Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

how many of you were even born...

Well the GI Joe of the '60s was the real deal. Didn't need PCness back then. Amazingly, GI Joe sold very well throughout Vietnam but began to fade out in the early '70s.

Oh well. The original is still the best and with some excellent memories.

OMG!! I loved GI Joe! I had the first issue of "Special Missions", and the one and only GI Joe comic that showed Snake Eyes' real face without the mask. That was awesome.

Which was the comic that was "silent", where no one spoke? It was all about Snake Eyes and him battling the other one in Cobra, dressed in white, whose name escapes me now... At the end of the comic Snake Eyes' outfit is torn and you can see he has the same tattoo on his arm...

Which was the comic that was "silent", where no one spoke? It was all about Snake Eyes and him battling the other one in Cobra, dressed in white, whose name escapes me now... At the end of the comic Snake Eyes' outfit is torn and you can see he has the same tattoo on his arm...

I remember that issue, IIRC Stormshadow also had the same Tat.

Guest 531_Ghost
<-- That's a link to GI Joe PSAs :wink:

GEEK MODE ENGAGED:

Eh, yeah stormshadow and snake eyes had the same tatoo because they served in Nam together and after the war snake eyes went to stormshadows relatives dojo to learn to be a ninja...the tatoo means "stormshadow" supposedly in kanji...they were like blood brother ninja or whatever

the reason in the comic book that you never saw his face was because he was disfigured in a helicopter accident during the war, took a blast to the face as it were...think snake eyes saved scarlet (or somebody) from the fire, adding to the mystique...

stormshadow turned to Cobra in order to hunt down his grandfather/uncle/whatever's killer and was supposedly working his in, like a mole or good fellow, in order to learn the true identity of his family's killer

Cant remember who exactly fired the shot, think maybe it was major Bludd or Destro or maybe Zartan

GEEK MODE OFF

I had the original GI Joe in '64 or '65, and soon had an entire squad of them. I recall bugging the crap out of my parents every time we want to a department store, as I'd see all the neat uniform and accessory packs for the GI Joe series. The frogman and sea sled were among my favorites, as was the aforementioned Jeep with the recoilless rifle.

I even had the astronaut 'Joe with the Mercury space capsule. It came with a 45 RPM record that featured snippets from John Glen's orbital flight aboard Friendship 7, back in February 20, 1962.

Yeah, I guess that dates me...lol. I remember coming home from Kindergarten one November afternoon in '63, and wondering why the usual afternoon cartoons weren't on. My parents told me that President Kennedy had been assasinated....

I had a original G.I. Joe when i was really little, but i really got into the 80s toy line. I had so much of this stuff, really makes me wonder what happened to it all. The names escape me right now but i had the A-10 VTOL,a Couple of the Jeeps,the motorcycle with the mini-gun side car,The jetpack,The cobra mini-copter,HISS tank and just about all of the action figures up until about the time of the duke mail away offer when i quit collecting.

In Todays World, War toys are not PC, but i think that playing out battles makes a child think a little more than the foo foo jolly happy toys that kids today play with. Maybe it was just me, but i would plan out entire battles and play for hours. Now when my friends children have birthdays or holidays i always give em war toys. Its actually kinda cool to see that the plain old plastic army men will keep kids busy for hours.

The A10 VTOL was called the Rattler FYI

Falcon

Had the original Joes...three of them I think (two white guys with different colored fuzzy buzz cut hair and beards and a black guy with the fuzzy hair and beard). Also had the frogman with sea-sled, and a mobile command post truck with spotlight or radar antenna (interchangeable), and the 6 wheeled ATV.

After the 12" dudes I just couldn't get into the little guys or the silly COBRA cartoons. Don't hate me...I just didn't follow the "new" GI Joe stuff. It was too fantasy for me when the original Joes were warriors and weren't so unbelieveable. ;) Actually the little Joes came out about the time I was done playing with the big Joes so I was pretty much done with all of them by then...lol.

Well my old GI Joe had hair that was part of the molding of the head. I remember sometime in the late 60's early 70's when the "unconventional" GI Joes with the beards came out. I couldnt figure that one out.