Sign in to follow this  
column5

B-36 Development

This thread is for further development of the B-36 flight model.

I personally like to start a flight mdel by selecting the closest stock aircraft and using that for all of the base aerodynamics. It ensures that you get a good starting point, and from there you can make adjustments appropriate for the new aircraft. In the case of the B-36, the closest ThirdWire offering is the C-130.

I've taken the FM that came with the B-36D and copied in just the aerodynamic coefficients from the C-130. I then double-checked all of the basic weights, intertias, lengths, widths, thrust values etc. and made corrections where necessary.

The biggest problem I found was that a typeo was preventing the jet engines from operating:

Component[015]=LeftEngineNacelle3

Component[016]=RightEngineNacelle3

Component[018]=LeftJetNacelle

Component[019]=RightJetNacelle

Note that the component numbers are not contiguous. This means that the left and right nacelle components, to which the jet engines are attached, were not being used. I also changed the jet engines from incorrect J57s to correct J47s.

With that fix made, the plane is a lot more flyable and the AI handles it better. Note that the exhaust positions for these jet engines still needs to be fixed. You'll see a big black cloud coming from the side of the plane right now. ;)

Attached you will find updated data and cockpit INIs. They are far from being finished and are only good for testing. Any feedback is appreciated--together we can make it soar. :good:

B_36D.zip

Thanks C5. Will test it today.

May we include armament and such in this discussion?

May we include armament and such in this discussion?

Absolutely!

In order to turn this into a featherweight mod B-36 we have to remove all but the tail guns...

PS - I forgot to mention in the first post, the cockpit view angles were messed up so that by default you were looking out out of the left window. I fixed that as well.

Hmmm. Didn't we have the X-15-on-B-52 a while back? Was toying with Thunderstreaks as weapons just now.

Sorry, know I have been away for awhile...what B-36 ?!?!!?!?!? You guys made an Aluminum Overcast and I missed it? So what did the F-101 get released as well?

cheers

B-36 from A-Team dude. Only got released in the last couple of days.

I thought I noticed the reports from the turrets above and out by the outer parts of the main wing. Only problem is that I can't seem to get close enough to any fast movers again to see if it was just me or if the muzzles were displaced.

Refer back to this post for weapon info (It'll be a live post)

B-36A

36 removable racks of 15 different types were furnished with each a/c.

Bomb weights, in #'s. -> 500, 1000, 1600, 2000, 4000, 12000, 22000, 43000.

Lighter bombs of 100, 115, 125, 250, 325, and 350 pounds could be accommodated on the 500 pound stations.

Aux fuel tank-> 3,555 Gallon AvGas.

Limitation for B-36A-> Only one 43,000lb unit could be carried due to the 72,000lb limitation

B-36B

86,000lb bomb load limit (allowing carriage of 2x T-12 43,000lb bombs)

18 B's were equipped with guidance equipment for 2x VB-13 Tarzon 13,000lb guided bombs

General Bomb Bay Info

Starting with the D model, the snap action doors opened in approx 2 seconds.

Capable of carrying 67 types of conventional, incendiary, cluster, chemical, mines, and nuclear stores.

Only one type of munition could be carried per bomb bay (max 4 different types).

Bays 1 & 4 could carry a max of 38x 500lb, 19x 1,000lb, 8X 2,000lb, or 3x 4,000lb

Bays 2 & 3 were limited to 28x 500lb, 16x 1,000lb, 6x 2,000lb or 3x 4,000lb (this was due to the wing structure)

* up to 7 XGAM-71 Buck Duck decoys would of been carried between the 4 bomb bays

*there were aux fuel tanks, more info later

*there are diagrams for loadouts, will scan later

Gun Info

Selectable fire rate of 550-820 rpm, later fixed to 700rpm for the tail guns and 600rpm for all others.

Capacities (# of rounds): Nose->800, each other turret had 1,200.

Source: Magnesium Overcast by Dennis R. Jenkins (Really, I suggest you buy it! )

Sorry, know I have been away for awhile...what B-36 ?!?!!?!?!? You guys made an Aluminum Overcast and I missed it? So what did the F-101 get released as well?

cheers

B-36 is A-Team release--hence the reason for this thread: we are trying to fix it.

F-101 is still WIP but coming along really nice.

Don't worry, I've got the books! :)

I posted a bit of info over at the Wep Wiki a few years ago, here's the link:

http://bunyap2w1.com/SFP1_Wiki/index.php?t...acemaker_Series

I'll be posting more info here to help with the mods.

Can you go ahead and correct the weapons stations and loadouts and post them here? :clapping:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b36.html

Also Joe Baugher, our faithful online resource has some good info. He also lists his references for his research.

Always compare Baugher with other sources--he is not 100% accurate. For example the cruise speeds he lists for most aircraft are way too high. B-36 info looks pretty good though.

Always compare Baugher with other sources--he is not 100% accurate. For example the cruise speeds he lists for most aircraft are way too high. B-36 info looks pretty good though.

That is why I always like to check the references he lists. Its a good thing he does that. I think he might be getting 3 or 4 from his research and making an average...

Can you go ahead and correct the weapons stations and loadouts and post them here? clapping.gif

Just did :)

Just did :)

You are...the man.

Currently tweaking the D weps....

Currently tweaking the D weps....

Does your book have any info on the actual location of the fuel tanks? Also, the plane is equipped with chaff and flares, 60 of each. I would think that for a plane of this era, chaff would be the only countermeasure, but it would carry a lot more than 60. Anything on that in the book?

Here's a better cockpit fix:

Make sure to change "ShowFromCockpit=FALSE" to "ShowFromCockpit=TRUE" under the "Nose" section of the data.ini

The book talks about both. It carried A-LOT of chaff (well, at least the recce versions). I'll scan what I can, but FC has some stuff in the queue before -36 stuff.

The book talks about both. It carried A-LOT of chaff (well, at least the recce versions). I'll scan what I can, but FC has some stuff in the queue before -36 stuff.

I think I'll order a copy for the library, I've actually had that book on my wish list for a while.

Well bang goes my evening I shall be shortly settling down to rewatch my copy of Strategic Air Command with James Stewart in readiness for flying this glorious bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSpqFPSK_c

To wet everyones appettite here is a clip.

Lazboy

Well bang goes my evening I shall be shortly settling down to rewatch my copy of Strategic Air Command with James Stewart in readiness for flying this glorious bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSpqFPSK_c

To wet everyones appettite here is a clip.

Lazboy

I yearn for it on Blu-ray.

Saw it years ago. I'd love to find short videos of where the movie showed B-36 flying high near sunset, with giant golden cumulonimbus in the background, and B-36 pulling long thick contrails.

Initial results of stargetic cockpit lab tests are in...

B36-1.jpg

B36-2.jpg

B36-3.jpg