Sign in to follow this  

WAIT. So if I have a target area, portraying a an arty site, positioned nearby an area where a ground battle according to movements' data (apparently now specified in campaings, and no longer in terrains movement file, althoguht is hear-say and I still ahve to check).. in this case you will sea TANK force attacking the other TANK force, that is receiving support from arty site nearby placed?

OMG will we EVER exploit the possibilty of this system... and thinking of vietnam,, now that armed recon missions do work in campaign,, we CAN have the hochi mihn trail raids!

Actually, the ground battle location would be dictated by ground units, nodes, and offensives in a campaign... not the movement.ini files.

somebody's been definatly NOT playing my terrain mods... :wink:

They're placed just like any other terrain object, albeit still UseGroundObject=TRUE in the types ini. Just like any other vehicle you want to show up in a certain area, to do a certain thing.

Get the 2 terrains I mentioned above, and you'll see.

Wrench

kevin stein

I've actually been using your SoCal terrain...guess I never noticed them firing before. Do they automatically fire at other ground units in range? Time to fly around some more...

in this case you will sea TANK force attacking the other TANK force, that is receiving support from arty site nearby placed?

In short, YES!!! Albeit, as long as they're in range of the guns. They're still LOS weapons; somebody 'brighter' than me needs to figure out the 'indirect fire support' mode. I'd actually stumbled on this, by fixing tanks down on the Iran/Iraq map rebuild, at "border bases", when it occured to me that creating a working artillery piece was just the matter of a few ini edits. We already had the D-20 (from like, 3-4 years ago) in the Pasko Pak; the DAT had produced some arty pieces (which keep shooting themselves in the foot...they've never been fixed to my knowledge) So I built a 'passable' M-59 for the West. If you look at it closely, you'll just see it Pasko's KS-19 re-inied. I liked his better, because its "crew-served", with the dudes there.

I also have an IDF SPG, L-33 Roem, based off the DATs M-7 Priest, but can't release it due to permission issues. (if anyone has the M-7, and wants to convert it, I'll be glad to pass along the various inis and bmps)

Kesselbrut also has several arty units in the Falklands map, though I haven't played it enough to see if they actually work.

One could also, concievbly, take the UK/RAF 3.7in flak guns and turn them into artillery; the 'emplaced' version has a nice sandbag berm. The same could also be said for the 88Flak36, in it's standing nekked and emplaced version. Weren't they dual-purpose, anyway???

On the DS map, I've got several forward support bases, all along the Saudi/Iragi border, and built the movements ini to bring enemy units close. BOTH artillery AND tanks stationed at these bases will attempt to engage the inbound enemy vehicles. What I haven't tested, are the MLRS units that are here at CA. Just something I kinda forgot to do. But the kytushas DO acquire, engage and destroy enemy units.

tn: on the SoCal map, Ft Gunst, below San Diego. On the ASW map, Brownsville. Run some CAS mission in those areas; you'll see. The 'Brownsville Defense Battery' is located south of, and between, the City of Brownsville and the Airport. BTW, on the SoCal map, there's an SA-5 site below Tjuiana, so watch out for inbound missiles. :biggrin:

They'll also show up on the Korea rebuild; I've got masked batteries hidden in the forests...

nk_arty.jpg

They're there just in case a Martian Tripod stumbles by....

Wrench

kevin stein

re-reading last nights post, I want to apologize to Gepard for the thread hijack...

for those interestered, "ARTILLERY" has been a listed object type since SFP1 first came out. (the SCUD is listed as such). It's just no one ever actually implemented it before...

Again, sorry Michael, for the hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled terrain discussion...

Wrench

kevin stein

I think i found the cause of the problem of the non existing groundbattle. Its the latest patch. I tested Afghanistan terrain with WOE. In my WOE without the September Patch i had a very nice fire exchange, with the September patch it was silence on the battlefield.

Sh...t.

Oh, crap!!! I hope that's not true....

Looks like I'll be moving the ASW terrain into the fully patched install, and testing.. I am NOT rebuilding that terrain again..

Wrench

kevin stein

Oh, crap!!! I hope that's not true....

Looks like I'll be moving the ASW terrain into the fully patched install, and testing.. I am NOT rebuilding that terrain again..

Wrench

kevin stein

any result?

that would jeopardize many projects

Sorry...TV night...have to keep up with "Ugly Betty" and CSI :yes:

Everything on the two maps, ASW and SoCal is working just like it was before the patch. Watching the tanks engage each other at Brownsville (and actually overrunning the Matamores Defense base, but bypassing the arty units!!! -not a good strategy for tankers...) The guns batteries on both side and activly engaging and shooting at each other.

