Sign in to follow this  
chiller1064

Strike Fighters P1 Service Packs

Anyone know where I can get the Service Packs for SFP1- I have a clean install and need to get this up to date in order to use the Korean War mod.

I want to avoid the Oct 2008 patch since it seems to cause issues with mods and weapon packs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone know where I can get the Service Packs for SFP1- I have a clean install and need to get this up to date in order to use the Korean War mod.

I want to avoid the Oct 2008 patch since it seems to cause issues with mods and weapon packs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe someone can pm them to you.

However the Oct 2008 patch doesn't cause any issues with mods or weapons packs. Some mods just need to brought up to the Oct 2008 standard.

I have all my installs all patched up to Oct 2008 and I am running perfectly.

CombatAce seems to remove the old patches prematurely. It would be nice if they kept that last versions available especially for the multiplay folks and those wanting to use the weapons packs. Anyway, the patches you want are the Service Pack 5.15.06 (74.2 MB) and the patch 8.30.06 (5.73 MB). You will have to google search the Service Pack. CombatAce still has the service pack available athttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=3227. Don't ask me why they post the patch without posting the service pack. If you have trouble locating the Service Pack, let me know and I'll try to rectify the situation for you.

CombatAce seems to remove the old patches prematurely. It would be nice if they kept that last versions available especially for the multiplay folks and those wanting to use the weapons packs. Anyway, the patches you want are the Service Pack 5.15.06 (74.2 MB) and the patch 8.30.06 (5.73 MB). You will have to google search the Service Pack. CombatAce still has the service pack available athttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=3227. Don't ask me why they post the patch without posting the service pack. If you have trouble locating the Service Pack, let me know and I'll try to rectify the situation for you.

First of all doghouse, I deleted the old patches because they confused everyone. Second of all, the patch and the service pack are the SAME THING just called different things. Some people call them patches, some call them service packs....but they are the same.

Now if someone has all those patches or service packs and wants to upload them to CA then fine. If people get confused, then they get confused.

Dave, you're getting this confused with Wings Over Europe. The game in question is Strike Fighters Project 1. There was a Service Pack version 5.15.06 AND a patch version 8.30.06. They are NOT the same, one being 74.2 MB in size while the other is 5.73 MB. The Service Pack brought SFP1 up to the WOE standard at the time. BTW, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. :-)

If you buy (bought? don't know if TK has updated them yet) the download versions of the game, they install already patched to 083006... so no worries about patching anything.

Of course of you want to play an earlier version (especially SFP1) you still need original CD releases, but is there anyone still interested in flying SFP1 at SP1, SP2a, or SP3 (post WOV) levels?

SFP1 patches were initially called service packs.

SP2 had a major glitch, so TK re-released it as SP2a.

The release of WOV led to SP3 for SFP1 to bring it up to the same standard.

AI and FM problems in WOV led to a series of hotfixes which started to confuse the service pack naming convention.

The release of WOE marked the end of the original service pack 1-2-3 designation system.

TK switched to using dates, which made a lot more sense since WOE had no service packs while SFP1 would need its fourth service pack to be brought up to WOE standards.

The 051506 service pack for SFP1 was never officially called SP4 (which would have been SP1 for WOV).

The 083006 patches were the cumination of various hotfixes for WOE (which never had a service pack).

The release of WOI has marked a slight modification to the service pack/patch naming convention to make the release date more clear.

According to TK, this is the final update for SFP1, which is technically SP5... an amazing number of major updates for any sim.

If you can live with the AI, SP4 is fine... but the October 2008 release is better in so many ways: terrain, AI, weapons performance, damage modeling, formation commands, etc.

The only consistent flaws I see in this latest revision are AI ground impacts when being tailed and difficulty ordering your wingman to attack your target.

But having both friendly and enemy AI capable of getting missile and gun kills and Sparrows that actually miss a lot of the time especially at low atlitudes are worth these two little flaws.

No you all are incorrect in trying to correct me. I am talking terminology. They have been called the following; patches, game updates, and or service packs. Yes I understand the difference between ones doghouse is mentioning. The problem everyone is using different terms thus the confusion.

