Sign in to follow this  

F-8 in Tainted Cigar Campaign?

Is there a flyable F-8 out there for d/l or is it going to be introduced with the TC campaign? It looked good in the screen shots. It's my favorite fighter and I'd love to fly it in SF. I looked around and can't seem to find it anywhere. BTW, if your a Chance-Vought A/C fan check this site out...

http://www.voughtaircraft.com/his_index.html

Schizo

It's still being made, basically waiting for the cockpit, but yes it will be a big part of Tainted Cigar.

the F-8 is currently being worked on and the aircraft you see in the TC screen shots is actually the A-7...both not available yet,hopefully soon.

Hey Dagger,

You might want to look again, Those are F-8s and not A-7s. :wink: I ought to know I was PC and an AD with VA-66 for 3 years. Look again at the screen shots and you'll see the differences.

1. There are no hardpoints on the wings for Mers/Ters.

2. Incidence line on top of fuselage at the leading edge for the wing to elevate on take of and landings.

3. A-7 had a 20mm gun with one bulge for the opening on the left side of the forward fuselage. These shots clearly show the gun bulges that the F-8 has.

4. Tailcone for the afterburner, A-7 did not have an AB.

5. Slimmer over all, A-7 was stubbier than the F-8.

Look at pics 10, 11, 14 and most notably 19 where the description says "Crusaders on patrol" in the TC screen shots.

Here are some pics with me and my A/C 301.

Schizo

sorry you're right.Dueces has been flying that A-7 alot so I guessed thats the screen shots he posted...guess I need to look at the pics. :D any ways both aircraft are still being worked on and are coming along nicely from what i hear.

Sorry Dagger,

If I came across as a smart*** I didn't mean to. I just reread my post and I overdid it a little. I just can't wait to fly both of em in SF. The A-7 has been a little neglected in the sim market over the years and I get a little oversensitive, the F-8 I guess too. SF may not be perfect but I'm glad its here.

Schizo

Oh yeah, Crusaders and Corsairs rule! Heh, heh.

You know, there were times when I worked on the A-7 that I did NOT like them at all. But strange how we tend to remember the good things, eh?

Anyway, I always wondered what it would be like to actually "drive" one, and this sim will be the closest I will get to it!

I only had a short time to work on Crusaders at Pax River. Quite an interesting aircraft, to be sure. I do recall one thing about them, and that was the ejection seat. Major pain in the butt to remove. Had two trunion bolts with very little clearance between them and the cockpit walls. It was impossible to keep from busting a knuckle when removing them. And the torque on them was a lot, so the task was not easy.

I had a supervisor that would literally throw tools when he learned that a Crusader seat was due for inspection.

Navychief

Excellent A-7E close-ups Schizo.

I'll make sure 301 is an available aircraft when we release the A-7.

Cheers

EDIT: I just found this interesting snippet of information on voughts webpage:

The A-7A flew its first combat mission in Vietnam on 4 December 1967, only two years and three months after first flight! By the time the war ended on 28 January 1973, the A-7A's had been joined by the A-7B, A-7C, A-7D and A-7E. Navy A-7's were flown by 20 different squadrons from 10 different aircraft carriers involving 52 combat deployments by the U. S. Navy. The Navy flew 49,200 combat sorties in A-7A's and A-7C's, accruing 208,795 combat flight hours for an average of 2.25 hours per sortie. A total of 186,000 tons of ordnance was delivered against the enemy, with only 54 A-7's lost to enemy fire. This equates to an overall loss rate of only 0.00059 per sortie, or one loss for every 1670 sorties

Impressive stuff :)

http://www.voughtaircraft.com/y61-72/html/prod_61.html

Here's the latest A-7 screenshot:

a7_va153.jpg

I'll get a VA-66 AC 301 shot tonight...

Here is VA-66 aircraft 301. This is still an A-7B. I've completed the INIs for the A-7E, and am working on the skin for it...

a7_va66.jpg

Wow :shock: :shock: It really looks good man... Cant wait to

ride this :cry::cry::cry:

And we are still waiting for THE patch too ( TK if you are around ;-) )

I thought the F-8 Was Wiped By a Harddisk Failure or somthing.. and was being re-done.

