Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Real forrests for WoE Nato2 development pics

Stary -- I got the Terrain Editor to create x,y position text files, but they are not used. How do you get the TOD files? What are they? :dntknw:

I'd like to make a simple 2km x 2km square terrain tile *packed* full of pine trees except for one very thin diagonal strip 2.5km long, strip centered at tile center, cutting diagonal across the tile. The strip will be an airfield. I'd like to make a "wartime" airfield, where you are walled in by trees on both sides and at the runway ends.

I use the Terrain Editor to place trees okay, but they don't show up unless I put one of your Germany TOD files in there, and rename it to one of my tile names.

~thanks~ this is really neat stuff.

===================================================

One more fellas/fellattes. I shot a nucular tipped missile while climbing, and it went up to about 30km before self destruct (SF moon to above left of flash).

gallery_6973_124_2315.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Ayyyyei that's it! TE creates the TOD file in the terrain folder, under the operation of SAVE the terrain and not SAVE the texturelist.

This is very helpful from 2005 ~> http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...amp;#entry42908

Still no trees showing up. But if placing trees has anything at all to do with TE, there's a missing step somewhere. There always is.

Ayyyyei that's it! TE creates the TOD file in the terrain folder, under the operation of SAVE the terrain and not SAVE the texturelist.

This is very helpful from 2005 ~> http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...amp;#entry42908

Still no trees showing up. But if placing trees has anything at all to do with TE, there's a missing step somewhere. There always is.

Lexx, check if you defined the

SolidObjectTexture=

AlphaObjectTexture=

in _data.ini

without it solids will show up white, and alpha wont at all

PS.

Increased the DetailMeshSize= , but geting hole in the ground now... any fix for this, you seem to succeded setting it at 10

mmm, what was the default mesh size? I run a very radical FlightEngine file.

Here's my DATA...

[Texture024]

Filename=Field.BMP

HasWater=0

Color=0.638434,0.697640,0.630031

SolidObjectTexture=

AlphaObjectTexture=TER_FORRESTS1.TGA

...what is the Color=x,y,z for?

I'm looking for my error. Everything seems to be there ...TOD, TGA, BMP, x,y text file. Getting there slowly. :good:

Lexx, check if you defined the

SolidObjectTexture=

AlphaObjectTexture=

in _data.ini

without it solids will show up white, and alpha wont at all

PS.

Increased the DetailMeshSize= , but geting hole in the ground now... any fix for this, you seem to succeded setting it at 10

mmm, what was the default mesh size? I run a very radical FlightEngine file.

Here's my DATA...

[Texture024]

Filename=Field.BMP

HasWater=0

Color=0.638434,0.697640,0.630031

SolidObjectTexture=

AlphaObjectTexture=TER_FORRESTS1.TGA

...what is the Color=x,y,z for?

I'm looking for my error. Everything seems to be there ...TOD, TGA, BMP, x,y text file. Getting there slowly. :good:

I think color defines the pixel color when exporting tile layout to bmp file under TE.

Values are good old R,G,B, where 1.0=255 indexed

Working slowly on polish-czechoslovakia-ukrainian map, will test, but try yourself by setting to:

Color=1.0,0.0,0.0

should give red spots in TE output for given tile

(or I'm wrong, it's leftover from EAW terrain engine?)

thumbs.gif

I gotem working. I place a bunch around a narrow strip.

Thin and Tall. I used w=50 h=50. Gives about 40m height measured with external camera -- a bit too tall. This is what I need for Siberia. This takes the sim to a new level for me. Stary this is AwSim.

gallery_6973_124_5398.jpg

I gotem working. I place a bunch around a narrow strip.

Thin and Tall. I used w=50 h=50. Gives about 40m height measured with external camera -- a bit too tall. This is what I need for Siberia. This takes the sim to a new level for me. Stary this is AwSim.

I personally don't think 40m would be to tall.

Another nice shot

I test DistanceMeshRatio=8, default is 6 on high, 5 on medium, 4 on low -still getting blank terrain holes

BTW. Having fun with your "by movement cockpit design techniques" :smile: -great fun and possibilities

Edited by CA_Stary

I personally don't think 40m would be to tall.

40 meters is way above average tree height , there are only few trees that could possibly get that tall, if i am not mistaken

Edited by squid

40 meters is way above average tree height , there are only few trees that could possibly get that tall, if i am not mistaken

Thats no problem, I've seen many trees which were 35-40 meters high, they are tall but not seldom.

*Idea*

Stary, can you make a tga with 10 pine trees across the top of the tga/bmp files? The X pattern would have 10 trees.

This would greatly reduce the number of X's and save performance. I resized your tgas to 256x256 and 128x128 but saw no performance increase. So, maybe making Pine tga 1024x1024 would not hurt performance? Not sure. Also, such a large pattern would mean less tree objects to place.

EDIT -- don't make new tree designs. Just copy-paste existing tree shapes across larger size tga file...

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

*Idea*

Stary, can you make a tga with 10 pine trees across the top of the tga/bmp files? The X pattern would have 10 trees.

This would greatly reduce the number of X's and save performance. I resized your tgas to 256x256 and 128x128 but saw no performance increase. So, maybe making Pine tga 1024x1024 would not hurt performance? Not sure. Also, such a large pattern would mean less tree objects to place.

EDIT -- don't make new tree designs. Just copy-paste existing tree shapes across larger size tga file...

Ok, but the greater X's the more floating trees in slopes (as in your first pic). And your Baikał map is montainous.

Ok, but the greater X's the more floating trees in slopes (as in your first pic). And your Baikał map is montainous.

