Sign in to follow this  
darkjak

Future Swedish fighter

Hi.

I'm thinking of creating a future fighter for my campaign. I'm starting my 3D course next week :biggrin:

My thought has been to create a J35 Draken-ish aircraft.

I photoshopped up the below image.

My idea is to make the aircraft stealthier, have more hardpoints, have dual AKAN's like the older Draken versions. I'm also thinking to make the plane dual engined, and I'll see if you can reverse-thrust aircraft. And of course, it's supposed to have a hook so it'll be able to land on an aircraft carrier.

The name of the aircraft's to be AJS 40 Fenix.

Anyone got any more ideas?

post-36934-1226274141_thumb.jpg

Edited by darkjak

delete the small fin in the middle, put a second engine on it and split the vertail. rework the nose section to get a F-22 shape on it caus eof stealth

add canards to the front section just behind the intake

add bombays one on each wing for sidewinders and one larger one in the midlle for amrams or bombs. (u could put aditional outside hardpoints)

refueling probe

two seats

Theres tons of stuff u could do

ultimatley ur only limited by ur imagination ....and patience when using the 3d max

Sounds like a sweet plan tho

Well, honestely i think this Double-Delta Wing Configuration is out of date for Modern Warfare.

Well, honestely i think this Double-Delta Wing Configuration is out of date for Modern Warfare.

The only drawback with double delta is that it tends to superstall, and that it has somewhat limited manouverability. Both those issues were planned to be fixed in the J35 MOD, which was to have foldable canards.

Double Delta enables a small aircraft to carry lots of weapons both internally and externally, as well as plenty of fuel. The Draken was for a very long time the only aircraft that could reach Mach while climbing, if I remember correctly. And we're talking about an aircraft that first flew in the 50's. Imagine a modern dual-engined aircraft with modern, more light engines (the JAS 39 Gripens engine weighs about a third of the Draken engine, yet provides better thrust), and carbon fibre body. That should result in a stealth joint strike fighter capable of flying at M2.5+.

Double delta should also in theory be very stealthy because of it's few angles.

Slightly off topic but the Draken was a very advanced aircraft for its day and the radar in the 'F' version was the longest-ranged in Western Europe until F-15's arrived in Bitburg (and I'm not forgetting the Phantom).

Back on topic, a good source of ideas are the Tony Butler 'secret project' series of books and also www.secretprojects.co.uk

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php

Edited by Spinners

To proove that an aircraft with double delta configuration could work on amodern aircraft, I've photoshopped a F-22 into looking somewhat what a dual engined double delta aircraft might look like:

As you can see, the aircraft is bigger, and has fewer angles than the regular F-22. Making this a somewhat better bomber/strike aircraft.

Any thoughts?

post-36934-1226357262_thumb.jpg

Edited by darkjak

pretty good, but I'd change up the tail fins and engine exhausts, least it look like another F-22 clone. Also, the swedish jet designers seem to be minimalists, and their planes are usually small, light and efficient.

otherwise, looks like a perfectly legit 5.5 gen fighter!

pretty good, but I'd change up the tail fins and engine exhausts, least it look like another F-22 clone. Also, the swedish jet designers seem to be minimalists, and their planes are usually small, light and efficient.

cute this f-22....but it was also a proposal made from boeing, called b-22, in order to cover with existing technology and limited development costs a substitute for f-111 and a plane more capable than f15e.it had also two more bomb bays at the wings, for small diameter smart bombs.a proposal lost somewhere in pentagon

The question is however, where should the Saab team go from here? With the SuperGripen, all the Gripen's old flaws will be gone (range, carying capacity). My natural thought is stealth, and even more range.

To proove that an aircraft with double delta configuration could work on amodern aircraft, I've photoshopped a F-22 into looking somewhat what a dual engined double delta aircraft might look like:

As you can see, the aircraft is bigger, and has fewer angles than the regular F-22. Making this a somewhat better bomber/strike aircraft.

Any thoughts?

Try checking this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FB-22

The FB-22 is in the foreground.

And this:

180px-DoD_Lockheed_ATF_DF-ST-87-12789.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DoD_Loc...ST-87-12789.jpgThe original Lockheed Advanced Tactical Fighter concept (1986)

Just suggesting. :biggrin:

The question is however, where should the Saab team go from here? With the SuperGripen, all the Gripen's old flaws will be gone (range, carying capacity). My natural thought is stealth, and even more range.

I guess that depends on who's ordering it... :wink:

Making it have a hook for Carrier Ops may be cool, but not very practical. Sweden has never needed and unless the world around the floods and turn Stockholm into the only Island in the area, they wont need one either. It has been the luxuary of Swedish Defence to focus more on weapons, interception speed and agility then range.

Otherwise, its a nice idea. Keep it up!

Making it have a hook for Carrier Ops may be cool, but not very practical. Sweden has never needed and unless the world around the floods and turn Stockholm into the only Island in the area, they wont need one either. It has been the luxuary of Swedish Defence to focus more on weapons, interception speed and agility then range.

Otherwise, its a nice idea. Keep it up!

Sorry I've been gone.

Actually Sweden is currently more and more participating in foreign operations, so the natural evolution is an aircraft carrier version. Saab were planning to make a carrier based Gripen, and they still might do it if anyone with the need wants them.

Range is also something that the Gripen is getting improved.

Exams have been pure hell the last few weeks, but now I'm back with a new concept image.

fenixd.jpg

And even if there never will be another Double Delta fighter (which I believe there will), it's still fun to have it in the game!

When will I start? I don't know, maybe tomorrow.