Sign in to follow this  

Well the extensive use of PGMs here in-theatre does offer dicey moments regardless, and so it's not a bad idea either, something I would be looking for. But not sure if it's something the game engine would support unless the crash was already placed on the map (as a "crashed" vehicle). Only problem is there would be quite a few placed, unless the tanks that routinely show up are swapped out specifically for infantry squads/technicals and it would only select them.

Well the extensive use of PGMs here in-theatre does offer dicey moments regardless, and so it's not a bad idea either, something I would be looking for. But not sure if it's something the game engine would support unless the crash was already placed on the map (as a "crashed" vehicle). Only problem is there would be quite a few placed, unless the tanks that routinely show up are swapped out specifically for infantry squads/technicals and it would only select them.

I'm not to familiar with the target area part of the engine, I was thinking one target area around Takur Ghar, aka Robert's Ridge (RIP Chap, see you on the other side) with a crashed 'hook or 'hawk placed as a piece of the terrain like a building and the US/Tali targets were just statically placed there with maybe some SA-7s and light AAA in the area to offer a challenge. The drawbacks would be that this situation would be on the map at all times, whether you were assigned a mission in that target area or not, and to get a mission assigned to those targets it would have to be a strike mission, and the enemy/friendly situation would be the same every time, so replay value would be low, unless you want to try to do it with several types of munitions/AC, but even then...

I guess it would probably be better to work it into a single mission somehow instead of working it into the terrain.

I am just thinking out loud, but if you made a target area with a downed Crashhawk (a S***hook would be more appropriate, but I'm pretty sure there is no model as of yet), and a static squad of US Infantry and put static Taliban troops ecircling it just out of small arms range of the US guys (so they wouldn't kill them before the CAS go there) 1. would they shoot at each other, and 2. Would it work with the game engine.

this idea of troops treated as ground objects in a target area had been suggested by gepard at the begniing of this thread. With patch sept08 troops (ground object) shooting at each other was not possible anymore.I brought this to TK and with patch oct08b i obsereved in falkland scenario ships shelling again stanley. So i assume that the amswer to your question is yes

Actually, the ground battle location would be dictated by ground units, nodes, and offensives in a campaign... not the movement.ini files.

Yes you are right, my bad; still, if a node(where battle is most likely to occur) is close enough to an artillery site, they shoudl shoot

I think i found the cause of the problem of the non existing groundbattle. Its the latest patch. I tested Afghanistan terrain with WOE. In my WOE without the September Patch i had a very nice fire exchange, with the September patch it was silence on the battlefield.

Sh...t.

Regarding the above: I haven't tried your beta afghan terrain yet, but I liked the idea you had about ground battles

In falkland addon, with compnt mission the detroyers ashore os stanley were shelling the airport after a certain date.

I did not have tgis happening with sept 08 patch.

Then I've setup a falkland install using the aforementioned add on and basing it to a sfp1 patched to oct08b ;I noticed Argentine destroyers surrounding stanley are sheeling the airport again, althoguh with much less precision.

Its a nice idea to have crashed helicopters on the map. I know, that Capun has such static helis on his page. I will ask him wheter i can include them into Afghanistan terrain.

I see 2 possibilities for such heli ground objects:

1. the downed heli is to destroy, so that no sensitive technologie is falling into wrong hands

2. a downed heli crew is to protect against attacking enemies.

No 1 i can include without problems into the terrain, the No.2, i think is more for scriped missions.

Did some messing around... Seems that the SA-7 should be used,so I fiddled with the targets.ini and managed to get them mostly in there. So far it works, and it's more effective to have the AAA still hanging around. Also Gepard, cloud height. I'm deployed roughlyin the area, so the ground hugging clouds do not exist as one may believe. Not sure if that's a TE glitch, but it's been hella cloudy but I would say put it near the tip of the most medium highest mountain or so. Whenever I can get some pics of a cloudy day I'll shoot them too you.

To chime in on Eric's reply, I saw some bad weather earlier this year. The clouds can and will stack up from 10,000-30,000ft. No kidding, a solid deck. Below that was blowing dirt and other nastyness. We had to refuel a pair of F/A-18Cs up at FL310. They were in min-burner the whole time.

Like Eric, I'm really excited about this terrain.

Jeff

Cloud height can be set in a terrain specific EnvrionmentalSystem.ini ... been experimenatating with this for the ANW rebuild. You can make them sit pretty much anywhere you want

Wrench

kevin stein

Yeah just I haven't gotten around to messing with it. I printed off Gepard's tutorial on making terrains because I want to edit the Range one, but there are some pieces that I need before I try and start possibly a new one.