On the SoCal map, the same thing...albeit the one border station (The Catamounts at Lake Tahoe) are out of range of the enemy tanks. But at San Deigo, they're doing their thing.

So, I don't know what to say Gepard...maybe move the batteries closer together??

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, i think we had spoken about different things.

If i put a convoi with the movements.ini on the map, and place groundobjects like artillery on his way, then the ari will open the fire.

I think this is what you mentioned.

My intention was different. I wanted to place the groundobjects only on the map. I wanted to make the truck convois with BR-60 and T-55 escord by hand and wanted to place the taliban with RPG-7 and AK-47 around the convoi in the kind of a trap or ambush, dont know the right english term, in german i would say Feuersack. The lines of such an example i will hang on below.

With the standard WOE (without September patch) i got a nice fireexchange with the end, that all Trucks and one or 2 BTR would burn, only the tank would survive and fight till all talibs would be killed or the ammo was off.

After installing the September patch talibs and convoi had no fireexchange anymore.

[TargetArea003]

Name=Convoi

Position=876000.0,681700.0

Radius=7071.067871

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Target[001].Type=BTR-60_E

Target[001].Offset=-150.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=270.0

Target[002].Type=SovietTruck

Target[002].Offset=-100.00,3.00

Target[002].Heading=270.0

Target[003].Type=SovietTruck

Target[003].Offset=-50.00,5.00

Target[003].Heading=270.0

Target[004].Type=SovietTruck

Target[004].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[004].Heading=270.0

Target[005].Type=SovietTruck

Target[005].Offset=50.00,3.00

Target[005].Heading=270.0

Target[006].Type=BTR-60_E

Target[006].Offset=100.00,5.00

Target[006].Heading=270.0

Target[007].Type=T-55

Target[007].Offset=150.00,5.00

Target[007].Heading=270.0

[TargetArea004]

Name=Taliban Feuersack Teil 1

Position=876000.0,682000.0

Radius=7071.067871

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=ENEMY

Target[001].Type=RPG-7

Target[001].Offset=-150.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=180.0

Target[002].Type=RPG-7

Target[002].Offset=-100.00,30.00

Target[002].Heading=180.0

Target[003].Type=RPG-7

Target[003].Offset=-30.00,50.00

Target[003].Heading=180.0

Target[004].Type=RPG-7

Target[004].Offset=30.00,50.00

Target[004].Heading=180.0

Target[005].Type=RPG-7

Target[005].Offset=80.00,50.00

Target[005].Heading=180.0

Target[006].Type=Taliban

Target[006].Offset=-180.00,50.00

Target[006].Heading=180.0

Target[007].Type=Taliban

Target[007].Offset=-130.00,50.00

Target[007].Heading=180.0

Target[008].Type=Taliban

Target[008].Offset=-80.00,50.00

Target[008].Heading=180.0

Target[009].Type=Taliban

Target[009].Offset=-40.00,50.00

Target[009].Heading=180.0

Target[010].Type=Taliban

Target[010].Offset=20.00,50.00

Target[010].Heading=180.0

Target[011].Type=Taliban

Target[011].Offset=50.00,50.00

Target[011].Heading=180.0

Target[012].Type=Taliban

Target[012].Offset=90.00,50.00

Target[012].Heading=180.0

Edited by Gepard

OK I can finally show a bit of the stuff I'm doing for Afganistan, it's about half done but showable if I choose the right areas and angles lol

img00002-5.jpg

img00003-7.jpg

img00004-4.jpg

img00005-4.jpg

img00006-4.jpg

WOW. That takes the photo out of 'photorealistic' :tongue:

EDIT- Gepard, if you haven't fixed your ground object problem yet, you might want to check the types.ini, maybe it was broken by the patch.

Edited by jtin

With the new terraintiles Afghanistan terrain will looks great. Its very nice.

And when the tileset is out, then also WOE users can fly over Afghanistan. Then the best is a basic WOE without the September patch.

By the way, where can i change the altitude of the clouds?

The ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI file located in the Flight folder.

Nice work there on that terrain!

FastCargo

With the new terraintiles Afghanistan terrain will looks great. Its very nice.

And when the tileset is out, then also WOE users can fly over Afghanistan. Then the best is a basic WOE without the September patch.

By the way, where can i change the altitude of the clouds?

