Sign in to follow this  
guitarclassic55

Anyone up for new menu screens?

Gee, that sounds too easy! I'll have to check that out, would have made things easier, for sure.

I'm going to try starting a 'part 2' thread first and see if that works, just because I'd like to leave the comments and the samples in the same place. If not, I'll try the demo section. Thanks.

The excessive amount of files required for animation is why I never used it. I think FRAPS lets you save a stream of .bmp's which you can use as animation.

BTW, is the LoopingAnimation parameter still broken, i.e. if you set it to FALSE does the animation nevertheless loop? If it now works, that would allow some nice fade-in animations on menu items.

The excessive amount of files required for animation is why I never used it. I think FRAPS lets you save a stream of .bmp's which you can use as animation.

BTW, is the LoopingAnimation parameter still broken, i.e. if you set it to FALSE does the animation nevertheless loop? If it now works, that would allow some nice fade-in animations on menu items.

Hi kout,

You're quite right, way too many files. I'm using a small area to keep the file sizes down, at least. Would have been nice to do it the FRAPS way, but my somewhat clumsy one-by-one screen shot saves kind of gives it an old movie feel, since there are obviously frames missing even with me smoothing things over from capture to capture.

Unfortunately the LoopingAnimation parameter is still broken. That would open up a whole slew of nice possibilities.

Like most things in life, it seems the more I find out the less I know.

Edited by guitarclassic55

Ok, fine say it to a 8 year OLD! mister "blackhorn1x".

Attached is a WMV of the mainscreen showing about 3/4 of the animation.

Guitarclassic55

IMO that's great!

Great stuff - when ya posting?

I'd like to have 5 testers to run the screens first, preferably one with a low-end machine. I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked something, which is certainly a possibility. Also need to implement the new medals option on the pilot's record screen. Haven't touched loadout, map, or roster screens yet but I expect them to be fairly straightforward. If anyone would like to help, please message me. Thanks to all for your continued support.

I would help you but, alas, my machine is pretty high end. :smile: But, if you would like a high end user, I'm your man.

Hi Guitar!!!

I have a low end machine mate and would be priveleged to help test your excellent looking new Screens package (really looking forward to it, great work!!)Just give me a shout when its ready...

Best wishes...

Rab Watson

Sockboy

Fife

Scotland

Hi guys,

Thanks to those of you who have agreed to test these screens. I expect to be able to post a beta by next Wednesday. I'm still considering doing an add-on Historical Aces page but if so I'll offer it later. Right now I'm concentrating on the stock screens.

Cheers,

Guitarclassic55

Hi guys,

I've uploaded a BETA version of new menu screens for testing purposes. Let me make it clear that these are NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME. However, if you'd like to take a look at them and provide some feedback, they're in DOWNLOADS/THIRDWIRE SERIES/Hanger-Menu-Loadout. If someone would like to add a link, feel free. Not sure how to do that yet.

Please refer to the READ THIS FIRST text file before doing anything else. Be sure to back up your MENU folder. I think I actually forgot to explain INSTALLATION but I'm sure you guys probably know all that better than I do! If you're new like me to FE and are in doubt, let me know.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. Included HANGARSCREEN.INI by mistake, that page is a jumbled up mess but functional. Also does away with individual plane hangar screens, that will be changed back before public release. I've also gotten p01ppy's gracious permission to use his fantastic Morane hangarscreen as a basis for mine, so that will replace the current placeholder. This will also allow those of you who wish to use Alligator Devil's hangarscreens based on p01ppy's to do so; should mesh stylistically pretty well.

2. Roster and Mission Map screens need to be created.

3. Roster submenu on the Debriefing screen is not functional at the moment. Next on my to-do list.

4. Multiplayer screen is cheesy at the moment... just a quick attempt to make things mesh stylistically a little better.

5. Others I'm sure that I'm not remembering at the moment.

VIDEO --

I'm especially interested in getting feedback on how the main menu animation in the watch face runs on your system. I know on sockboy's lower-end system, the main menu takes a long time to load and doesn't seem to work properly. I'm thinking it's probably because of the 400+ animation files... If you notice a problem, you can disable the animation if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves a bit. Open the MAINSCREEN.INI file and place // in front of the "MenuItem010=MainScreenDogfightHotspot" (line 13). See if that makes a big difference or not.

