Sign in to follow this  
pl80

bombsight in WoV

Is bombsight available in WoV or is it a mod (or any other addition)? If available, how to turn it on? Does F4 have one? Does a fighter have a bombsight? How to turn it on in A4 then?

Questions were asked in order of importance. Pleeease answer the 1st one, or I'll have gray hair :(.

Is bombsight available in WoV or is it a mod (or any other addition)?

No, it's called a "gunsight", as the bombers are AI controled and really not designed for player use.

If available, how to turn it on?

There is a horizontal bomber 'bombsight' mod available; check in the "cockpits" section in the downloads. Be advised, it messes with your views, and might not be compatable with the latest patches.

Does F4 have one?

Couldn't tell you about "Falcon 4", but the F-4B/C/D/E/F/G/J/N/S Phantom has the aforementioned "gunsight" thingy

Does a fighter have a bombsight?

No. It has a "gunsight". If it had a "bombsight", it would be a bomber, wouldn't it??? :wink:

How to turn it on in A4 then?

Again I can assume you mean the A-4 Skyhawk? Like all the fighter and attack aircraft, the "gunsight" is on ALL the time. When selecting you A-G ordanance, the "gunsight" automatically depresses to (hopefully) give you a bette aim angle in the dive or glide bombing attack.

------

By these questions, one can assume you're new to air combat flight sims?? If so, you'll definately want to spend to some time reading the pdf that comes with the SF/Wo* series of games- you'll find it in a folder called "Manual". Although mostly concerned with game operations (installling, troubleshooting, etc), there are some factoids on aircraft operations, and weapons delivery.

You'll also want to spend some time in our Knowledge Base -- start at the beginning and read EVERY thread in there. Somewhere else around here, is a Forum in the "Military and GEneral Aviation", that has a 'Air Combat School" sub-forum.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=155

may have to sift through a lot of muck to get the gold nugget you want, but there's some good data in there.

Happy Hunting!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench:

Many, many thanks for the enlightenment, exactly the answers that I needed! :good:

I'm ok w/fighting enemy fighters, taking them down w/all kinds of weapons, just this bombing thing...

But yes, I am new. And I have a lot of fun. Thank you again.

pl80

p.s. by F-4 I meant Phantom, and by a-4 I meant Skyhawk, you are correct.

I don't know if you fly the A-6. There is a CCIP download somewhere here in the files. I dont know if it works on other aircraft though. You might have to do a little searching for it.

The gunsight functions as a bombsight, but unlike in reality, the sight is fixed at one angle (which varies with the type of air-to-ground weapon selected).

So, you have to figure out what kind of profile makes that depression angle accurate, i.e. start diving from 10,000 feet and 3 or 4 nm from target then hold the sight on the target and release at 3 or 4 thousand feet.

Alternatively, you can choose your own start height/distance and release angle, then adjust the depression angle in the ini file until it matches where your bombs are hitting.

Of course, it would be nice if TK would allow you to set the depression angle to any value you want while flying, but he considers that outside of the boundaries of his "sim-lite" marketing approach.

I find that if you use a steep approach angle and release at the lowest possible altitude that will allow you to pull up from that steep angle, you can get very accurate with just a little practice.

Of course, when you use my super low release technique, if you spend too much time lining up the sight before the release, then you might go too low.

You can take damage from your own bombs, but far more likely you won't be able to pull out and will impact into the ground.

^ So you are advocating dive bombing? As out dated as it is, the Wo* games tend to make that the easiest way to deliver bombs. For me its either dive bomb or low and fast pass. And I risk blowing my own tail off then.

Bombing in any plane that does not have a CCIP takes lots of practice!

In order to have the bombs hit at a point that can be seen on the gunsight (such as the default depression angle) you have to dive fairly steeply and/or at high speeds.

Otherwise, gravity pulls your bombs down in an arc that always falls short of your sight.

I don't have the patience to line up exactly for every drop (only when I am down to 1 bomb or have to try to use 1 bomb per target).

So I come in at whatever angle/speed and pickle about 3 bombs starting when the pipper is on the target and dropping the other 2 in at a steady even interval (knowing the first bomb will probably be short since I am not at the right angle/height/speed). Usually, the middle bomb gets the target.

If I approached to wild, maybe all 3 fall short or all 3 fall long, or the interval spaces them out too far and the target survives safely in between.

But if I start at about 8 to 10 thousand feet at 3 to 5 miles, this technique gets me a kill most of the time with Mk 82 500 lb bombs.

With rockets, I use almost the same approach, but fire a lot more starting before the pipper reaches the target and ending well after the pipper leaves the target.

When I am more patient, I can use fewer rockets, but when I am pitching wildly, the interval gets too large if I don't ripple off quite a few.

I try to release at less than 1 mile from the target and at 3 to 5 thousand feet. Any further away or any higher, the interval between impacts gets too large. Any lower or closer, I have trouble getting the pipper in the right place without hitting the ground. I like my airspeed to be 400 to 500 knots, though I will use whatever speed I have as long as I have sufficient pitch authority and will be able to pull out without hitting the ground or getting fragged by my own bombs.

not to mention trying to bomb something while dodging flak and SAMs and trying to shake migs all these things will effect your technic (lol) :biggrin:

Practice does make perfect. A good beginner bomber is the A-10 or the A-4. I tought myself to bomb by doing countless strike and anti-ship missions, until I discovered the bomb range terrain, which is avaliable in the downloads section HERE <-- (Link)

At one point, I couldn't "Hit a ruddy oil tanker with bombs", but just today I hit a bar lock radar bang-on with a mk-82 500 ponder launched from an F-4.

The manual says:

"In the F-4 Phantom II, the LCOSS also has roll tabs and a range bar. The range bar moves from roughly the 1 o'clock position (delineating maximum range) to the 6 o'clock (showing minimum range) and reflects different distances according to the weapon selected."

Where the hell are the 'roll tabs' and 'range bar'? I choose an A/G weapon and I only witness the gunsight depress. Anything else I have to do?

Don't sweat all those technical details found in the manual.

My advice would be to download "The Range" with the link supplied above and test out different things there. Once you choose the weapon and the sight adjusts, knowledge of chosen weapon, the circumstances, and common sense will be all you need to factor in before delivery.

Wow, what a helpfull response!! Partly right, however. Practicing dive and 'laydown' techniques somewhere like The Range, without having to to worry about enemy aircarft or air defenses is a must.

BTW

Now, to answer the actuals questions...

Think of the roll tabs as an artificual horizon at eye level on the gunsight glass.

rolltabs.jpg

As to the rangebar, I've never seen it on an A-G mission but it sure shows up in A-A ...

rangebar.jpg

in the screenie above, you can see it at about 5 o'clock on the gunsight reticle. It'll move around the circle based on range. Much more visible when switched to guns. This is a Sparrow lock, near RMin.

Reading the game maunal is ALWAYS a good thing...

Wrench

kevin stein

Reading the manual is the first thing someone should do.

Going out practicing and having "i wonder what will happen now?" moments is just as valuable as far as i'm concerned.

Instinct helps a lot. The first time i used an F-4 the roll tabs made sense as soon i changed direction. Also, i tend to rely on the MK1 eyeball for judging distance in A2A. Perhaps i should use the range bar, but i'm too used to keeping focused on the target.