Sign in to follow this  
HawgEngineMech

First Eagles?

For whatever reason I've been thinking lately about a WWI sim. I checked out a review of FE and it basically said what I've seen other reviews of "unpatched" sims like WOV & WOE. Both TW games I absolutely love so I'm confident FE would be no different. Especially knowing this site and all the patches, skins and aircraft I've downloaded for those two titles. Having said that I wanted to get some feed back from fellow combat simmers about FE. Is it worth buying, tweaking and patching? I have IL2 1946 so I'm very familiar with lead and three second bursts. So....is it worth it?

PropMech

absolutely.

Never played IL2 - but FE is a blast - I have the expansion pack and latest patch which improves things a lot over the initial out of box FE - for a start you can recover from spins - and some of the stupid AI behaviour was fixed

So different syle of dogfighting to what im used to - prepare for massive dogfights - prepare to die a lot - the AI is pretty good!

I would have to agree,It is great out of the box but if you add Peter01s flight models and a fewq of the newer planes it is simply awesome.I have to say it it well worth the money. :biggrin:

yep i got it yesterday...i upgraded everything with the ususal patches, addon planes,campaigns, missions, new terrain etc etc etc...and it looks and plays great...as it comes its pretty ugly terrain and daft cotton wool clouds but after all the trimming and grooming it looks very good.....

My ideal wish would of course be a ww1 conversion of the new and upcoming oleg maddoxs Battle of Britain storm of war engine lol....Ahhh...thats a nice thought!

Oleg's SOW:BOB is so long in development and has so long features list we may not see it until 2010. Not to mention system capable of running it in full detail.

Right now I have a blast with FE and Expansion (not modded) and it's fun yet challenging :good:

For whatever reason I've been thinking lately about a WWI sim. I checked out a review of FE and it basically said what I've seen other reviews of "unpatched" sims like WOV & WOE. Both TW games I absolutely love so I'm confident FE would be no different. Especially knowing this site and all the patches, skins and aircraft I've downloaded for those two titles. Having said that I wanted to get some feed back from fellow combat simmers about FE. Is it worth buying, tweaking and patching? I have IL2 1946 so I'm very familiar with lead and three second bursts. So....is it worth it?

PropMech

I liked FE at first but when I got the expansion pack I was surprised to discover that the Camel and Fokker Dr1 had become two of the most easy to fly aircraft in the game. The camel is immune to spins barely stalls at all. Not what I was after. Looks like TK just didn't bother trying to do set up the flight models properly for these aicraft. I am really disappointed.

PropMech

Is it worth buying? A difficult question that is at nearly 80% up to you:

I think each FE buyer had been playing before at Red baron, wings of glory or flying corps gold. This because they were very intrested in WW1 planes and battles. So is it your case?

Then ive seen you like TW type of games, in which you add what you want, and in whitch modder's work is sometimes as good or better than professionnals, while being free. Then i guess you will like FE, it's the same thing.

Plus at that time they were not thousands of planes, so i think we have nearly 90% of total planes of the ERA between here at combat ace, and at th A-team site. We have also tons of other good things like ground objects, soldiers on the ground ...

We have Peter01 that works much on planes handling at each new patch, what makes you have the same style of realistic (imo) handling of planes for all your modded or non modded aircraft. Just download the latest FMs. In other case modded airplanes would be unflyable at each new patch.

Finally, i would say that if you hate the way AI cheats in IL2, then you will love FE, as at maximum difficulty settings AI is very tough but WITHOUT cheating, (well at least its my opinion), what makes a big difference with IL2 AI which is stupid and OMGly excellent at the same time.

Flight model is generally easier than IL2, but IL2 is the most realistic flight model simulation of planes that i know.

EDIT: When you shoot at AI in FE they make unpredictable movements and change of path, even more since Peter01 added great rudder use on AI. So i think your 3 second bursts will be much more difficult to achieve.

Edited by nixarass

Is it worth buying? A difficult question that is at nearly 80% up to you:

I think each FE buyer had been playing before at Red baron, wings of glory or flying corps gold. This because they were very intrested in WW1 planes and battles. So is it your case?

Then ive seen you like TW type of games, in which you add what you want, and in whitch modder's work is sometimes as good or better than professionnals, while being free. Then i guess you will like FE, it's the same thing.

Plus at that time they were not thousands of planes, so i think we have nearly 90% of total planes of the ERA between here at combat ace, and at th A-team site. We have also tons of other good things like ground objects, soldiers on the ground ...

We have Peter01 that works much on planes handling at each new patch, what makes you have the same style of realistic (imo) handling of planes for all your modded or non modded aircraft. Just download the latest FMs. In other case modded airplanes would be unflyable at each new patch.

Finally, i would say that if you hate the way AI cheats in IL2, then you will love FE, as at maximum difficulty settings AI is very tough but WITHOUT cheating, (well at least its my opinion), what makes a big difference with IL2 AI which is stupid and OMGly excellent at the same time.

Flight model is generally easier than IL2, but IL2 is the most realistic flight model simulation of planes that i know.

EDIT: When you shoot at AI in FE they make unpredictable movements and change of path, even more since Peter01 added great rudder use on AI. So i think your 3 second bursts will be much more difficult to achieve.

I have to agree that IL2 is the best combat flight sim I have ever played, and certainly the most difficult and realistic (so to speak).

I'd add that FE is a much more playable game now than when it came out, and the extras added by dedicated enthusiasts are an absolute must. I sometime wonder if that many people would have bothered if they'd relied purely on Third Wire's offerings. I have a particular weakness for the early Martinsyde scout, so there you are.

The campaign play - whilst becoming more interesting as the number of addon campaigns increases and as TW get their act together - is still, frankly, not what it should be, given the sophistication of the sim otherwise.

If I came to buy FE again, I'd be looking in the bargain bin if I didn't know about the vast amount of work put in by third parties around the globe. Knowing that, it's a must buy.

PS and score yourself a copy of Red Baron 3D to see what campaigns should be aiming for.

PS and score yourself a copy of Red Baron 3D to see what campaigns should be aiming for.

More than reasonable advice since it's free :biggrin: I think I should make a stickie with links to it...

I bought First Eagles about 4 months ago and have been too busy to buy a joystick to play it! I finally got a Saitek HOTAS and think this game is a blast. It's just what I want in a sim - good graphics, good controls, adjustable gameplay, very immersive, lots of planes to fly. No weird bulls**t like bizaare controls schemes, the enemy planes that can hover and fly backwards (that's how it seems in some sims) or nonsense like that. It's a very good, vanilla, common sense, playable WW1 sim.

I'm going to check out some of the other 'Third Wire' sims.....