Sign in to follow this  
Bongodriver

Who is actual aircrew?

I guess the thread is back on track.....

Retired NFO with about 1800 hours in the E-2 and about 600 hundred hours in the E-4B plus some more in various makes and models for training and proficiency. Almost got bagged by a NK Mig while running like $!$#^!! with "two rotating speed brakes" to get some distance; and had some other interesting moments flying in a single engine aircraft - but with two engines installed!!

Commercial with single and multi-engine plus instrument, and single and multi flight instructor.

Total time just short of 3,000.

With my combination of Navy and civilian time I can say that I've flown "both types of Skyhawk" :biggrin:

what plane was the most fun? TA-4J with the aggessors!! :yes:

most fun in a civilian aircraft -

single engine - Debonair (T-tailed Bonanza)

multi-engine - Beech Baron

last 5 years on active duty stuck in HQ command centers but still involved in some "tense" ops including shootdown of 2 migs and 18 SCUDS with space track, missile warning, ballistic missile defense, and some 'other specialties" which kept me busy. In Europe for the fall of the Berlin Wall and in Cheyenne Mountain during the fall of the Soviet Union.

Had a blast. Now stuck flying a desk (sheds tear) but working as a defense industry contractor/analyst supporting aerospace defense operations.

Edited by Typhoid

So Typhoid when you were almost bagged by the DPRK MiG what were you flying?

So Typhoid when you were almost bagged by the DPRK MiG what were you flying?

the "two rotating speed brakes" was intended to indicate the E-2

I like aircraft like the E-2, tomcats, hornets are all fast and ponty and cool etc...etc... but thats really not the be all and end all to aviation, I think my job is great, and all I do is push a shabby old islander around at low level doing surveillance and the search part for search and rescue.

I like aircraft like the E-2, tomcats, hornets are all fast and ponty and cool etc...etc... but thats really not the be all and end all to aviation, I think my job is great, and all I do is push a shabby old islander around at low level doing surveillance and the search part for search and rescue.

Well hey, that's an integral part. You should be proud! :good:

As for me, I once taped a makeshift wing to an inflatable sled and tried to glide on it.

No success.

Edited by Longestpants

Craig do you ever use the 'Watchdog' callsign, or am I thinking of someone else?

Although my day job is a Lynx Observer (TACCO, Navs, depending on how wrong your local air arm is) I just had an absolute blast today with a half hour ride in a Texan/Harvard doing some Aeros near the Hoover dam, I fear it may be habit forming!!

No the callsign we use is eithe COASTGUARD xx or RESCUE xx depending on our tasking, Our other aircraft use the callsign ATLANTIC, The WATCHDOG callsign is MAF (Fisheries protection)

The WATCHDOG callsign is MAF

d'oh of course it is! Although I've only ever seen them listed as a NOTAM rather than actually speaking to them.

Where do you operate from?

I am Based at Manston in Kent, the company RVL group is based in coventry, You may or may not know that Coastguard aviation is contracted to civillian companys, Bristows used to do rotary now it's CHC helicopters, and Air Atlantique were the fixed wing, I joined Air atlantique in 95, and last year there was a management buy out to form the now RVL group.

Didn't realise Bristows had lost the contract, they were quite helpful when we had to go downbird at of all places Portland. As we sat on dispersal looking at our poorly aircraft we said 'what a great place this would be for a naval air station'!

I'm an Instructor Boom operator on the KC-135R/T Stratotanker. I'm currently deployed to the OEF/OIF AOR flying missions.

Previously I was a Life Support technician and worked MC-130 Combat Talons, MH-53J/M Pavelows, MH-60G Pavehawks and the F-15C/D Eagle. Not a bad career so far.

Cheers,

Jeff

Be proud of your SAR work, it's under appreciated by almost everyone until they're cold, lost, in the dark and want to go home.

As for me, while I never formally went through the schools, I did my share of fun things in HH-1K's and HH-60H's. Ahh, hanging out the door leading Jackrabbits with an M60 :cool: , err, don't tell PETA about that part. Got to go on some Mine-EXs in P-3's a few times. To be twenty years younger and five times smarter.

Be proud of your SAR work, it's under appreciated by almost everyone until they're cold, lost, in the dark and want to go home.

absolutely right!! :good:

absolutely right!! :good:

absolutely, and I might add, I know because I ve been told, it is nice to have a YellowGoose humming around when fire is knocking at your door...