Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

USAF bombs Las Vegas

oops!

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.as...mp;nav=168XDWn7

I love how the news guys manipulate the pictures and video to magnify the size of the bomb. Nice sensationalism.

I'll be that BG really enjoyed being out there explaining how he bombed a truck.

Wonder what that insurance claim for the truck will look like................

:rofl:

Well, the spotting charge in a BDU-33 is still powerful enough to hurt someone.

But yeah, they did jack that photo...considering a BDU-33 is barely over half the length of a baseball bat and not any thicker...I've launched model rockets that are bigger.

FastCargo

Well, the spotting charge in a BDU-33 is still powerful enough to hurt someone.

But yeah, they did jack that photo...considering a BDU-33 is barely over half the length of a baseball bat and not any thicker...I've launched model rockets that are bigger.

FastCargo

Boink! Doesn't BDU-33 have a small smoke charge in it to mark hits on the range? Is that what you are calling the spotting charge?

Edited by Jug

Boink! Doesn't BDU-33 have a small smoke charge in it to mark hits on the range? Is that what you are calling the spotting charge?

Yeppers...bet ya dropped a few yourself (on purpose of course) back in the day...

We'd drop those or BDU-48s (the coffee can on a stick glued to a tea cup saucer)...bet it was really funny looking to anyone watching. Big ass supersonic bomber dropping something no bigger than a forearm.

FastCargo

lucky it was part of a dummy bomb ^_^ LOL

I guess that is the replacement for the old Mk-76?

that one did have a spotting charge roughly the size of a shotgun shell in the nose. Not something that you would want to detonate in your hand....

I actually dropped one on the range. Got an E-2 Bombadier Designation Letter and out-bombed our fighter squadrons for accuracy.

:biggrin:

I wonder if the safety block was still on it or if the load crew put it on and let the news take pictures of it. :dntknw: That would be weird if somebody forgot to remove it before flight. ;)

I wonder if the safety block was still on it or if the load crew put it on and let the news take pictures of it. :dntknw: That would be weird if somebody forgot to remove it before flight. ;)

I think that was probably a static one they brought out to show the news team what it was. I rather doubt the one that hit the concrete and then the truck would look so clean.

It was time to bomb that hell of vice and corruption

REPENT SINNERS!!!

hold on a minute... was that a Mk87 exercise bomb? oops. Forget what i said

It was time to bomb that hell of vice and corruption

REPENT SINNERS!!!

hold on a minute... was that a Mk87 exercise bomb? oops. Forget what i said

Hehe, I think Vegas is taking care of itself with that! I was at Nellis last year for Green Flag and I saw a leg in the middle of the road when I went to town one evening. DON'T cross the street where there's no crosswalk! :blink:

...I saw a leg in the middle of the road...

Ewww! Seen a LOT of things in Vegas...but never something like that...sure you didn't stumble onto the set of CSI? :biggrin:

FastCargo

ive been bombed in vegas, hell it was for 2 weeks, thanks to the air force no less. they ran out of on base units to put us in so we stayed in a small motel just off the strip.

anyways, BDU-33 sure it can kill you, if it lands on you. cuz well anything that weights 25 lbs and falling from the sky can do that. the spotting charge, labeled as 1.4 explosive, is about half the size of a roadflare in lenght, and about the same thinkness. from the looks of the picture they have, the safety block was still in place since the flag is still with the bomb. why they wouldnt take it off before flying is beyond me. also the bomb doesnt come in two pieces, just one. unless you count the spotting charge as the second piece. ill tell you what, after build hundreds, in not thousands of these things, rather putting a charge in them, and then stacking them, it sure does wear you out. id rather deal with making dummy mk-82's cuz atleast we didnt have to lift them with our hands.