Sign in to follow this  
SidDogg

Carrier Ops in WoI

Ok, here's what I've got. I'm using a modified stock Lebanon War campaign. I checked over everything, switched back to CVN-75, etc. I still have the same problem UNLESS my wingman launches first. I have no idea why, but if I let him go ahead and then launch, my plane goes down the catapult and I'm in control no questions asked. I also noticed that Catapult 4 doesn't work for some reason and when I'm in a 4-ship, I can't launch: when I release breaks my plane disappears, so I'm limited to 2 or 3 ship formations. Will have to test the latter on the other CV's.

Hmm.. yes I still have the odd glitch. I'm using just one carrier in my test campaign. The problem with 'disappearing' (I go backwards with the cockpit artwork off by itself ) seems to be related to the type of carrier being used but I'm not certain of that, the CVN75 works O.K though, some other ones don't. The test campaign I'm using only puts two aircraft on the CATS. This is working O.K. except that occasionally the wingman does the 90 degree jig. It is certainly not working the same as say in WOV but I haven't got an answer to it all yet. Are you using a Force Feedback stick only I wondered if this had anything to do with the launch? I had mine turned off yesterday and it seemed to make a difference.

Ok this just doesn't make any frackin' sense. Carrier ops work fine for me, No glitches, no nothing. I just don't get it.

If I may interject here...

could it be something with the new AI? Try looking in the aircraftobject.ini or formations.ini... there might be some pesky code somewhere that doesn't let the AI wait long enough to get control before trying to go into formation or to the next waypoint.

Since I don't have WoI (at least not yet) can someone try enabling the HUD debug (in the HUD.ini) and take off first, then switch over to the wingman as he's taking off and see what the AI instructions are?

Ok this just doesn't make any frackin' sense. Carrier ops work fine for me, No glitches, no nothing. I just don't get it.

Hmm.. I downloaded my WOI from the 3W site. Did you get yours from there or did you buy a disc. I know sometimes the two are not the same in some types of sim? Seems like your version is different in some way to the ones Caesar and I are using. Just a thought.

P.S Any news of the progress on the checking of my Guide so we can get this up and running. I just need someone to look over my draft. I didn't want to send it out until someone agreed to take a look at it. Do you have time now? Any news at all on this. If everyone is busy that's O.K. but I'd just like to know what's going on please.

Edited by Brainless

I might just re-download and re-install the carrier and see if that does anything. I'm thinking I might not have the latest model.

EDIT: Well, that didn't do it; time for a Vanilla install.

Edited by Caesar

I might just re-download and re-install the carrier and see if that does anything. I'm thinking I might not have the latest model.

EDIT: Well, that didn't do it; time for a Vanilla install.

Well let me know if that works/makes any difference.

Hmm.. I downloaded my WOI from the 3W site. Did you get yours from there or did you buy a disc. I know sometimes the two are not the same in some types of sim? Seems like your version is different in some way to the ones Caesar and I are using. Just a thought.

P.S Any news of the progress on the checking of my Guide so we can get this up and running. I just need someone to look over my draft. I didn't want to send it out until someone agreed to take a look at it. Do you have time now? Any news at all on this. If everyone is busy that's O.K. but I'd just like to know what's going on please.

I can look at your guide this weekend. I got 2 -12 hour nightshifts.

I have the same version everyone else does. I paid my 30 clams and downloaded it from the 3W site too.

I can look at your guide this weekend. I got 2 -12 hour nightshifts.

Thanks mate I'll PM it you. Golly 12hr shifts eh..glad it's not me. :biggrin:

I have the same version everyone else does. I paid my 30 clams and downloaded it from the 3W site too.

I really can't understand this at all. You seem to have no trouble. I have tested some more flights in both the single missions I set up and the edited campaign I spoke about here. If I use the take off sequence described here and let the wingman take off first, which I guess is the right way to do it anyway, I have no problem but if I try to go first or set the throttle up before launch the problems start. What take off sequence are you using? It'll be interesting to see the results of Caesar's re-install to see if that cures it. If so I guess I'll have to do the same. Golly I hope not, I just put all the Wrench updates etc. on. I'll have to do it all again!

I use AP to take off, I take off first. No problems.

Ok, sorry for the late response. Vanilla install did nothing; I guess the best way to ensure takeoff is to either use autopilot or go second down the catstroke.

O.K. I've done an edit of 'Attrition War' By R. Lee "Banger" SullivanVersion 1.110 March 2008 using instructions from Gocad's readup in the KNOWLEDGE BASE (this is what you other clueless ones should be doing) on how to add carriers in a campaign. I applied this information together with the information you kindly supplied and lo and behold, hey presto I'm on the deck of CVN75 plus I don't blow up or crash on the deck.

