Sign in to follow this  
Tecumseh

A-4 vs A7 comparison/ opinions?

SLUF. Dogfighting ability goes out the window when you're low and fast in a valley anyways. The Scooter just doesn't do it for me because you can't load the scooter up without sacrificing self defense AAMs. With the SLUF, I can load up ordinance to level a city, and still have something to defend myself with. Besides, if you do it right, you can sneak by most defenses if you terrain mask. I routinely fly (not the SLUF, never thought of it yet) in ANW, BlackSea and always snuck past or evaded SAM/AAA defenses. Sure okay, I've gotten sawed in an F-35 by AAA, but that's not very often :good: So I would go with skill and knowing how to push the aircraft.

And as far as the woman issue goes... the jury's out on that one, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

SLUF, although I do like the Scooter as well. SLUF has the advantage in avionics and payload, plus, it has an M61 Vulcan. A-4s are fun, but the SLUF must have replaced them for a reason...

SLUF, although I do like the Scooter as well. SLUF has the advantage in avionics and payload, plus, it has an M61 Vulcan. A-4s are fun, but the SLUF must have replaced them for a reason...

My perception is that the A-7 replaced the A-1.

It appears all the A-1 Squadrons that operated in the SEA conflict went to the A-7.

Then again I rarely think past WOV years unless I see it flying over my house.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

And on that note... is it me or just the Air Force A-7s had Mavericks? And not the Navy ones?

The one thing that keeps coming up in the comparison between the two aircraft is dogfighting capability.

I don't know about anyone else here, but whenever i drop my bombs on a target up in Pack 5 or 6 my natural inclination is to get the hell out of Dodge as fast as possible. Sticking around to go mano a mano with MIGs is something that never even remotely enters my mind.

SAMs and AAA are bad enough to face on a daily basis. Get cute with MIGs enough times and you'll end up on the wrong side of a gunsight sooner or later. Why bother decreasing your odds of survival by spending even a second longer than you have to over enemy territory?

Edited by Lt. James Cater

The one thing that keeps coming up in the comparison between the two aircraft is dogfighting capability.

I don't know about anyone else here, but whenever i drop my bombs on a target up in Pack 5 or 6 my natural inclination is to get the hell out of Dodge as fast as possible. Sticking around to go mano a mano with MIGs is something that never even remotely enters my mind.

SAMs and AAA are bad enough to face on a daily basis. Get cute with MIGs enough times and you'll end up on the wrong side of a gunsight sooner or later. Why bother decreasing your odds of survival by spending even a second longer than you have to over enemy territory?

True. For that, i would get Thuds or Aadvarks. As seems we are talking about navy, so lets say that i would pick an Intruder or a Vigilante.

If as you said going mano a mano (hand to hand) was a matter for self defence or polivalence, i would pick not these, but a crusader or a phantom

Agreed man, everybody thinks the "life" is flying around looking for planes to shoot down. Fact is right, if you're loaded for bear and about to drop alot of ordnance, the last thing you need is Blue/Red Air. I dodge the jokers like crazy. I managed to slip past four MIG-31s (thankfully I didn't add the AA-9s until afterwards), but everybody envisions a nasty dogfight when dropping ordnance. Not me bro, I drop and split. Which often times I carry one self defense AAM, ONE. Therefore I'm not in the mood to slug it out, and AMRAAMs in mountainous terrain just don't worky. So I slip in, drop and jet out of there. Okay if I reattack for a bad drop, natch, but after I get a mission successful I'm boogie nights my friend :good:

Feels good in the A-7 though when you have AIM-9Ls and pop a couple off at any Flogger foolish enough to overshoot...bye-bye Mr. Commie!

Shoot it feels good to splash anything that's trying to shoot you down :smile:. One addendum though Lt. Carter. Fly DBS and you need to carry AAMs. That's the only map where AAMs balance out A2G ordnance. There's just no other way to get past that one though, and I don't try and dogfight it out, and quite honestly where I get most of my A2A kills anyways. And that's just doing Strike, Reconnaissance, or CAS missions. That I think is where the argument can be changed though...

Well unfortunately in WOI there have a been a few times Ive been stuck with MiG-21s chasing me home regardless so have felt obliged to shoot them all down haha - also useful for helping the wingie out too!

Bleagh, I bring him along for SEAD, CAS, and that's about it. The rest I can do myself. Danger Bering Straits where I do bring him for ANY mission, but then again he's good as a A2A platform, and not good since he can't use AMRAAMs (yeah I know, gonna have re-install WingWiner's AIM-120C, it's a beautious missile model). Hell before I hit the "Wall" in AmericaNW, I went low and fast, was being chased (I think) by MIG-23s. I managed to plaster two into the ground, and I hit a real bad part of the Wall and got myself. It was nice, a "five wet" A Hornet being chased by four Migs... yeah I went Winchester at the recon objective (had to get them off my back, so I feel you column5.... :good:) but man I had to move out of that place!