Sign in to follow this  
guitarclassic55

Anyone up for new menu screens?

Looks awesome :clapping:

But is it "single player" or "single mission"?

Good question... I'm guessing it's supposed to be single mission. Easy enough to fix. Maybe I can get a few volunteers to look the set over after I finish it, before I upload it to everyone just for this kind of proofing! Thanks.

Question... does FE offer widescreen support? If so, what resolution are the menu screens in? My install seems to default to 1024 x 768 in the menus, with no way to change it. Just wondering if my screens are going to work in all situations...

Have you guys seen kout's new alternate menu screens for FE? I just happened upon them, and man are they great! Very elegant and polished. I especially love the pilot record screen and the options screen. Extremely classy. I'll probably go ahead with mine since I'm enjoying it so much, but I think everyone should check out kout's amazing work.

Guitarclassic55

Have you guys seen kout's new alternate menu screens for FE? I just happened upon them, and man are they great! Very elegant and polished. I especially love the pilot record screen and the options screen. Extremely classy. I'll probably go ahead with mine since I'm enjoying it so much, but I think everyone should check out kout's amazing work.

Guitarclassic55

Thank you for your gracious words, GC. I think you should definitely finish the wonderful stuff you've been showing us, as it is very much in the spirit of the great classic flight sims. I very much look forward to the final versions!

BTW, the default resolution of the menu's can be changed by editing the following lines in MENUSYSTEM.INI:

[MenuSystem]

StartMenu=MainScreen

Width=1024 <--------

Height=768 <--------

ColorDepth=32

TextFilename=MenuText.str

TimeDateTextFilename=TimeDate.str

MenuDataFilename=

FadeTime=0.25

WaitMouseCursor=WaitAnimation

Thanks for the info, kout. Much appreciated. I have a few more questions and I think you know a whole lot more about the .ini files than I do, so I'll message you. Really neat the way you used the clipimage feature on the pilot record page... I wondered what that entry was there for. :good:

A new options page... the radio is from wwi. The watch is 1915, I believe. The movie camera is same era, 1916 or 17. The typewriter is also same era. A bit of nostalgia.

post-32845-1206729695_thumb.jpg

post-32845-1206729709_thumb.jpg

post-32845-1206729734_thumb.jpg

post-32845-1206729756_thumb.jpg

Great work on these... I say do a whole set and post. I would take a set of these anytime. :clapping:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm rethinking some of the first screens a bit now that I'm getting into the groove more. I'll post the changes as I have them. I'd like to make this comprehensive, including loading screens, etc. Also might add a historical aces page, I think that can be done. Thanks to kout for raising the bar! Hope to have a full set in a week or so.

Guest Bounder

very very nice

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm rethinking some of the first screens a bit now that I'm getting into the groove more. I'll post the changes as I have them. I'd like to make this comprehensive, including loading screens, etc. Also might add a historical aces page, I think that can be done. Thanks to kout for raising the bar! Hope to have a full set in a week or so.

Stwa knows how to add additional menu screens (using planningmap as a basis). You should PM him for details, I'm sure he'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

All of the screens posted so far look fantastic. Sounds like a great idea to update the whole set and then post as a mod.

Thanks for the hard work you are putting into this one, it will definitely be on my hard-drive once released!

Thanks to everyone for the continuing support. I think one week was wildly optimistic on my part... but I'll keep plugging along. Here's a couple of screens from a new campaign page. I tried to get most of the pilot badges in there, likely missed a few.

post-32845-1207185498_thumb.jpg

post-32845-1207185511_thumb.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not getting a bit too 'slick' and maybe losing something in the process... If you've got a minute, could you let me know which version of the campaign screen you prefer, the one below or the new one in the previous post? Sometimes I get involved in things so closely that I lose objectivity... then I happen to look back and wonder how I got from point A to point B. :blink: Does that make any sense? Thanks in advance.

post-32845-1207264627_thumb.jpg

Sorry about that - post 43 is my choice.

sinbad

Sorry about that - post 43 is my choice.

sinbad

No problem... thought you might be yanking my chain :rolleyes:

I'm going to try a third version which combines elements of the first two... before I decide. Thanks for your input. Here's a new debriefing screen.

post-32845-1207419212_thumb.jpg