Sign in to follow this  
HotNess

best ww2 flying thingy.?

allo you lot,

right,ive been into flight sims for many years...but belive it or not ive never played a ww2 one yet...so which shall i try out.?

whos got best graphics n campaigns..so far i been confused with how many il2 versions / add ons there are....i just seen a copy of il2 1946 in the shop..that any good.?

other one..is BOB2 wings ov victory..?

oh an i just remeberd..i have played one..but that was many yesars ago with microprose b17...does that make me sound old..? :biggrin:

xx vanessa xx

IL2 1946 has all of the il2 versions packaged together, so it's your best bet for WW2 simming.

I play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 for all of my WWII air combat needs. Although I'll play the latest updated Strike Fighters Project 1 to fly the He-219A-7 over snowy terrain to shoot down some Lancasters, Halifaxes, ...etc. I don't plan on getting BOB2 any time soon since the twenty some maps available with IL2:1946 keep me quite content for now.

Despite its myriad drawbacks and limitations, Il-2:46 is still the best bet. I also have a heavily modded CFS3 install on my PC, but I can't really recommend it anymore. As mentioned you can also mod any of the TW sims into a WWII-era sim complete with maps and planes and ground objects, but it's not really the easiest way to go.

Tought Il-2 1946 is a exellent simulator, if you seek some Arcade, Multiplayer Action, I recommend Fight Ace III. Its Arcad:ish but you still have a realistic ammount of ammunition, fuel and such. It also devides each country for its own on some maps, so its entirely possible to fight with P-40:ies against Soviet or Brittish Fighters. Level bombing is also great fun in the game (try getting a fully loaded B-17 off the ground and up to combat attitude) and Torpedoes against the Carrier Air Groups with their flack and fighter screens is truly something you should try. The looks arent the best - the feeling is. The game is free to download and play Single Player (only training maps) and cost a monthly fee to play, however to enjoy a taste of multiplayer, you both get a trial for 14 days - and after that there is a freeware arena open for all players.

https://fighterace.ketsujin.com//Default2.asp

I like the Pacific Fighters varient of IL2 way to fly in WW2.

Can't add New planes but gobs of skins.

:ph34r: CL

If you like multiplayer, try Aces High II from http://www2.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html

It is free to download.

There are offline missions to use for practice (you can create your own, but the game comes with a few and there are many available from other players).

But it is mainly a subscription massive multiplayer online game, which you can try for free for 2 weeks.

Warning: the free 2 week subscription will make you an addict!

IL-2 has better graphics and more detailed/complicated engine management (not necessarily more realistic), but IMHO Aces High II has far better flight/gunnery/damage models.

I prefer BOB2 over IL-2.

BOB2 is truly amazing: graphics, terrain, realism, AI, huge bomber raids, etc.

The only limitation to BOB2 is the planeset/map/campaign: you better like flying only Spitfires, Hurricanes, Bf-109s, etc. over the English Channel.

Having said all that, the IL-2 series is the most comprehensive WW2 flight sim ever released, I can't imagine any combat flight simmer not having owned it/played it.

IL-2 1946 has everything wrapped into one big package, so it is the way to go.

While I own every IL-2 release (except 1946), I have never really gotten into it, but I thoroughly enjoyed taking off/landing on aircraft carriers with F4U Corsairs: challenging and fun.

i always have liked Jane's WW2 Fighters. its an easy game to start off in, with pretty damn good graphics for the day. and when it gets easy, all you have to do is bump all the settings up and it can be a real challenge to fly and fight.

BOB2 is oustanding. I can't stand the IL-2 series anymore after playing BOB2. You have to see the huge dogfights to believe it.