Cloud height can be set in a terrain specific EnvrionmentalSystem.ini ... been experimenatating with this for the ANW rebuild. You can make them sit pretty much anywhere you want

Wrench

kevin stein

I may have to reverse or engineer something from your rebuild... I looked for something like that, and nothing so I'll try again. I managed to replace all the "SAMLauncher" with the supplied SA-7L, so hopefully it'll work.

I think I got it set, clouds are at 12 (or 12,000 ft) at this screenshot, so for the cloudlets.... not sure, could just be the widesky mod?

post-5735-1226301672_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it is your SA-7L, or just the SA-7 in general, but I had it placed on The Range map and flew over it a few times and it didn't launch. It tracked me fine, but not sure about if it was just the fact that it doesn't fire....

Not sure if it is your SA-7L, or just the SA-7 in general, but I had it placed on The Range map and flew over it a few times and it didn't launch. It tracked me fine, but not sure about if it was just the fact that it doesn't fire....

We talked about the SA-7 a little toward the end of this thread. Some of this might help.

Also, what I found recently with the SA-9, is that the lock-on chance, launch reliability, and seeker FOV need to be bumped way up in the weaponsdata.ini (look at the SA-13). Seems to get a lot more launches that way.

*edit* - Here is the link I forgot to post: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=31601&hl=

Edited by malibu43

Cool man, thanks! :good:

Did some experimenting, seems old Gerald has more bases set up. Still need tweaking, but if you have KMD... you can find out where they are. Figured on how to place object(s) I think.. whenever it comes up gonna have to get a screenie to see if it works or not, but there's Kandahar, Herat, Kundiz (sp?) And Masar i Sharif. They're all Neutral so obviously they don't come up but will post a screenie just to show it. And you can fly the hell out west. Did a recon mission and flew for a half hour, and flew back and checked out the assigned target. I know it's not complete... but there's some things to look around though... And if Gerald fully fills out the targets.... man it's what's called a "Target Rich Environment" Oh wait, it already is :smile:

med_gallery_3395_49_66215.jpg

A Mi-24 surrounded by Taliban. Its time to destroy it, before it comes into wrong hands.

As you imagined new groundtargets in Afghanistan terrain.

A Mi-24 surrounded by Taliban. Its time to destroy it, before it comes into wrong hands.

As you imagined new groundtargets in Afghanistan terrain.

Gepard it gave me a idea...

have u saw those paratroopers being droped from the C-130 and walking in the ground??(btw, who was the genios tat did it?)

it can be a gread addiction with Mi-24 droping the troops from it....

is there an bombday animation for the Mi-24?(i haven't tried yet)

Edited by Silverbolt

You can use paratroopers, but this is no part of a terrain, its part of the planes or better said part of the ammo. And walking paratroopers i havent seen for SFP1/WOE/WOI. But it would be a nice feature.

Edited by Gepard

You can use paratroopers, but this is no part of a terrain, its part of the planes or better said part of the ammo. And walking paratroopers i havent seen for SFP1/WOE/WOI. But it would be a nice feature.

humm...

oh yeah, there is...i've saw in this video:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=6nBHT25HtFY

2:10

would be nice drop'em in the mountains...

You know, I need to learn how to place objects in the maps. The sheer scale of targets and targetable objects... is going to be ALOT of work. Flew from Masar-I-Sharif (I "opened" it up) and yeah, it's quite a bit of work to do....

Targetarea building is best by TE to find the location. The rest is simple setting of objects in a 2 dimensional coordinate system with the centrecoordinates x=0, y=0.

By the way Kunduz is no mistake. Its one of the places where german troops stand in Afghanistan, as Faizabad and Masar i Sharif

Nah "(sp?)" equals "did I spell it correctly?" I know it's not an error on your part, which is cool, but thought I spelled it wrong, and apparently I have :smile:

Well... I think I added a new target base, a Scud launcher and some AAA and a munitions depot. It hasn't so far cycled to the target so I can get a snapshot, but after viewing through the KMD... it's definitely enemy. Now my question is.. do I have to make waypoints or does the game, when selecting that target, automatically make them?

Also, depending on what aircraft you use.. be advised, a friendly warning to bring ECM if you're using modern SAMs and AAA. It's not too bad in the Bagram-Jbad road, but I took out a Harrier and got shot down...

In a terrain you can make only static ground targets. In single missions you can define mobile targets.