It was and Pedro has started over.

Thank You Armourdave, Column 5, NavyChief and MadJeff!!!!!

Armourdave: Glad to see you back... and I just want to say Thanks for all the work you put into the A-7 (and F-105)! The first screenshot (that I saw posted) was in VA-66's skin and I about had a stroke. It looks great! Thank You too for making 301 an available aircraft, that picture I posted may not have showed it (301 was just assigned to me when it was taken) but I took care of that plane like it was my first car. Can't wait to fly her!

Column 5: Thanks! It's Beautiful!!! Even got the VA-66 on the tailcone! When I was attached to the squadron all the A/C transitioned through several different paint schemes and the one that you skinned is my favorite. Even when they transitioned to the low vis they kept 301 with the hi vis for "ceremonial" purposes. It only lasted a few months though and eventually she was grey. I'll post a pic of 303 "catching the wire" that was taken with the hi vis scheme that the squadron used before we were "visibly roostered" .

NavyChief: Thanks for all the great info on Cecil Field and for taking the time to email me the info. BTW, I promise no more "I'm drunk at the e-club and can't find my way back to the barracks" stories .

MadJeff: This site is heaven on the internet... this place has given some of us the ability to remember the best times of our lives and meet others that have had the same experiences and interests.

Hey, I don't want to sound OVERLY enthusiastic, *** kissing, sentimental, nostalgic or whatever.

All I can say is that I left the Navy 20 years ago and this is the first time that the A-7 Corsair II has been given the attention (detail) it deserves in a sim environment or outof one! Anyone who questions the A-7's record just re-read Armourdave's previous post in this thread and check out the link he posted and the one that I posted in the original post.

I'm just happy because it hasn't been modeled (in detail) at all in 20 years except for Jane's USNF and Flight Deck 2 for FS. One was a joke and the other couldn't drop bombs .

Thanks and if I can contribute in any way let me know!

Schizo

Here are a few pics that may be of use...

I had almost forgot about those "adapters" for the Shrikes. Why did they have to use those? At any rate, they would probably be easy for AD to model, but getting them to display on the pylon properly (ie, only when Shrikes are loaded) might be a tough nut to crack...

The adapters are similar to LAU-118 launchers which are also used on AGM-88s HARMS as they contain data for their use. The launcher can be set up as a hidden object using the LaunchrailNode= area of the ini. I will go in further detail when I've completly tested it.

The adapters are similar to LAU-118 launchers which are also used on AGM-88s HARMS as they contain data for their use.  The launcher can be set up as a hidden object using the LaunchrailNode=  area of the ini.  I will go in further detail when I've completly tested it.

Thanks!

Once again thanks for the photos Schizo. Those details are certainly things we dont want to miss.

An A-7E is something i'd like to complete. I have already adapted the A-7B model to make an A-7D. I hope in the future I'll have the time to make authentic cockpits for the D and E.

I've not use the LaunchrailNode= and at the moment have no way of testing it. Sounds like it could be a solution though.

I'm hoping that Swede will agree to make a video for the A-7 like he did with the su-17.

Cheers

Hi AD,

Thanks, I'm ecstatic with the current models. I appreciate the time that you've put into this all ready and from what I've read so is eveyone else. I wish I had the background or expertise to help but I don't. I did look at prices for 3D Studio Max and I can't afford it. Last I checked it was $3,000 or $3500. I keep checking ebay but haven't been successful yet. CAD interests me a lot. What you've done is nothing short of remarkable and the models look superb!

Schizo

It's been so long that I often forget. The original A-7 model isn't mine. It was made by a Japanese guy named Bonzonie. He kindly sent me a copy and I began to rebuild some areas, texture-map it, animate it, build the hierachy and put together a damage model.

3dsmax, well let's just say I couldn't afford a copy either. I've yet to use CAD, only autoCAD.

Cheers