggles.

In December, most of the Navy pilots were replaced by Marines carefully selected for their experience in night and low-level flying. The mission ultimately had 16 pilots: 12 Marine, three Navy, and one Air Force.

Selected to lead the helicopter element was Marine Lt. Col. Edward Seiffert, a veteran H-53 pilot who had flown long-range search-and-rescue missions in Vietnam and had considerable experience flying with night vision goggles.

Beckwith described Seiffert as "a no-nonsense, humorless--some felt rigid--officer who wanted to get on with the job."

Delta and the helicopter crews never developed the coordination and trust that are essential to high-stress, complex combat missions. Possibly, this was caused by the disjointed nature of the task force and its training.

While the helicopter crews worked out of Yuma, Ariz., the members of Delta Force did most of their training in the woods of North Carolina. Other Army personnel were drilling in Europe. The Air Force crews that would take part in the mission trained in Florida or Guam, thousands of miles away in the Pacific.

The audacious operation was code-named "Eagle Claw." The target date was April 24-25.

Almost immediately, forces began to move to their jump-off points. By April 24, 44 aircraft were poised at six widely separated locations to perform or support the rescue mission. The RH-53s already were on Nimitz, where they had been stored with minimal care for months, but a frantic effort brought them up to what Seiffert and Navy officials insisted was top mechanical condition by launch day.

Beckwith and Seiffert had agreed that they would need a minimum of six flyable helicopters at Desert One for the mission to continue. Beckwith had asked for 10 helos on the carrier to cover for possible malfunctions, but the Navy claimed they could not store more than eight on the hangar deck.

Sometimes it takes a failure to learn a great lesson. I get to see the lessons everyday here at Hurlburt Field, FL home of Air Force Special Ops and I get to see the memorial to Desert One and the men of the operation every morning.

Cheers

Big Red

^^ Well hopefully atleast some good lessons were learned.

Just recently read a book called "The Raid" by Benjamin Schemmer, about the Son Tay Rescue Mission.

...Very well executed. Too bad there were no POW's at Son Tay.

In Without Remorse, it's John Kelly nee Clark that is the guy who goes in and sees the POWs getting moved but is unable to inform them in time to halt the raid.

In Without Remorse, it's John Kelly nee Clark that is the guy who goes in and sees the POWs getting moved but is unable to inform them in time to halt the raid.

I love that book. I really hope the movie version gets off the ground soon.

I love that book. I really hope the movie version gets off the ground soon.

Something tells me that any film based on "Without Remorse" will be be a disappointment, because they would never stick to the story of the book.