As far as how my Thanksgiving went, over it was pretty crappy. Had to go in the command post at 6 am because of the crisis in India and do a personell accountability and then had to go in the next day and send an OPREP to HQ AFRC because we lost one of our LTs in motorcycle accident. His daughter isnt even 1 yet.

Perhaps this will help clarify things. I copied TK's patch pages BEFORE he released the Oct08 patch and erased the previous data. The info below is a Copy and Paste of that page. I know it's not showing up like it should on his site on this forum page, but the information is correct. You will note that TK called one a Service Pack and the other a Patch. I've been trying to call them by what TK originally named them so as NOT to cause any confusion. Things started to get confusing when TK released 3 other Wings games, some requiring a Service Pack and Patch, others requiring only a Patch, and then started calling the Oct08 patches an upgrade in the same breath. Now when I download a Service Pack or Patch or Upgrade or whatever anyone else wants to call them I also copy the web page where it came from and stick them all in an appropriate folder for archive because I too am getting confused by all this. But, to bring a stock SFP1 game up to 8.30.06 specs, both files must be installed.

------------------------------------------------------- From TK's web site----------------------------------------------------------------

Strike Fighters: Project 1 Patch (v08.30.06)

This patch brings the game up to the latest version. This patch is a cumulative patch since the Service Pack, and it contains all the fixes from previous patches. It can be applied to any version of Strike Fighters: Project 1 with Service Pack applied. Please read the Readme.txt for more details.

Patch v08.30.06 (5.73 MB)

Strike Fighters: Project 1 Service Pack (v05.15.06)

This Service Pack is a major upgrade to Strike Fighters: Project 1 and includes many new and exciting features, fixes, and improvements. It contains all the fixes from all previous patches and service packs, and it can be applied to any version of Strike Fighters: Project 1. Please read the Readme.txt for more details.

Service Pack v05.15.06 (74.2 MB)

After upgrading with this Service Pack, the game will require at least the April 2006 version of DirectX to run correctly.

If you're receiving "missing d3dx9_3x.dll" error, this means your DirectX 9.0c is not up to date. (Aug 2008 is the most current version)

To download and install the latest DirectX, please visit Microsoft website at

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (only download and install needed files)

Alternatively, you can download full DirectX End-User Runtimes (80.3 MB) to upgrade computer without internet connection during installation.

But TK had very specific terminology:

A service pack was a major update to the core engine that in later implementations (starting with the 051506 service pack) could be applied without installing any prior service packs or patches.

Whereas the 083006 patch consisted of minor fixes and required that the 051506 service pack be installed before it could be applied.

So, you must have both the service pack and the patch to achieve the 083006 standard or a downloaded version of the games which have single file installation exe files that install the game already patched to the 083006 standard.

Originally, with SFP1 TK required each service pack to be applied in succession to try to keep the download size as small as possible.

Over time, high speed internet became a lot more common and some people were having issues with applying the right patches in the right order, so TK made the 051506 "rollup" service pack to simplify the process.

Obviously, TK has completely given up trying to manage minimize internet bandwidth for both him and his customers, as he now makes nearly every patch a complete standalone capable of patching any installation at any prior patch level up to the current level.

Perhaps this will help clarify things. I copied TK's patch pages BEFORE he released the Oct08 patch and erased the previous data. The info below is a Copy and Paste of that page. I know it's not showing up like it should on his site on this forum page, but the information is correct. You will note that TK called one a Service Pack and the other a Patch. I've been trying to call them by what TK originally named them so as NOT to cause any confusion. Things started to get confusing when TK released 3 other Wings games, some requiring a Service Pack and Patch, others requiring only a Patch, and then started calling the Oct08 patches an upgrade in the same breath. Now when I download a Service Pack or Patch or Upgrade or whatever anyone else wants to call them I also copy the web page where it came from and stick them all in an appropriate folder for archive because I too am getting confused by all this. But, to bring a stock SFP1 game up to 8.30.06 specs, both files must be installed.

------------------------------------------------------- From TK's web site----------------------------------------------------------------

Strike Fighters: Project 1 Patch (v08.30.06)

This patch brings the game up to the latest version. This patch is a cumulative patch since the Service Pack, and it contains all the fixes from previous patches. It can be applied to any version of Strike Fighters: Project 1 with Service Pack applied. Please read the Readme.txt for more details.

