Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

The Terrain Editor Thread

Honestly, I've never checked. I'd assume so....

if you're planning on doing a targets ini for that map above, you'll have to start with a completely clean slate ... it's very doubtfull that ANYTHING from GermanyCE is gong to be anywhere close, as that map is substantially larger, and centered on a different 0 point.

Now, mind you, that dosen't mean you CAN'T use the target layouts as listed in the GermanyCE_Targets.ini, they'll just be in a different X/Y coordinate on your map.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik

if you're planning on doing a targets ini for that map above, you'll have to start with a completely clean slate ... it's very doubtfull that ANYTHING from GermanyCE is gong to be anywhere close, as that map is substantially larger, and centered on a different 0 point.

Now, mind you, that dosen't mean you CAN'T use the target layouts as listed in the GermanyCE_Targets.ini, they'll just be in a different X/Y coordinate on your map.

Wrench

kevin stein

What is the fix for stuff sunken into the terrain?

pfunk

Wrench

kevin stein

Is there an upper limit on target area's in the game engine?? I mean it would be such a vaste of time starting on a terrain this size. If you cant fill it with targets. :dntknw:

The upper limit is the ability of the computer to handle it. But if you place to much targets to close to each other you will face rather slideshow then action in game.

Sunken objects into the terrain can mean, that you have placed them onto tiles which have a big value entry in the HeightMapScale. (_data.ini file) You cant solve it. The only way would be to use smaller values or not to place objects on this tiles. This is the reason, why try to avoid to place targets on mountain tiles in my Afghanistan terrain.

Edited by Gepard

Looking at some other listings I've seen, I "think" the upper-most limit to target areas is 999 -- I have the echo in my head of TK saying somthing like that.

As to sunken objects, it's pretty much as Gepard said -- try to avoid those types of areas, make the adjustments in the data ini, and you can even cheat and pull the various _hm.bmps and paint them black, giving a 0 alittide (did this for my rebuild of Gepards Israel2 terrain -- in fact, used ALL the adjustments!)

Wrench

kevin stein

How can it be that I dont have any Sea tiles to work with??? I have converted any TGA's to bitmaps but they dont show in the texture map list. Even tried to edit that list but nothing is added when you press Ok. When I press auto texture any sea area is filled with Field tiles. What did I miss????

Sounds like you use the wrong TE version. If you use SFP1 tileset as basic for your terrain, then you must use the old version for autotiling. The new version works with WOE, WOI,FE tilesets. Why? I dont know. Its simply a fact.

Sounds like you use the wrong TE version. If you use SFP1 tileset as basic for your terrain, then you must use the old version for autotiling. The new version works with WOE, WOI,FE tilesets. Why? I dont know. Its simply a fact.

I'm using the newest you posted and I'm working in WOE so that should be matching. I'm even using the Testurelist WOE that came with that TE where all the water tiles is added. so I'm a bit clueless.

Found the error. Didnt unchecked the box with Alpha Layers when converted the TGA's to BMP's. Up and running like it should now.

how do put several DEM in TE to make a large map?

thanks for the help

import the needed DEM's in TE and export them as bitmaps. Then use photoshop or whatever program you are using to sticth them together import the new bitmap DEM in TE and Voila

import the needed DEM's in TE and export them as bitmaps. Then use photoshop or whatever program you are using to sticth them together import the new bitmap DEM in TE and Voila

thanks

my TerrainEditor crashes when I try to open the texture list in my terrains folder, but it's able to load the texture lists in the actual terraineditor folder? (even though they're exactly the same)

because the texturelist ini MUST be in the terrain editor, as well as the terrain folder. it don't work any other way

along with any and ALL terrain tiles; the water tgas MUST be converted to bmp

wrench

kevin stein

Ok, according to Gepard's instructions, in part 3, it says a window will pop up when I enter the coordinates of the map. What map?

Ok, new question. Now that I've been able to get the box to pop up asking for the DEM to popup, I've selected it (W100N90) and then it processes. However, the screen doesn't become "greenish" like Gepard says. Did I do something wrong here?

Hi Viggen, so your Height field is not showing.

What long and lat are you inputting?

and is the area you defined completely inside W100N90? (guessing you're using the 1000km box as in the tutorial)

This happens if the DEMs you load are not the ones TE expects.

If your area is on the corners it might need more than 1 DEM file.

Latitude: 41N

Longitude: 70W

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Latitude: 41N

Longitude: 70W

Is this the upper left corner of your terrain? If I'm not mistaken that coordinates are east of Rhode Island.

I tried the values in TE, and it asked for a second DEM file, so download all the ones you need and feed them to TE.

I think you need 4 DEMs. Let me download them and see whats up.

Edit: Ok your coordinates are in the ocean. It only comes up as a small island in the middle of Atlantic.

I used different LongLat and fed in the w100n90 and w100n40 with a 800km map this is what I came up with.

It's weird because I've been trying for a while and I kept getting somewhere in Greenland.. :blink:

In my experience if your area covers 4 DEMs, then you feed in the order of:

1 2

3 4

But in your case it was just 1 and 3. Hope this example helps?

post-30257-1243258658_thumb.jpg

Edited by pureblue

Thanks.. now how do I load terrain into the editor???

The question should be "what kind of round should I load into my pistol before I load the terrain editor"? :biggrin:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..