Sign in to follow this  
jono

A.I. strike missions. HELP a poor newbie!

Any advice, opinions, info would greatly be appreciated. Is it just me who finds the Air to Air A.I. decent but a little frustrated with the behaviour of the A.I. pilots in strike missions?

Is the problem that you can't find how to give them the command, or that they generally suck at hitting a target? Dumb bombs, dropped by dumber 'Pilots'... What are your expectations for them? :wink:

Edited by Platinum Rogue

Is the problem that you can't find how to give them the command, or that they generally suck at hitting a target? Dumb bombs, dropped by dumber 'Pilots'... What are your expectations for them? :wink:

I was mostly wondering how you can give your flight or squadron the command to attack the primary target specifically and not other targets? it works great for giving your wingman the command to attack primary but I'm not sure how to get the flight/squadron to lay steel on primary. thanks for responding by the way

I was mostly wondering how you can give your flight or squadron the command to attack the primary target specifically and not other targets? it works great for giving your wingman the command to attack primary but I'm not sure how to get the flight/squadron to lay steel on primary. thanks for responding by the way

Unfortunately, you can only direct your wingman(#2) to your target.

Edited by tank03

That will be " Tab 1-1".

click the Tab for the dialog box, then click 1 and then again 1 while you got your primery target marked.

That will send your No 2 attacking your PT hopefully.

Edited by MannieB.

yes unfortunately :sorry: hope this will change in the next patch series/game.

If you are flying 8 aircraft or more you can command the Squadron to attack either tab-6-1-air or tab-6-2-ground. This doesn't mean they will attack what you want- Sometimes makes you wonder about artificial intelligence. The only other thing that may help is to make your wingman 1-2 the best from the flight roster when you're first setting up your mission. Even then the knucklehead will say,"roger, got your target ", and never fire or drop a piece of ordnance. Best bet is to have your flight take out as much ground targets as possible and hit the primary yourself-if you want results. :good:

be advised that the effectiveness of this has fluctuated greatly over the series of patches...I thought that patch 2 wingmen AI were actually useful as before that I just took off, then ordered them all to RTB to prevent the penalty for loosing wingmen since they only just flew into flak anyway.

then it seems to me lately that they are back to not being helpful. I picked a nice fat target, circled around it on a 8 mile arc with the target highlighted and repeated ordered the little digital monkey to attack my target which of course he made all of the radio calls, made a run, then did nothing. seen this several times.

now I am back to launch, then TAB, flight RTB...alone and undanted

Any advice, opinions, info would greatly be appreciated. Is it just me who finds the Air to Air A.I. decent but a little frustrated with the behaviour of the A.I. pilots in strike missions?

Hi Jono, if you are defining your own missions then A.I pilots will behave as instructed, but you have to use the right combination of commands in the mission file defining their mission - otherwise they'll wander off course and fail to complete their mission.

For example, in WOV, if you define a Strike mission, then you must define the TargetArea to be one defined in the Terrain/VietnamSEA/VietnamSEA_Targets.ini file. Below is an extract of a Strike mission from Hue to Dong Hoi - the two nearest airfields on either combat side to one another. I've annotated it with comments to explain the different commands you need to define.

==============

// This is a comment

// I've only included the first part of the mission preamble which is important as it defines the mission briefing section of the game.

[MissionHeader]

AircraftType=F-4E

MissionMap=VietnamSEA

MissionType=STRIKE

StartDate=10/20/1969

StartTime=05:30

// ...missing weather and enemy activity section

[AircraftMission001]

AircraftType=F-105D

Name=Hammer

FormationType=Single

Texture=USAFCamo1

Squadron=333TFS

AircraftNumber=1

Size=1

//--------------------------------------------The type of mission determines the values expected in the TargetArea and ObjectiveID attributes.

//--------------------------------------------For STRIKE you must reference a target area defined in the _Targets.ini file.

//--------------------------------------------For CAS you must reference a GroundMission defined within the .msn mission file.

MissionType=STRIKE

//--------------------------------------------Where are you targetting? Make sure it's spelled exactly, otherwise use the TargetArea numeric value.

TargetArea=Dong Hoi Airfield

//--------------------------------------------What target exactly are you going to hit? It's name will appear in the briefing text if a Strike mission.

//--------------------------------------------Target 45 is the EWR at Dong Hoi Airfield

ObjectiveID=45

StartOnGround=TRUE

//--------------------------------------------No delay in starting. Start immediately the mission loads.

StartTime=0

Position=599990,523275,0

Heading=180

Speed=0

AmmoPercent=100

FuelPercent=100

//--------------------------------------------What weapons are you carrying? Look in the _LOADOUT.ini file for details. E.g. F-105D_LOADOUT.INI

Loadout=Strike

TracerMixRatio=50

PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Nation=USAF

//

Waypoint[01].Command=TAKEOFF

Waypoint[01].Position=600000,523295,0

Waypoint[01].Size=50

Waypoint[01].Speed=90

//

Waypoint[02].Command=DEPARTURE

Waypoint[02].Position=599500,520000,1800

Waypoint[02].Size=50

Waypoint[02].Speed=150

//--------------------------------------------Waypoint after take off

Waypoint[03].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[03].Position=590000,510000,1510

Waypoint[03].Size=50

Waypoint[03].Speed=180

//--------------------------------------------Turn onto target heading

Waypoint[04].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[04].Position=550000,530000,2010

Waypoint[04].Size=50

Waypoint[04].Speed=180

//--------------------------------------------Initial point enroute to target

//--------------------------------------------IMPORTANT. This sets the AI into bombing mode and initiates a radio message "5 minutes to target"

Waypoint[05].Command=INITIAL_POINT

Waypoint[05].Position=538000,565000,2010

Waypoint[05].Size=50

Waypoint[05].Speed=180

//--------------------------------------------Objective Point - target location

//--------------------------------------------IMPORTANT. This is the location the A.I will drop the bombs on in Strike mode,

//--------------------------------------------or attack until no ordnance in CAS mode. Adjust the X/Y coords to make the A.I attack a different location.

Waypoint[06].Command=OBJECTIVE_POINT

//--------------------------------------------This determines the mission success, if the target defined in ObjectiveID was destroyed.

Waypoint[06].Objective=TRUE

Waypoint[06].Position=537593.33,587080.92,1000

Waypoint[06].Size=50

Waypoint[06].Speed=180

//--------------------------------------------Escape heading

Waypoint[07].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[07].Position=600000,600000,3635

Waypoint[07].Size=50

Waypoint[07].Speed=180

//--------------------------------------------Final approach from North

Waypoint[08].Command=APPROACH

Waypoint[08].Position=599985,550010,1800

Waypoint[08].Size=50

Waypoint[08].Speed=190

//--------------------------------------------Line up for finals

Waypoint[09].Command=LAND_LINEUP

Waypoint[09].Position=599985,530000,800

Waypoint[09].Size=50

Waypoint[09].Speed=160

//--------------------------------------------Touchdown. Welcome home!

Waypoint[10].Command=LAND_TOUCHDOWN

Waypoint[10].Position=599985,522780,0

Waypoint[10].Size=1

Waypoint[10].Speed=10

==============

If this is what you were looking for, then I hope this helps.

Regards, comrpnt.

On a bombing mission (single large target) I either load up my extra wingmen for A-A - or leave them at home. I used to load them up for iron hand and get them to attack general ground targets - but if you do this remove their gun ammo and dont give them rockets otherwise they will get shot down (80%)