Sign in to follow this  

To fly the other stock F-4 variants in WOI, you have to copy their plane folders from SF/WOV/WOE ( which hold the stock skins and a single "main" ini only) into WOI, then extract all their other files ( ini , lod and cockpit texture files) from the SF/WOV/WOI \Objects\Objectdata.cat archive ( using this tool - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=343 ) .

The aircraft files are all in the lower quarter of the cat archive.

Move the extracted files into their respective plane folder, you'll need to make a new "cockpit" folder where all the cockpit textures and the cockpit lod goes.

The plane lod files and all inis go into the planes main folder ( see attached snapshots which show file hierachy by example on the F-4J )

For testing, keep in mind that all other jet games except WOI are presently at the code level of v08.30.06 and the FMs are optimized for it, so flying with those old versions in WOI isnt representative of the new WOI code.

Thanks for the great information, Crusader. For now, though, since "playtime" is somewhat limited I'll just put a Mirage Factory F-4E in SFP1 or WOV and try some comparison flying qualities and performance tests. Maybe that will work...

Cheers,

Wagsled

Thanks for the great information, Crusader. For now, though, since "playtime" is somewhat limited I'll just put a Mirage Factory F-4E in SFP1 or WOV and try some comparison flying qualities and performance tests. Maybe that will work...

Cheers,

Wagsled

Woah many thanks for that analysis Wagsled! Its interesting that you did find some simularities with the real F-4 at least.

I suspect poor old TK is going to have to rework a lot of flight models for the next set of patches out soon to bring SFP1 etc up to WOI standard.

I will say that I don't set the G-Effect on Hard - I use "Easy" - because I could always pull more g than this simulator allows you to do without greying out. The g-effect is just set too low.

You can also change the blackout parameters by extracting "aircraftobject.ini" (goes in the objects folder)

and tweaking these:

[PilotGLimits]

BlackoutStartG=9

BlackoutAmount=0.035

RedoutStartG=-2.5

RedoutAmount=0.05

RestoreRate=0.05

Woah many thanks for that analysis Wagsled! Its interesting that you did find some simularities with the real F-4 at least.

I suspect poor old TK is going to have to rework a lot of flight models for the next set of patches out soon to bring SFP1 etc up to WOI standard.

I am looking forward to that day! :clapping:

You can also change the blackout parameters by extracting "aircraftobject.ini" (goes in the objects folder)

and tweaking these:

[PilotGLimits]

BlackoutStartG=9

BlackoutAmount=0.035

RedoutStartG=-2.5

RedoutAmount=0.05

RestoreRate=0.05

Thanks for this, CoolHand29...I'll give those settings a try, although I'll probably start at 7.5g. That's about where I used to start seeing enough reduction (tunneling) in peripheral vision to be really noticeable. Also, recovery is much faster than in the sim...I guess I can mess around with the RestoreRate to vary that.

I'm going to start another thread here with some thoughts/memories that came back to me as I was pushing an F-4B around trying to handle 10 MiG-21's with a wingman who, although he got one, went down early in the fight. Maybe some of the tactics will be of use to others trying to get the most out of the Phantom.

Thanks again and cheers,

Wagsled

Thanks for this, CoolHand29...I'll give those settings a try, although I'll probably start at 7.5g. That's about where I used to start seeing enough reduction (tunneling) in peripheral vision to be really noticeable. Also, recovery is much faster than in the sim...I guess I can mess around with the RestoreRate to vary that.

I'm going to start another thread here with some thoughts/memories that came back to me as I was pushing an F-4B around trying to handle 10 MiG-21's with a wingman who, although he got one, went down early in the fight. Maybe some of the tactics will be of use to others trying to get the most out of the Phantom.

Thanks again and cheers,

Wagsled

Mr. Wagsled I'm looking forward to any and all Thoughts/memories and tactics that will come from you and you can bet that I'll use said knowledge in my ongoing fight with migs.

I spend a lot of time flying the F-4 in this sim, I have no problems downing migs or anything else from that time period and I play mostly mid eighties combat scenarios. Never fight on the migs terms, The F-4 is really more of an interceptor than a fighterplane The F-4 has a ton of power use it to your advantage. Download the Fantastic F-4S-L and take on some mig 23's or 25's for a change of pace.

Then take the F-4S up against a few Mig -17s and keep it vertical- I still have a lot of room for improvement in the energy management catagory but if i get shot down it is usually a SAM not a Mig that gets me. Rule # 1 -keep your speed up!!! I am betting that you are getting low and slow against Mig-17's wich will almost never lead to anything but an ass full of 23mm.

I am also willing to bet a big part of your problem are the early versions of the Aim-9 and Aim-7 missiles of the 60's and early 70's

p.s if you want a real challenge try the stock WOE campeign that has you chasing Migs in an F-105.

Thanks for the advice Icarus999, I'm slowly but surely figuring out how to the fly the Phantom, shot down 2 MiGs last night! Energy is everything with this beast for sure! :good:

Thanks again and cheers,

Wagsled

Wagsled,

We really look forward to hearing these stories! With your permission, I'll also start posting links to these stories in the Air Combat School part of the forum.

Thanks a lot!

FastCargo

Thanks again and cheers,

Wagsled

That would be great Wagsled, thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice Icarus999, I'm slowly but surely figuring out how to the fly the Phantom, shot down 2 MiGs last night! Energy is everything with this beast for sure! :good:
isn't it great to see yourself becoming a better and smarter F-4 driver? I'm still waiting to face a mig wagon wheel. :good::biggrin:

isn't it great to see yourself becoming a better and smarter F-4 driver? I'm still waiting to face a mig wagon wheel. :good::biggrin:

:yes:

eh, does the sim model defensive wagon wheels? I smell a mod in the making...

:yes:

eh, does the sim model defensive wagon wheels? I smell a mod in the making...

I remember watching the two Navy F-4 aces on The Military Channel "Dogfights" Talk about facing a wagon wheel to help out their CAG. Man how cool would that be to recreate that mission. I also believe The Great Mr. Olds faced the same thing.

On a different note, could it be possible to make the migs in WOV use the wagon wheel among other tactics?

They do perform a wagon-wheel like manuever, and the AI wingmen will often circle in behind anyone who attacks their wing lead. The lead sometimes appears try to set you up for his wingman, by deciding to break from the circle, and then flying straight and level.

Unfortunately, this behavior appears to be random in nature. I've not found any .ini tweaks that might encourage it.

Wagsled,

We really look forward to hearing these stories! With your permission, I'll also start posting links to these stories in the Air Combat School part of the forum.

Thanks a lot!

FastCargo

No problem, FastCargo; you can use them as you see fit. I really don't want to start telling war stories though...just thought I might have some insight on air combat tactics that a few haven't tried yet.

Regards,

Wagsled

I really appreciate Wagsled's insights and tips, since I've managed to development literally hundreds of different ways to get killed. Please feel free to share any experiences which might serve to bring us out of the darkness of ignorance!