Sign in to follow this  
WombRaider

Combination Weapons Pack 2.52 Issues Thread

Threads on the Combination Weapons Pack 2.52 issues merged.

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the effort that went into doing this...believe me, I know the effort involved.

That being said, I get the feeling some of this was rushed and not thought through as well as it should have been.

The idea of such a thing is to eliminate the errors that have been showing up, including duplicate weapons, missing effects, alterations of files without the original author's knowledge (which could have helped avoid errors).

For those who don't know, I am putting together a 'all-in-one' mod for WOE which combines the best mods for the GermanyCE terrain, including enhanced airfield lighting, road airfields, increased NATO air defense mods, trees, tiles, etc. The idea is to go from stock to awesome in one easy to install mod without or with minimal errors. The only reason it hasn't been released to the general public yet is that I'm waiting on CA_Stary's awesome 4 season's mod.

Anyway, for those in the know, not only did I run this by my fellow CA moderators to beta test, but I also ran the beta by every person who's work is in the mod (at least, I attempted to, some folks I couldn't get a hold of or they couldn't access the file). The main reason is for those who's work is in the mod, and therefore know their work best, can look to see what has been altered and help fix it if there is a problem.

I think that should have been done for this weapons mod. A closed beta with those people who's work is directly in the mod does wonders for bug fixing because I guarantee they'll see the errors first.

Also, you as the compiler have to keep track of what you changed from the original owner's configuration, and be prepared for the consequences of such. Swapped LOD files and missing effects are things that can cause all sorts of problems. Stuff like this needs to be either worked on, or spelled out in a readme (what other things you might need, etc).

Yes, it's a long and very tedious process. Yes, you might get sick of looking at it after a while. Yes, there are about a billion things to consider. That's part of the responsibility of putting together something like this. If you're the 'goto' guy, guess who people are going to be going to when it doesn't work right.

I would recommend a reattack on this with a very specific plan in mind (consistent naming conventions, exactly which models to use, effects, etc). My personal technique is I run a dead stock install of SFP1 (or pick your favorite) to test things (like a weaponspack, aircraft, terrains) with an established baseline. That way, anything that doesn't work can be immediately traced and documented. You would not believe how important it is to have proper documentation of something like this...helps a lot in squashing bugs.

Let me be clear here...this isn't a b***h session. For a freshman effort, it's not bad, and we learn by doing. Consider this a learning experience, and use this debrief to make a better product.

Good luck.

FC

I am fixing the issue with the effects. Did not know the nukes were modified to use Lexx's, those are going to be changed back to default. Been in contact with Lindr and Krizis about ironing some issues as far as rocket positions and others.

The readme is being expanded to include a better explanation as to why there are duplicates of the Russian/Soviet Air to Air missiles, etc. Will this thing remain a beta, yup, it's always going to be a work in progress. I am currently working on beta 2.53.

Have their been issues since the first beta was released weeks ago, yup, are there still issues, yup, will there continue to be issues, probably.

If you find issues, let me know asap. Is it possible something makes it past, yup, considering over 50 ini's are used to compile the one single weapondata at the end.

Maby somebody found it before me but if not:

Kh-25ml missile need seeker.tga file in folder...