True, but I'm thinking most is flat, where larger tga's may help alot. Especially airbase tiles such as below...

Getting there. This is the effect I wanted. I have a whopping 444 X-trees in the single 2km x 2km airfield tile. I will only apply such high density to forest airfield tiles where the player might start and end mission. I plan on doing alot of GCI where the player has to wait until scramble, and alot of stuff can be seen in the distant sky while waiting (including possible bomb or missile against player airfield). These trees add alot to the basic atmosphere.

gallery_6973_124_12527.jpg

What I plan is moving away from airfield LOD's and using airfields painted on the terrain bmp files. I guss that placing trees and objects is alot easier if you can see the runway and stuff in the Terrain Editor. That, and most airfield LOD's are peacetime super-bases, kinda like Nellis. In WW2, they had "airbases" in Italy where only a pair of Fw-190s operated from. These were hard to locate.

wow, indeed 10-floor building tall CE trees ....

http://www.cvni.org/treenursery/tree_heigh...ee_heights.html

(raises his eyes above monitor, looks outside window)

6-store tree across the street

(goes to the other window at the second end of his flat)

8,9-store trees in the mountains

no problem with their height here

Ah, this is it!

Stary, I'm using your enlarged NINE PINE here. I use 200 for the airfield tile, and 50 for general forest tiles, and fewer for less dense forest tiles and transition tiles. The larger tga gives good forest for less number of objects.

Pasko's Yak-25 on primitive runway that is painted on the terrain tile. No airfield LOD. I eventually plan to create invisible collision objects that border the runway on all sides except for a taxiway, and match the collision box with tree height. This should make things very interesting.

gallery_6973_124_1582.jpg

gallery_6973_124_8425.jpg

About the MipMap thing...the trees looking odd. I think cutting out the tree trunks helps some. Reduce the Max Y value to cut out the trunks. That's what I did here.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Looks good! I guess no impact on framerates?

It's interesting idea -getting rid of runway lods -It forces you to perform near stall landings, cause planes bumps on the pure ground..? And much easier to turn and burn on hard landing, right?

Stary -- I got the Terrain Editor to create x,y position text files, but they are not used. How do you get the TOD files? What are they? :dntknw:

I'd like to make a simple 2km x 2km square terrain tile *packed* full of pine trees except for one very thin diagonal strip 2.5km long, strip centered at tile center, cutting diagonal across the tile. The strip will be an airfield. I'd like to make a "wartime" airfield, where you are walled in by trees on both sides and at the runway ends.

I use the Terrain Editor to place trees okay, but they don't show up unless I put one of your Germany TOD files in there, and rename it to one of my tile names.

~thanks~ this is really neat stuff.

===================================================

One more fellas/fellattes. I shot a nucular tipped missile while climbing, and it went up to about 30km before self destruct (SF moon to above left of flash).

gallery_6973_124_2315.jpg

Dammmmnnnn...............NICEEEEEEEEEEE........ going to use this a a background on my PC :clapping:

Wow, thanks VELTRO. I can do MUCH better, at higher res too. :yes:

Stary, I'm using flattened airfield terrain, just no LOD. I intend to make an invisible collision "wall," matching the treeline or runway edge. What's scary is approach and the treeline in front of the runway. This is no "Super Airbase." :biggrin:

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Hi folks,

i always get one problem: i place my objects / trees on the tiles, using terrain editor, save, fire the sim - all is fine.

when i return to the terrain editor to make some adjustements and call up the tile - every object & all trees have gone, so i have to start all over again.

is there a remedy to this ?

thx

sokol

Hi folks,

i always get one problem: i place my objects / trees on the tiles, using terrain editor, save, fire the sim - all is fine.

when i return to the terrain editor to make some adjustements and call up the tile - every object & all trees have gone, so i have to start all over again.

is there a remedy to this ?

thx

sokol

Sokol,

Use "Save texture list" in Texture List pull-down menu! before saving map -this should create .ini files matching names of terrain textures -this is the precious data that holds the solid and alpha objects coordinates for TerrainEditor to read from next time :yes:

Sokol, check in your TE folder for the new saved files. Copy them to the terrain folder.

You can customize the folders TE uses in the TE ini file.

TE can read or imports files, and then save or export new file, to and from more than one place.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Letting AI take off Pasko's Yak-25 for me, while I enjoy looking out the window. I've brightened the tree colours, to better match terrain tile color. Matching tree and average tile colour helps reduce the distraction of the sudden pop-up and, in my case, greatly reduces the flashing trees from high altitude I see when I need NearClipDistance less than 0.2 when using a small "stargetic" cockpit panel + external model that requires such a low value (above 0.2 and no flashing).

gallery_6973_124_19688.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Okay, I make my own AIRFIELDn.ini and make it blank...no text...no reference to any LODs.

Then, I setup the airfield data like takeoff positions and runway lights in the airfieldN data file, but I've not done it here yet as seen below. I've turned a bit to see the wingman, and he's just beyond the airfield tile (positions made for runway LOD). On the 50-50 transition tile, I've left a clear spot in the trees at both ends to represent clear cutting, but not grading and surfacing, to clear space for takeoffs and landings. I might cut Stary's trees down -- setup the Min/Max Y values to include only the bottom tree trunks. That would be pretty neat.

gallery_6973_124_7804.jpg

Wingman taking off ahead of me. The terrain is flattened in the TE, otherwise the AI would have a problem bouncing all over the place.

gallery_6973_124_4882.jpg

Does anyone else have this issue ?

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5114

------------------------------------------------------------------------

and heres another one , trees growing in the cockpit more disturbingly

gallery_406_136_64168.jpg

Edited by squid