Wait a second, the stuff I have posted there actually works..?! :shok:

j/k :tongue:

Edited by Gocad

Wait a second, the stuff I have posted there actually works..?! :shok:

j/k :tongue:

Yer mate it actually works fine. Now we just need to sort out the 'take off' with a wingman business and it'll all be fine. :biggrin:

Thanks for the easy to understand KB info. We need more like this easy to read/understand stuff so the 'clueless' ones like me can have a bash at editing! :good:

Ok, sorry for the late response. Vanilla install did nothing; I guess the best way to ensure takeoff is to either use autopilot or go second down the catstroke.

Thanks for doing the re-install. It's valuable to know even if it didn't do any good.

you know..... :blink:

it could be Vista..... :dntknw:

you know..... :blink:

it could be Vista..... :dntknw:

Well I'm still using Windows XP so I don't think it's that mate.

I use AP to take off, I take off first. No problems.

Dave could you try taking off with a wingman manually and see what happens. We can all compare notes then to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

I've got a feeling either something needs tweeaking in the models to suit the new format or a patch will be required.

Thanks mate.

Well I'm still using Windows XP so I don't think it's that mate.

well what i meant by that was, in Vista [which i have] the carrier itself either doesn't even appear....

...or it appears and you begin at the center of the ship's LOD [thus the explosion].....

well what i meant by that was, in Vista [which i have] the carrier itself either doesn't even appear....

...or it appears and you begin at the center of the ship's LOD [thus the explosion].....

I am running all this in Vista Sid.

Dave could you try taking off with a wingman manually and see what happens. We can all compare notes then to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Ok I took off manually. I stayed level for about 10 seconds after I took off then I was able to take control of it and get some altitude. So that was odd. Wingman took off fine. Then I did it in AP again. I took off just like you should. When the wingman took off he made like a almost 90 degree turn to the left after leaving the deck, got some altitude and joined on my wing. My recommendation is to use AP only for carrier ops.

Ok I took off manually. I stayed level for about 10 seconds after I took off then I was able to take control of it and get some altitude. So that was odd. Wingman took off fine. Then I did it in AP again. I took off just like you should. When the wingman took off he made like a almost 90 degree turn to the left after leaving the deck, got some altitude and joined on my wing. My recommendation is to use AP only for carrier ops.

Thanks mate. This is much the same result as the rest of us. Actually I think although this may in fact be a bug of sorts the take off sequence is nearer to the real thing than before. I've had a few more goes with it yesterday and providing you either let the wingman take off first or use the AP it works O.K. Even if the wingman does do a 90 degree 'jig' he comes back to you later. It's not really that much of a problem but that's only my view and I wait to see what others think. Thanks again for 'the test'.

Hi guys. I've been reading this with great interest and had some of the initial same problems. CVA-63 and her sister's finally materialized once I edited the availability line to common (vs. rare) in the data ini. Launch issues remain as above but depending on catapult ratings (cutting and pasting from different CVs) I can get very different results at launch. I'm a noob with all of this stuff so I'm not sure how to decipher catapult data. Thanks to all for this dicussion, I'm looking forward to WOI carrier missions.

Edited by Harry

Hi guys. I've been reading this with great interest and had some of the initial same problems. CVA-63 and her sister's finally materialized once I edited the availability line to common (vs. rare) in the data ini. Launch issues remain as above but depending on catapult ratings (cutting and pasting from different CVs) I can get very different results at launch. I'm a noob with all of this stuff so I'm not sure how to decipher catapult data. Thanks to all for this dicussion, I'm looking forward to WOI carrier missions.

Ah.. right. Thanks for that piece of info. What type of 'different results' are you getting. Can you post the edits and what effect they have?

YYAAAAAAAYY!!!!

I FINALLY FIXTED IT!!!!!!

[except my number 3 is always a missing man..... :blink: ]

In case you guys that have crashing problems in the middle of the ship.....

...you need to make sure your DATA.INI has the same strings and values as is commensurate to your Terrain's .CAT file :good:

jus helpiinnnn :biggrin:

Ah.. right. Thanks for that piece of info. What type of 'different results' are you getting. Can you post the edits and what effect they have?

I just cut and pasted the catapult data from the Forrestal (CV-59 data ini) because it had different values than CVA-63 . My launch and flight was finally normal but now my wingman would do a roll on and through the deck before launching and flying normally. Funny, but not. If it worked, I would have posted it for sure, but since it just changed one problem into another I didn't. Off to try Sids fix.

Edited by Harry

YYAAAAAAAYY!!!!

I FINALLY FIXTED IT!!!!!!

[except my number 3 is always a missing man..... :blink: ]

In case you guys that have crashing problems in the middle of the ship.....

...you need to make sure your DATA.INI has the same strings and values as is commensurate to your Terrain's .CAT file :good:

jus helpiinnnn :biggrin:

Hi. Since it appears to work, could you please post what strings and values ?

BTW: Is it possible to get the F4B to work in WOI ?