Thanks to jarrko for the background picture on the mainscreen. Thanks to kout for his original alternate mainscreen, which gave me the idea and know-how for my mainscreen. Thanks to sockboy and Barkhorn for their testing.

Any other comments, questions, or suggestions are appreciated.

Jim Dickson [Guitarclassic55]

Hi guys,

I decided to go in a different direction for the hangar screens. p01ppy's hangar screens are fantastic and so are many others... so I decided to do the stock screens and leave the rest alone, so everyone can use the custom ones that came with the custom planes or replacements like those by Alligator Devil. Below is an idea of what the stock plane hangar screens will look like. Thanks for your patience.

Guitarclassic55

post-32845-1210338579_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! I was beginning to think I was beating a dead horse here...

Thanks for the feedback! I was beginning to think I was beating a dead horse here...

No, the horse is alive, so get back to work!

:wink:

guitarclassic55....Your screens are great! The forum here tends to be kind of quiet at times. Don't let that discourage you. I'm sure your screens are very much appreciated. :good:

guitarclassic55....Your screens are great! The forum here tends to be kind of quiet at times. Don't let that discourage you. I'm sure your screens are very much appreciated. :good:

artists... we tend to be a little moody. :dntknw: So I'll get back on that horse and get back to work!

Hiya, I've been following this thread fitfully, and I was wondering if you have a single downloadable that I can try I out? I'm relatively sound on PCs and downloading stuff for FE (thank you all you modders who've made the game more playable), so if it's a straight install/overlay, fire away.

Cheers,

Si

Hiya, I've been following this thread fitfully, and I was wondering if you have a single downloadable that I can try I out? I'm relatively sound on PCs and downloading stuff for FE (thank you all you modders who've made the game more playable), so if it's a straight install/overlay, fire away.

Cheers,

Si

Hi, thanks for your interest. I hope to have the whole kit-and-kaboodle uploaded relatively soon. Until then, if you'd like you can download the beta version which is incomplete... go to hangers/menus/loadout in the Thirdwire Series section. See my May 3rd post farther up this page for more info. May 3rd... wow this dragging on. Sorry for the delay, new job.

I never quite warmed up to the BETA version Single Mission screen, so here's a new one... happier with it, and it matches better.

Also the Fokker DVII hangar screen.

post-32845-1211312416_thumb.jpg

post-32845-1211312552_thumb.jpg

Hi guitarclassic55 I installed the beta version but will not run on my setup. Im running XP SP2, A 24inch monitor 1920x1200 resalution, 8800GT video card. The opening screen shows and the movie in the top right hand corner but unable to use the mouse to enter the game I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to leave the game. Tried changing the resalution settings to my settings of 1920x1200 in the MENUSYSTEM file the game then locks up and have to hard boot the PC.

I have the FE SPK and the latest update that is all installed into FE. has anyone else experianced this.

Many thanks for what looks like a cracking add-on.

Hi guitarclassic55 I installed the beta version but will not run on my setup. Im running XP SP2, A 24inch monitor 1920x1200 resalution, 8800GT video card. The opening screen shows and the movie in the top right hand corner but unable to use the mouse to enter the game I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to leave the game. Tried changing the resalution settings to my settings of 1920x1200 in the MENUSYSTEM file the game then locks up and have to hard boot the PC.

I have the FE SPK and the latest update that is all installed into FE. has anyone else experianced this.

Many thanks for what looks like a cracking add-on.

Hi don246,

Did you replace the original menu folder with the BETA one, or just add the files from the BETA one into the folder? If you replaced the menu folder then you lost a lot of necessary files. I know that sockboy had the same problem because he accidently REPLACED the menu instead of adding the files into it. And since I gave really really poor installation instructions, it's not surprising. :rolleyes: Hope this helps. BTW after sockboy restored his original menu folder then added my files, everything worked like a charm.

Hi don246,

Did you replace the original menu folder with the BETA one, or just add the files from the BETA one into the folder? If you replaced the menu folder then you lost a lot of necessary files. I know that sockboy had the same problem because he accidently REPLACED the menu instead of adding the files into it. And since I gave really really poor installation instructions, it's not surprising. :rolleyes: Hope this helps. BTW after sockboy restored his original menu folder then added my files, everything worked like a charm.

Yes works a treat man they are good you are a very cleaver guy. this is one big improvment to FE Thanks :good: