Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Citadel Hell

Damn, this is not gonna be a fun year.

The Citadel is by far the most challenging thing I've ever done. Not gonna have a lot of time to spend on the boards or with my sims.

keep your eye on the prize man, no matter what. Good Luck

Keep up the work...I respect you very much for choosing that school. It has a long, proud history, from what I know of it.

Remember, don't take anything personally!

Keep on truckin buddy, you'll get through!

W00t, we just had an SMI (Saturday Morning Inspection) and my room only got docked for being dusty. It was blitzed to perfection, but you can still find dust if you want to. Under handles, all kindsa places.

Still, pretty nice to know you only screwed up a little.

SDirickson,

Good job! You've understood the most important part - inspectors will ALWAYS find something unsatisfactory. Do your tasks as instructed and stay proud of your accomplishments!

Good luck!

I used to give my airmen a write up for future dust. :twisted:

I used to give my airmen a write up for future dust.  :twisted:

You'da made a good Marine, hehehe...

a HOO and a RAH! :wink:

W00t, we just had an SMI (Saturday Morning Inspection) and my room only got docked for being dusty. It was blitzed to perfection, but you can still find dust if you want to. Under handles, all kindsa places.

Hmmm... this is why I live off campus, and even if I didnt, they dont have inspections, except for stashes of booze...

At UCF they have cleaning ladies in the dorms :lol::lol::lol: Got dust... the help will take care of it. :wink:

Hang in there. It seems like a long year, but remember not to take anything personally and realize that you need to focus on academics the first year. I have seen alot of classmates start out slow academically. It really hurts them. Academics are the reason you are there.

Isnt 1st Battallion renovated? I was in Golf in old PG Barracks. We didnt have AC and had radiators that would run 24/7 even if it got hot. I remember it was in the 80s my knob year at Thanksgiving Furlough. Dust was always in our rooms. Keeping our rifles clean was a real challenge. I always got busted for water in my sink drain. We used to have to clean the radiator pipes near our ceiling.

Remember to lean on your classmates they will be a great help for all of your time there, but especially knob year. You will soon find out which ones you can rely on.

How does this compare to JROTC? I thought you might find it a challenge.

Write me if you have any questions. BRACE !! just kidding.

Craig Coker '91

SD, I just wanted to add to what ElCid said. You mentioned in your initial post that this was the most challenging thing youve ever done. I can imagine that you are thinking that this may be too hard or difficult, That you might want to quit. Well, you aint alone. Every young person who has ever went into the military or a school like your in, or some other very difficult place, has asked the same question. When I got out of high school, the toughest thing I had faced was Jimmy Deciancio, (a bully), and 1500lb cows in rodeos spraying bull snot all over Arizona. When I hit Marine boot camp, (actually it hit me), I thought I was gonna die. I had never been in a high pressure place before where the least mistake brought some guy screaming down on your back. Or some other clod screws up and the whole platoon winds up on its face in the mud on a cold nite. You had to be on time, your underwear had to be folded just right, your eyeballs had best not be eye-balling the area, and WIPE THAT GRIN OFF YOUR FACE NUMBNUTS BEFORE I CASTRATE YOU AND FEED YOUR GONADS TO MY DOG!

Yessiree, been there, done that. And thats the point Im gettin to pal. A lot of people have went the way your going. Your gonna do things today you never imagined yesterday. Your gonna get pushed farther, stressed more, ran farther, endure more, and climb higher than you ever have. And when you get there, you can stop for a minute and take a quiet satisfaction in the fact that you have become a part of something real special, something youve dreamed about since a kid. I know, I dreamed too. It was my destiny to go in the military. just like its yours pal. Ive read your posts. I recognize that this is something youve always wanted to do.

So do it little bro. Keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open, grit your teeth, and press on. Help the bro thats not quite as fast or strong, or smart. Think team, not me. Learn to think on your feet. Good leaders will recognize initiative, the bad ones will remain clueless, pass them by, there are more important things for you to do. And it doesnt hurt to ask the Good Lord for a little more courage or wisdom. Jesus knows the trials, pains, and terror of the soldier. 20 or 30 years from now youll look back and realize that these were the best years of your life. Your life is an open book SD. Make each chapter a good one.

I agree with PCPilot.

What worked for me, was keeping a low profile. Definitely keep your mouth shut, and follow orders to the letter. If you buck the system, you will NOT win, so don't even attempt it. Thousands have gone before you, and have experienced the exact frustrations you are going through.

Someone once said that "youth is wasted on the young". Oh, if only I could have had the maturity to realize certain things, I would have gone so much farther in life, and would have made different choices. The SMARTEST thing I ever did was to go into the Navy. The dumbest things I have done was to ever get married!!!!

Navychief

I'll add a little something here. 50% of all freshmen... actually I think its nearing 60%... will not return for a 2nd semester at any institution of higher learning. That is a fact. All college students have to deal with pressure (yours is just more up front, and perhaps designed), some kids miss mommy and daddy, others cannot handle not being supervised (party too much), and most just fail becuase they cant hack it on tests and papers. I dont care what anyone has told you, I know some may disagree with me when I say that an education is the most important thing you can achieve. Sure, some say its "service" but you cant be a dumb sh*t and last long there now can you? Just remember that you are there to get a degree and go on to the real military. And dont you let anybody knock you out of your path.

My old Psych teacher told me that the most important thing to remember when it comes to education is... "STICK", no matter what, and no matter how long. Get that damn degree, or you will never reach the goals that you set... unless being an enlisted lifer is a goal :wink:

Good Luck, and hit those books!

Cheers,

Mista Saffell

Just an additional note, remember it is what your classmates think about you that is the most important. Im not saying be the company clown, but if your classmates respect you and you try your hardest at everything you do, you will be fine. Dont ever rat on your classmates. Your classmates make knob year bearable. They also will help you out as you progress in the system. You will have these friends for the rest of your life, especially your roomates. You should already be getting a feeling of who you respect in your company. Over time you will become friends with a lot of them. Even if you transfer you will have a special bond with your classmates from cadre.