Sign in to follow this  
NeverEnough

Mirage Factory Crusader

It'd nevertheless be fun to play with in a what-if kind of way.

It'd nevertheless be fun to play with in a what-if kind of way.

The F-86D/L have the feature and demonstrate the effectiveness of unguided rockets as A2A weapons (useless). :biggrin:

a retracteble rocket pack ?? do you have pics ?!

No, in fact over the course of years of studying many different F-8 sources, I have never seen a single picture of the rocket tray in the deployed position. I am sure that some pics exist, but they are certainly among the rarest military aviation artifacts.

Keep in mind also that the pack was discontinued from the F-8C onward, so not many planes were built with it. And it was never used by the Navy, even in training.

I have read that the smoke from the rockets caused flame outs, thats should be the reasson for the rocket tray being sealed.

I have read that the smoke from the rockets caused flame outs, thats should be the reasson for the rocket tray being sealed.

That is possible, but the fact that the Sidewinder was entering service about the same time as the F-8, sealed the rocket pack's fate, excuse the pun.

I have found a picture of the rocket drawer in open position, but I dont have a scanner, it's in the Squadron/ Signals F-8 Crusader in action page 9 top left corner

I have found a picture of the rocket drawer in open position, but I dont have a scanner, it's in the Squadron/ Signals F-8 Crusader in action page 9 top left corner

Excellent.

I have that very book too. Have to scan for C5 when I get back off leave. That is the only pic I have ever seen of it too. A rare artifact indeed.

In regards to the Sader rocket pack. I am in total agreement with C5 on the realism side of it. Being an F-8 purist an all.

I found this pic in the Squadron Signal Walk Around.

crusader_rocket.jpg

Hey this pic is even better than the other pic I found

Most excellent find.

Thanks for the pic, bwild. Nice to finally see that POS.

Nice to finally see that POS.

That's putting it mildly 007.....

whoa... retracting rocket pack? can we say "maintenance nightmare"?

looks like something out of that old TV show "Thunderbirds".

Thankfully someone had the presence of mind to invent the AIM-9...

That man was probably a moderate, and a great compromiser. :haha:

LOL, sorry, can't help it sometimes.

But yeah, the F-102 was another example of a fighter with a built-in unguided rocket capability that was quickly superseded.

That man was probably a moderate, and a great compromiser. :haha:

LOL, sorry, can't help it sometimes.

But yeah, the F-102 was another example of a fighter with a built-in unguided rocket capability that was quickly superseded.

In fact I took this picture yesterday. If you look in the end of the weps bay door, that is where the rockets were kept on the Deuce.

Thankfully someone had the presence of mind to invent the AIM-9...

True, and that statement would be well suited now. The first Sidewinders weren't much better than rockets. Man how I hate the AIM-9B in SF.

True, and that statement would be well suited now. The first Sidewinders weren't much better than rockets. Man how I hate the AIM-9B in SF.

Yeah me too, once I was really persistent to get the lock(had no choice - F-4B) and in the end I manouver-killed the AI MiG-21, I just couldn't get the lock :biggrin:

Still, I prefer the Sidewinder over the Falcon.

Still, I prefer the Sidewinder over the Falcon.

Ain't that the truth. The Falcon does work good against bombers though.

There's a very interesting book on the development of the Sidewinder (no stay with me here) called 'Sidewinder: Creative Missile Development at China Lake'. It was basically developed in the engineers spare time with surplus materials and samples from manufacturers, as they'd been told explicitly not to try and develop a heat seeking missile as it was too complicated. Also gives you a good insight into the capabilities of the different models, e.g. why the 9B is so useless!

Well worth a read if you can find a copy on Amazon

Ain't that the truth. The Falcon does work good against bombers though.

Some may think I am crazy but I like the falcon and it is good against bombers.