Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

Microsoft .NET framework

Well, I'm always trying to free up a bit of room on my comp (it makes SF run smoother), and I've deleted all the programs we don't need/use. However, there is 456.14 MB worth of "Microsoft .NET Framework" that didn't come stock with this comp, my mom installed it because microsoft told her to. It's the Version 2.0 service pack, version 3.0 service pack and version 3.5. I'm wondering If I can delete all those and just leave version 1.1 and the verion 1.1 hotfix, both of which were stock. What exactly does Microsoft .NET Framework do, is it good that we upgraded, can I get rid of it and what will happen if I do?

Any and all input is appreciated.

I dont know much about it, but I need it/use it for Paint.Net (free photo-editing software)

Well, I'm always trying to free up a bit of room on my comp (it makes SF run smoother), and I've deleted all the programs we don't need/use. However, there is 456.14 MB worth of "Microsoft .NET Framework" that didn't come stock with this comp, my mom installed it because microsoft told her to. It's the Version 2.0 service pack, version 3.0 service pack and version 3.5. I'm wondering If I can delete all those and just leave version 1.1 and the verion 1.1 hotfix, both of which were stock. What exactly does Microsoft .NET Framework do, is it good that we upgraded, can I get rid of it and what will happen if I do?

Any and all input is appreciated.

You can delete only if you don't have any program that need it to run. If you have, they'll simply doesn't work anymore.

I guess you know wich programs you have installed on your machine, so a simply check in the requirements of these programs will show you if you the .NET is necessary or not.

Thanks for that, guys. I'm gonna go ahead with deleting all but version 1.1 and 1.1 hotfix, 'cause none of the programs I ever use require .NET stuff. And if things gets worse after I delete it, I'll just download it again.

just a little something... .NET 3.5 has very cool stuff (for programmers... and for the users that use the application built with the framework)

i had a short course about the subject, built a simple chat application in less than an hour :)

Sounds cool, but I'm just an old-fashioned C++ guy :biggrin:

Hell, most times I still have to use the "good" old VC6...

why do you that to yourself? have you seen VS2005\2008?

great environments to work with (not too much was added to 2008 actually)

it's very good to know C++... my brother is a master in C++

i'm the C# guy around the house.. :)

Edited by Nesher

just a little something... .NET 3.5 has very cool stuff (for programmers... and for the users that use the application built with the framework)

i had a short course about the subject, built a simple chat application in less than an hour :)

Yeah, but I'm not really interested in doing that kind of stuff... All I really use my comp for is Strike Fighters and MSN :biggrin:

why do you that to yourself? have you seen VS2005\2008?

great environments to work with (not too much was added to 2008 actually)

it's very good to know C++... my brother is a master in C++

i'm the C# guy around the house.. :)

When I'm lucky I can use VC8 (VS2005), haven't seen VS2008 yet...

...But it's not my choice - it's my job :yes: - and if our customer wants a VC6 lib, they get one!

I thought some of that net stuff was also linked into the security firewalls and such that protects you when you

go online to places like -

here!!

that really isn't a lot of stuff. Don't know why you would be real concerned with deleting it unless you were going to stay in an isolated mode away from the internet.

Edited by Typhoid

that really isn't a lot of stuff. Don't know why you would be real concerned with deleting it unless you were going to stay in an isolated mode away from the internet.

it's a lot of stuff for this computer, with it's 20GB hard drive. 450 MB gone is an extra 5-10 fps in the game, or another terrain and a couple more planes.

And my antivirus only needs 1.1 hotfix anyway.