Sign in to follow this  
column5

Mirage Factory A-7E Corsair II

I was just at Cecil Field with Hrntfixr in May. Or whats left of it. It would break your heart Don.

I was just at Cecil Field with Hrntfixr in May. Or whats left of it. It would break your heart Don.

Yeah I have not been in Jacksonville in a long time, but I read about the closure and saw some pictures.

I grew up around two master jet bases--NAS Cecil Field and NAS Oceana, so yes it was very cool. At any given time when I was playing outside I could see F-4s, F-14s, A-7s, A-6s, A-4s and lots of other types overhead.

you should know very very closer a lot of cockpits xD

i grew up with Mirage III flying over my head smoking through the skies it was very cool(still with 2000s)

nothing beats our " rock glider" :rockon:

Edited by Silverbolt

i grew up with Mirage III flying over my head smoking through the skies it was very cool(still with 2000s)

nothing beats our "flying rock" :rockon:

Kick ass! I would love to see the Mirage III in flight!

Yeah I have not been in Jacksonville in a long time, but I read about the closure and saw some pictures.

Went to NAS Jax with Hrntfixr he showed me where he works, we went to St Augustine. Dude had a flocking blast. I got some cool pics of the air park and the flight line. Remind me to show them to you.

Went to NAS Jax with Hrntfixr he showed me where he works, we went to St Augustine. Dude had a flocking blast. I got some cool pics of the air park and the flight line. Remind me to show them to you.

Definitely would like to see those pix. Hey I talked to Crabby and he is up for organizing some sort of thing in Memphis. We can coordinate with FastCargo and schedule it sometime when he is going to be here.

Kick ass! I would love to see the Mirage III in flight!

i preffer to see the Tomcat!

hehe

the only time the big cat went in Brazil was one landing gear issue somewhere around the coast

:yes:

Definitely would like to see those pix. Hey I talked to Crabby and he is up for organizing some sort of thing in Memphis. We can coordinate with FastCargo and schedule it sometime when he is going to be here.

Yeah good idea before he leaves.

i preffer to see the Tomcat!

hehe

the only time the big cat went in Brazil was one landing gear issue somewhere around the coast

:yes:

There was a public road that ran about a quarter of a mile from the runway threshold at Oceana, so the planes would come right over the top of the family station wagon. It was awesome when a Tomcat happened to be landing when we were on the road.

There was a public road that ran about a quarter of a mile from the runway threshold at Oceana, so the planes would come right over the top of the family station wagon. It was awesome when a Tomcat happened to be landing when we were on the road.

:blink:

btw...

67547966_afac47b547.jpg?v=0

67548111_6c3ea6b05e.jpg?v=0

67546853_e74bdf517c.jpg?v=0

67546621_c3561952d8_o.jpg

xD i wish i was there.

Edited by Silverbolt

oups!

hey, column5.

when i go to c5 website and download the A-7, i attempt to install it....

but there is a problem with the cockpit.lod inside the file that creates an error that stops the installation....

..any way you could check it out? :blink:

hey, column5.

when i go to c5 website and download the A-7, i attempt to install it....

but there is a problem with the cockpit.lod inside the file that creates an error that stops the installation....

..any way you could check it out? :blink:

It sounds like a corrupt download. Could you grab a new copy and try again? I downloaded a copy to my work PC yesterday and it was OK. If you still have a problem I will PM you a link to the LOD.

nope...... didn't work. :dntknw:

I think I see the problem with the Tomcat in those pics from SB.

Left main tire pressure is a tad low.

Yes, it took all my 14 years of USAF flightline experience to come to that conclusion, but I am here to help!

:biggrin:

yep, wherever it is, that tire should be pretty low.

Is it true that the A-7 had almost no teething problems in the prototype stage? (unlike the tomcat...)

Edited by Rambler 1-1

The VAL program demanded that the new aircraft would be based on an existing design in order to reduce the development time, so it's not much a surprise that they experienced less problems than with the Tomcat, which was a completely new design.

nope...... didn't work. :dntknw:

OK, not sure what happened but when I re-downloaded this morning I had the same problem with the cockpit lod. Its fixed now!

I spent 2 weeks at Cecil in the summers of 85 and 86 with VFA-106 when they had FA-18A and TF/A-18As. They were training VFA-136 and VFA-137 for their initial formation. I've flown over the field a few times going to Jax Intl, could pick out the BOQ, the half circle of BEQ buildings both of which I stayed in, the rec area by the lake, VFA-106 and VA-174's hangers. What I saw almost made me cry. I have some fond memories of Cecil, including a fam flight in the last operational C-1 in the Navy. The Captain who was PIC of that plane gave me some lasting inspiration that eventually changed my life. I to this day wish I had acted agressively on his words 20 years sooner. They were "Don't ever give up on flying or let anyone tell you you can't, you're a natural."

From our pics C5, I see why you chose VA-82 and VA-66 :good:

Edited by drdoyo

I spent 2 weeks at Cecil in the summers of 85 and 86 with VFA-106 when they had FA-18A and TF/A-18As. They were training VFA-136 and VFA-137 for their initial formation. I've flown over the field a few times going to Jax Intl, could pick out the BOQ, the half circle of BEQ buildings both of which I stayed in, the rec area by the lake, VFA-106 and VA-174's hangers. What I saw almost made me cry. I have some fond memories of Cecil, including a fam flight in the last operational C-1 in the Navy. The Captain who was PIC of that plane gave me some lasting inspiration that eventually changed my life. I to this day wish I had acted agressively on his words 20 years sooner. They were "Don't ever give up on flying or let anyone tell you you can't, you're a natural."

From our pics C5, I see why you chose VA-82 and VA-66 :good:

Those half circle BEQ buildings are gone.....

I think I see the problem with the Tomcat in those pics from SB.

Left main tire pressure is a tad low.

Yes, it took all my 14 years of USAF flightline experience to come to that conclusion, but I am here to help!

:biggrin:

67546690_2333a91c0a.jpg?v=0

when tomcat went to brazil http://www.flickr.com/photos/88963578@N00/sets/1457839/

hehe

i'm not sure but what was out in the media was a problem in main gear

btw what is in the newspaper is :

"the plane hit the runaway 3 times"

but it also said it was from "USAF" :rofl:

Edited by Silverbolt

Crashed or not, I like that paint scheme.

16440 > 36440 :biggrin:

scnr

Edited by Gocad

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Those half circle BEQ buildings are gone.....

Yep, that's part of why I almost cried :tumbleweed:

There was something similar at NAS Glenview - a highway that ran right along the perimeter fence. It also happened to run right across the end of one of the runways. My family used to go there every year for the airshows until the base closed. But sometimes, we'd just swing by the the base on Sunday mornings and park along the highway and watch. A couple times we got to see a few jets coming or going. I was so bummed when they closed the base down.