The fact is that we are about to have some modern enemies for the newest aircraft. Together with J-10 and the

Su-30MK if finally arrives, we will be able to shoot down different aircraft

- i even dream with Fulcrums, Flankers and Foxhounds

More work, getting more details, and panel lines.

post-5735-1228063451_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228063469_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228063488_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228063507_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228063518_thumb.jpg

good skinning, can feel the air tonight....

A little tweak................the F-5 when ready for takeoff has a paddle on the stick (E/F models only) that decompresses the nosegear oleo strut and causes the nose to raise. The aircraft looks kinda like it is 'cocked' for takeoff which it is and, actually, that is the idea. It sets the takeoff AOA closer to actual. To duplicate this 'cocked' look on the runway for takeoff, change the following:

[NoseGear]

SpringFactor=2.0 <-- change this to 5

[LeftMainGear]

SpringFactor=3.0 <-- change this to 1

[RightMainGear]

Looks better on the E model. (tested in WoV and WoE w/current patches)

Edited by Jug

A little tweak................the F-5 when ready for takeoff has a paddle on the stick (E/F models only) that decompresses the nosegear oleo strut and causes the nose to raise. The aircraft looks kinda like it is 'cocked' for takeoff which it is and, actually, that is the idea. It sets the takeoff AOA closer to actual. To duplicate this 'cocked' look on the runway for takeoff, change the following:

[NoseGear]

SpringFactor=2.0 <-- change this to 5

[LeftMainGear]

[RightMainGear]

Looks better on the E model. (tested in WoV and WoE w/current patches)

Which may help the takeoff. I've had to start rotating at 180+ knots. Using the Super Bug as an example, I rotate past 120 knots and while essentially the SH has been optimized for STOL takeoffs, there's no reason a plane that's overall.... 3 to 4 times as heavy should takeoff that easy. Then again I'm no pilot with experience with any F-5 version but it does seem odd.

Well, to be fair, the T-38 (basically a 'hard wing' F-5B) has the highest takeoff and landing speeds of any aircraft in the USAF inventory, now that the F-117 has been retired. Jug could give you some better answers on the performance of the F-5E/F series...but it wouldn't surprise me if the F-5E/F has a longer takeoff roll and faster T/O speed than a SupaHornet. The Hornet has those huge wings and very large LERXs that help in the low speed regime, along with being optimized for carrier ops.

But I'm really not definitive on my answers here.

FC

Didn't iran move the wings upwards a little bit for the sagheah?

Well, to be fair, the T-38 (basically a 'hard wing' F-5B) has the highest takeoff and landing speeds of any aircraft in the USAF inventory, now that the F-117 has been retired. Jug could give you some better answers on the performance of the F-5E/F series...but it wouldn't surprise me if the F-5E/F has a longer takeoff roll and faster T/O speed than a SupaHornet. The Hornet has those huge wings and very large LERXs that help in the low speed regime, along with being optimized for carrier ops.

But I'm really not definitive on my answers here.

FC

And obviously you're right, since the SH is optimized for STOL capabilities, but just wanted to make sure my suspicions were correct. Still working on it though it's kinda busy tonight so will continue to plug at it.

And obviously you're right, since the SH is optimized for STOL capabilities, but just wanted to make sure my suspicions were correct. Still working on it though it's kinda busy tonight so will continue to plug at it.

The performance of the F-5E/F pretty much matches the performance of the T-38. It is a heavier aircraft and can be loaded up much more, but it also has bigger engines, so the tradeoff is a wash in terms of what a pilot would notice. The F-5E/F actual lift off speed should be around the same place that a T-38 lifts off, once again, the wash between additional weight and additional thrust. The F-5 is quicker when it is clean or just with wingtip missiles because of the added thrust. However, the sim does reflect real life in that pilot technique makes a big difference. If you don't lift the nose wheel off of the concrete, then the jet will scoot to the end of the runway and into the jungle, never flying. The cocked position assists the AOA for lift off, but does not change the pilot requirement to rotate or it will never lift off prior to becoming a smoking hole at the departure end of the runway.

It is a mistake, in my opinion, to compare capabilities of the SH to the F-5 of any flavor. The SH represents a quantum leap in wing design and technology as compared to the F-5. Anything that is similar between the two is circumstance.

Hope this helps a little in the discussion.

Edited by Jug

And agreed Jug, but I don't have much experience first hand with a/c, other than directing them. So that's what I'm used to, and probably just spoiled on the lift capabilities. Older aircraft I've had to rotate down the runway I get better performance so while it's a bad example, I'm going from at least simulated to real world experience, and trying to get an idea really, if that's really the performance the E/F had. Which of course somebody who's really flown the aircraft, has experienced.

Got the lines finalized to an extent, least the main ones. I figure within a week in a half it should be near finished.

Well thankfully it's not too detailed for what I'm using, so the main problem was getting the pattern lined up. Still touchups for line work, but be advised I'm using a single-seat pattern on a two-seater, which right now isn't too shabby :smile:

I was wondering about that. I've also seen pics for Iran's current F-5Fs, so the pattern should just fit right over.

FC

This is from Don Color, and generally using this scheme. Also when I posted earlier I forgot my thumbdrive. Small additions, but still progress:

post-5735-1228241714_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228241743_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228241758_thumb.jpg

Also FC... you just want the bird's camo, detailing and that's it? Not sure if you're going to apply decals to this...

Honestly, they pretty much need the whole package (skinning and decaling). Unless there are decals already in the stock installs that would work.

FC

Okay, I can skin the roundels and stuff on there, but not a decaller... I don't honestly believe in them, so if you got somebody to help...

Eric,

Lets leave the roundrels off then. I'd prefer decals...I'll make them myself if necessary.

FC

small work. Thankfully the panel lines aren't numerous so the initial work is relatively easy. Gotta touchup and probably start weathering pretty soon.

post-5735-1228325265_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1228325276_thumb.jpg

Man, I'm beginning to like this bird. :good:

Too bad I'll have to fry it. :biggrin:

Very nice bird indeed.

Way to go gentlemen.