As FC said....

this entries

CloudsScattered]
MaxClouds=64
MaxCloudParticles=110
3DCloudMaterial=CloudMaterial
3DCloudHorizontalSize=1800.0
3DCloudVerticalSize=600.0
3DCloudSizeDeviation=0.6
3DCloudParticleDensity=2.6
ParticleSize=340.0
ParticleSizeDeviation=0.3
[b]MinBaseAltitude=1000.0
MaxBaseAltitude=1100.0[/b]
UseBottomRow=TRUE

[CloudsBroken]
MaxClouds=56
MaxCloudParticles=110
3DCloudHorizontalSize=4000.0
3DCloudVerticalSize=900.0
3DCloudSizeDeviation=0.6
3DCloudParticleDensity=3.2
ParticleSize=640.0
ParticleSizeDeviation=0.2
MaxBaseAltitude=1200.0[/b]
UseBottomRow=TRUE

[CloudsOvercast]
MaxClouds=56
MaxCloudParticles=110
3DCloudHorizontalSize=1700.0
3DCloudSizeDeviation=0.8
ParticleSize=400.0
MaxBaseAltitude=1000.0[/b]
UseBottomRow=TRUE

[CloudsInclement]
MaxClouds=56
MaxCloudParticles=110
3DCloudHorizontalSize=1700.0
3DCloudSizeDeviation=0.8
ParticleSize=400.0
[b]MinBaseAltitude=800.0
MaxBaseAltitude=800.0[/b]
UseBottomRow=TRUE

Edited by Silverbolt

BTW guys, the tiles are 1024x1024, however, I'm not sure there's real benefit from that there must be some obviously but I'm afraid it's not big.

What should I do, size them down to 512x512, or let them out like this so people can size it as they like?

@Gepard, I'm glad you like it and I'll need something from you, the min and max altitudes for tile types, currently I've just laid it out randomly, and also the citylist would be nice. Or maybe the best would be if I send you the tileset once it's done sou you can texture the terrain as you see fit :)

You can also put a terrain specific ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI in the terrain's folder, and call it out from terrain's main .ini.

I was trying to find some of my photos to help you guys with the terrain. There is a red desert that is just south of Kandahar (maybe 10 miles), and stretches south and west. It's weird seeing it from 25K as it has a pronounced drop/rise. But it's a huge landmark and would be cool to get it into the terrain.

Here is one of mine from an A/R over that desert.

FA-18FVFA-211OEFA.jpg

Here are some photos I did find on the net. Most are from a Army Helo pilot, so I'll respect his ownership of the photos and link them, instead of posting the actual photo. The others are also from the net. The map is really good and if you could use that to help with the terrain.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.l.veneber...310164134033330

http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.l.veneber...288079412197250

http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.l.veneber...309992335341458

http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.l.veneber...310086824621986

Red Desert 2

Afghan Topography map

Hope it all helps. I've spent a lot of time over this country and would like to see the map done as close as we can get to real.

Jeff

Edited by ST0RM

No promises but it might be doable from my side, it will also depend on the final terrain. If Gepard includes Kandahar then I might actually do it as Google Earth has great shots of that desert. If not, there's no point for me to do it if there will be no action around it ;)

If i put a convoi with the movements.ini on the map, and place groundobjects like artillery on his way, then the ari will open the fire.

My intention was different. I wanted to place the groundobjects only on the map. I wanted to make the truck convois with BR-60 and T-55 escord by hand and wanted to place the taliban with RPG-7 and AK-47 around the convoi in the kind of a trap or ambush, dont know the right english term, in german i would say Feuersack. The lines of such an example i will hang on below.

With the standard WOE (without September patch) i got a nice fireexchange with the end, that all Trucks and one or 2 BTR would burn, only the tank would survive and fight till all talibs would be killed or the ammo was off.

After installing the September patch talibs and convoi had no fireexchange anymore.

any news about this one? In Falkland terrain the british ships ashore of stanley (put in the target terrain file ) used to sheel the airport with their guns. I do not see this anymore with hew patch. Wrench do you confirm that it works in your terrain?

Seems like another think broken by this patch, toghter with the problems many usrs are reporting for landing on carriers..

Brought to TK's attention.

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...;p=35363#p35363

Edited by Canadair

Looks great.

What do fields of opium poppies look like from the air? The flowers tend to range in colour from mauve/pink to a deep red. Might make the cultivated areas on the valley floors more interesting.

LloydNB

post-2351-1224208753_thumb.jpg

post-2351-1224208770_thumb.jpg