Patch v08.30.06 (5.73 MB)

Strike Fighters: Project 1 Service Pack (v05.15.06)

This Service Pack is a major upgrade to Strike Fighters: Project 1 and includes many new and exciting features, fixes, and improvements. It contains all the fixes from all previous patches and service packs, and it can be applied to any version of Strike Fighters: Project 1. Please read the Readme.txt for more details.

Service Pack v05.15.06 (74.2 MB)

After upgrading with this Service Pack, the game will require at least the April 2006 version of DirectX to run correctly.

If you're receiving "missing d3dx9_3x.dll" error, this means your DirectX 9.0c is not up to date. (Aug 2008 is the most current version)

To download and install the latest DirectX, please visit Microsoft website at

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (only download and install needed files)

Alternatively, you can download full DirectX End-User Runtimes (80.3 MB) to upgrade computer without internet connection during installation.

My eyes just got crossed.....so what should we call them patches or service packs?

well, i think you guys should ask TK itself....anyway in TW D/L site, there is just the last update....

just my 2 cents...

The problem is that if I try to update with any other patch/service pack besides the Oct 2008 update, I cannot since updating requires the installation of a previous service pack.

I tried running the Korean War mod with the Oct 2008 update and the game CTDs. So I would like to at least get to the 2006 (i.e. a non-2008) update and see how that goes.

I might suggest we call each file by what TK originally named it, and provide a link to the file. That should eliminate any confusion. (Hey, I said all that without using the words Service Pack, Patch, or Update)

I'm loving the Oct 2008 patches and just couldn't go back!

Regarding the weapons packs I've decided not to install them and now I just add the weapons and tanks provided in the add-on aircraft and have a slowly evolving weapons folder with 200 weapons and tanks at the moment. I took some time out to get all the stock Third Wire weapons and tanks together to create a common stock weapons folder and now I just update SFG with new stuff and then copy that folder to the other three games. This might be totally unrelated but I don't get CTD's at all.

The problem is that if I try to update with any other patch/service pack besides the Oct 2008 update, I cannot since updating requires the installation of a previous service pack.

I tried running the Korean War mod with the Oct 2008 update and the game CTDs. So I would like to at least get to the 2006 (i.e. a non-2008) update and see how that goes.

You might want to search here and at SimHQ for the threads releated to the Korean War mod. Some stuff needs to be fixed in that mod to be compatible with post-WOE level patches/service packs/updates/hotfixes...

Anyway, make sure it is the actual game and SP level you're having a problem with, and not just the mod...

I'm loving the Oct 2008 patches and just couldn't go back!

Regarding the weapons packs I've decided not to install them and now I just add the weapons and tanks provided in the add-on aircraft and have a slowly evolving weapons folder with 200 weapons and tanks at the moment. I took some time out to get all the stock Third Wire weapons and tanks together to create a common stock weapons folder and now I just update SFG with new stuff and then copy that folder to the other three games. This might be totally unrelated but I don't get CTD's at all.

What I'm seeing with the new update (Oct 2008) in regards to SFP1 mods (specifically the Korean War mod) are:

CTDs

No Weapons in loadout screen

Funky aircraft behavior- like open cockpits during flight, no props on prop-driven aircraft, etc..

Are you copying an updated Objects/Weapons folder from, say, WOE over to SFP1 (or vice versa)? That's what it sounds like in your post.

What I'm seeing with the new update (Oct 2008) in regards to SFP1 mods (specifically the Korean War mod) are:

CTDs

No Weapons in loadout screen

Funky aircraft behavior- like open cockpits during flight, no props on prop-driven aircraft, etc..

Are you copying an updated Objects/Weapons folder from, say, WOE over to SFP1 (or vice versa)? That's what it sounds like in your post.

the CTD and the weapons problems are 99% of the time user mistakes and the funky behavior is due to useing older aircraft in the patched install.most need simple updates to get them working.the FM for most prop planes will need alot more work.the knoledge base and many posts here are dedicated to the tweeks needed to get somthing working.